• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Hyper Armor?

User Info: Dagorha

Dagorha
9 years ago#1
I keep hearing this phrase tossed around a bit but haven't seen any info on what it is exactly. Anyone one mind filling in the blank?
Songs that the Hyades shall sing, Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in Dim Carcosa.

User Info: W_S_Burroughs

W_S_Burroughs
9 years ago#2
valkod23 posted...
Absolute_cyn posted...
anyone care to explain what hyper armor means?

man i wish i played demon souls T_T

Hyper armor is a hidden attribute given to certain weapon categories in DeS, namely Large Hammers, Very Large Swords, and Greataxes I believes. Once you started to swing a weapon in that category, 1-handed or 2-handed, you could not be stunned (poise wasn't in DeS) to stop the attack. That weapon was going to connect with something, whether it be the floor, wall, ceiling (low ceilings in 2-2 are an example with bearbugs), a shield, or a person. I don't even think you could parry them. I know you could parry Garl Vinland with a properly timed parry when he was 1-handed Bramd, but he was a proto-Paladin Leeroy and Bramd was the heaviest item in the game and he had the strength to 1-hand it, so missing a parry against Bramd 1-handed was painful at best, trying to parry Bramd 2-handed was impossible and almost always fatal.

In short, once that weapon starts swinging in DkS, if it's got Hyper Armor as a hidden attribute, no amount of hits will stunlock you. So heavy armor and hyper armor capable weapons can really screw with people who try to stunlock them and also rely on very light armor.
smash the control images, smash the control machine.

User Info: Radman55

Radman55
9 years ago#3
its basically allowing you to tank a hit without the animation being interupted.
a good way of thinking of it is guaranteed poise.
so if you have a greataxe i assume and do an r2 with 0 poise youll have hyper armor and still be able to tank the hit.
^although i dont know how hyper on armor was implemented so i could be wrong on how it works

im wondernig if hyper armor has been melded together with poise cause that would make it lot less broken if it is. just cause u have a large weapon doesnt mean u should get hyper armor. it should add a certain amount of poise with a end str calculator effect maybe but im probaly thinking too much about it
Zhao yun

User Info: Dagorha

Dagorha
9 years ago#4
ah thanks.

From what I read it wasn't in Dks before but was reimplemented. So I assume it's all of the heavy weapons then. Great Axes, Great Clubs and Great Swords. Would that be a fair assertion?
Songs that the Hyades shall sing, Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in Dim Carcosa.

User Info: Edwin Lim

Edwin Lim
9 years ago#5
Its a term taken from fighting games. Invincibility frames is another way of saying hyper armor.
Driving a PC racer with the keyboard is about as effective as typing an e-mail with your car's steering wheel. ~ Brian Ekberg

User Info: Radman55

Radman55
9 years ago#6
Edwin Lim posted...
Its a term taken from fighting games. Invincibility frames is another way of saying hyper armor.

its not i-frames oh god if it was lol thatd just be effin hilarious. ur just affected by hit stun with hyper armor but u still take the damage. although i havent played the pc version and im only going by fighting game terms. so somebody can confirm
Zhao yun

User Info: Edwin Lim

Edwin Lim
9 years ago#7
Oh and BTW, the heavy weapons in dark Souls do not give you hyper armor anymore unline Demon's Souls. In this game, a new parameter called "poise" becomes the new hyper armor "gauge". And you only get poise by wearing equipment that gives you poise or when you equip a certain ring. more poise means more stagger resistance.
Driving a PC racer with the keyboard is about as effective as typing an e-mail with your car's steering wheel. ~ Brian Ekberg

User Info: W_S_Burroughs

W_S_Burroughs
9 years ago#8
Edwin Lim posted...
Oh and BTW, the heavy weapons in dark Souls do not give you invincibility frames anymore unline Demon's Souls. In this game, a new parameter called "poise" becomes the new hyper armor "gauge". And you only get poise by wearing equipment that gives you poise or when you equip a certain ring. more poise means more stagger resistance.

They changed this with the PtD edition changes, which is why it's coming up now.
smash the control images, smash the control machine.

User Info: Emerald_Wyvern

Emerald_Wyvern
9 years ago#9
Edwin Lim posted...

Close, but it's just the DeS community's way of saying Super Armor.
"Hey I know! I'll use my trusty frying pan.. as a drying pan!" - Brock

User Info: yillin

yillin
9 years ago#10
Super Armor and Hyper Armor are different. Super Armor was a moves ability to absorb 1 hit before being able to be stunned again (Focus Attacks in Street Fighter 4). Hyper Armor was a moves ability to absorb more than 1 hit (Hulks standing heavy and Sentinels crouching medium in Marvel vs. Capcom 3). In all situations the character still takes damage, they just don't receive hit stun.
There's a calm before the storm and the western front is quiet. I've got Rembrandt as my right hand and Solo as my pilot.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Hyper Armor?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A