• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 6
  3. The RE5/RE6 debate

User Info: Mott1

Mott1
9 months ago#1
Hi everyone. I've just arrived on the forum, I was going to add my thoughts to an existing post but I can't seem to do so.

I've just finished playing RE5 solo (yep, late to the party, I know!) and whilst I quite enjoyed it - particularly the middle of the game with the atols and the temple level - and think it is mostly more focused and polished than the bats***-crazy RE6 - I actually prefer the latter. Here's my reasons : -

* RE5 feels like it's an RE6-type game desperately trying to be an RE4-game. RE6 wants to be the best RE game ever (which I'd be the first to say it fails to be) but it seems confident in what it is...

* RE5 is caught between two stools. It's a press-on action game without RE4's clever, circular level design or unnerving, weird atmosphere. The action scenes lack the sudden jolts that RE4 had - RE6's lack of pacing actually works better in the atmosphere stakes

* RE6 has new villains and a new story. The final battle between Chris & Wesker in RE5, a sad decline in story writing from the excellent end to Re1/ReMake is frankly every bit as bad as the Simmons stupidity in RE6, probably the low point of the whole game - and it's even less clear what you're supposed to be doing and why. Boulder-punching to help Sheva jump away from Wesker!?

* Content. RE6's four - FOUR! - campaigns are all unlocked when you buy them, as was Mercs

* RE6's stupid moments - the camera etc - can actually be funny. In RE5 you have to keep stopping to send ammo/guns etc between Chris & Sheva for minutes on end.

Thoughts/comments?

User Info: KendoRe2

KendoRe2
9 months ago#2
Yeah RE 5 is bad. Actually picked up RE 6 last night for $4.99 for a good copy. I'll start playing it sometime this week. RE fan since 1997 just never got around to 6...lost a lot of interest in the series when they made it action.
(edited 9 months ago)

Mott1
9 months ago#3
Yep - that's why RE7 was probably a good move, even tho I'm not a huge fan of 1st person view. I hope you enjoy RE6, don't worry about the bad reviews when you play it would be my advice. It's fun in a crazy sort of way.

Agree with you that 5/6 aren't a patch on the likes of ReMake and certainly not in terms of horror. And playing RE5 all the way thru simply proved to me that RE4 was superior in almost every way to either 5 or 6 - even if it did kind of kill survival horror!

User Info: KYO2017

KYO2017
9 months ago#4
It seems many people like campaigns while others like me prefer to kill something like on mercenaries

Re4 was not made for ps3 , so they made a remake . If this was done earlier , I will be one not to play it although the controls would be better . I preferred the add-ons. Since people did not like re5 or re6 for one reason or more , they played revelations 1.

Re5 is not a bad game , but the controls are as good / bad as old re4 on ps2 . There is an improvement that blind people can not see

Re6 has better controls than re5 . It is my best game as per previous post . This forum has/ had many players banging this GAME as silly . It is only a game , but the ps3 version is very hard , even harder than " some ps3 videos on youtube " ( I did enjoy mercenaries and mercenaries reunion on re5 )

There are numerous posts/threads here on re6 . Many haters on PS3 have not fully played the game and put up a mental block , even well known revelations players. Fortunately some have decided to play the game (especially on mercenaries getting the 1 million scores )

The best first person games are on the PC as it is very difficult to emulate a first person with a controller

This is a PS3 forum
also known as Tamshe
(edited 9 months ago)

Mott1
9 months ago#5
I can't seem to get the hang of Mercenaries...

6 IS a silly game with the worst pacing of 4, 5 or 6, but the latter's constant chaos is kind of addictive. I replayed Chris' chapter 4 yesterday where he & Piers storm the hangar, and it's a right blast. And the bit where they track the invisible snake proves the game CAN do tension well IMO...

Which Revelations do you prefer? I thought the raid mode in 1 was fab, I think there's too many hunters in parts of the campaign tho and Norman is a ridiculously tough final boss. I do prefer it to 2, though I'd put both behind Remake 1, 2 and 4 - they're 'half and half' action & horror. For partially the same reason I also have doubts Remake 2 will appeal to me much from what I've seen, tho I appear to be in the minority.

KYO2017
9 months ago#6
Rev 1 is long and much harder than rev2
Rev2 was made for all previous re gamers , but you get a lot of good weapons when it is difficult in others except for mercenaries where you have fixed characters with their fixed weapons

In re games if you have best weapons and internet , you have an advantage

When one understands how re6 is played , one will enjoy the campaigns and mercenaries better ( and all the so called faults actually add value to this game , especially when it cause one to lose a combo or to get killed . If one/you try some fancy moves shown on videos , one/you may get killed on the US ps3 version or they might not work . The game feels broken sometimes , but it is a 3 dimensional game where errors are expected )
also known as Tamshe
(edited 9 months ago)

User Info: xshadohzx

xshadohzx
9 months ago#7
Resident Evil 5 is the best game of the franchise. Change my mind.

I think the general consensus is that RE5 went far to the right into making an action shooter with crap controls whereas RE6 attempted to fence straddle and had QTEs that just annoyed players to death. Personally speaking I don't think either game is as bad as RE purists make them out to be. I understand their not liking the direction either game took away from the original trilogy. Gawds know, there were really good SPGs that have been neutered because the publishers wanted to appeal to more casual gamers (i.e. make more money). I can respect their passion however many just outright resort to calling RE5 and RE6 bad games overall (and some even RE4). RE5 could've been made better if the modding community would've taken interest in changing the control behavior and making a few AI adjustments. They were both solid games in their own rights.

I rather liked the AI looting behavior you got in RE5 and wished they kept it in. Expanded on it as a matter of fact and perhaps used a shared inventory system to make managing your resources more critical. They could've used a system like Dragon Dogma where the AI doesn't loot the first playthrough but on successful replays it remembers areas you previous looted and does it for you. If I ever successfully crack RE5 open that's be one of the first things I'd attempt to do. Make the AI smarter at one it loots and what it gives and change it's weapons preferences slightly. It doesn't need much tweaking but a few changes would make it more enjoyable.

RE6 took away your ability to control your partner AI's loadout which is BS. If your co-op partner is allowed to run around with INF grenade launcher then it should also for the AI. It's like they took out the best elements of 5 to make 6 a more linear, cumbersome version with more jump scares and tripping over bodies. They even gimped the partner controls slightly in order to make more tag-along follower instead of having more control over their behavior. Sending your partner ahead into danger, allowing them to die, and controlling whether they act as backup (passive) or lead (aggressive) added to the charm of RE5. I hope in future versions they bring the concept of player control over behavior back.
(edited 9 months ago)

User Info: xshadohzx

xshadohzx
9 months ago#8
Have I also forgot to mention all the annoying "invulnerable checkpoint" zombies are in RE6? I see a zombie, shoot it a hand cannon or bazooka, nothing happens. I trip over it and walk past it then SUDDENLY it springs to life just to grapple me for another pointless QTE or to tie up my partner. Then there was the minor thing about firearms safety when the characters teamed up to push an object. The one thing 5 and 6 have in common is snatching away the player control in order to insert an improperly timed cutscene (moreso with 6 than 5). I had that shoot lined up perfectly then wham out of nowhere I get grabbed or the camera is suddenly spun an entirely new direction. Who's the designer that thought that was a good idea?

KYO2017
9 months ago#9
Are you a pc player with good mods ?

Ah yes , the cutscenes and being grabbed by a " ramplange or whatever it is called "

I tried to replay re5 but the controls and "backup saves" . ( I am not sure about re4 remake , but i was told that the controls are the same as before on ps2 People still like re remake for ps3. People are free to choose their favorites )

"invulnerable checkpoint"... please explain

Yes the AI in re6 is a waste on "no hope" campaigns , but SS ranks are achievable in solo mode

Post #7 reminded me why i like re6 best ( after 2000 hrs plus on re5 and re4 , rer and rer2 , and over 3500 hrs on re6 . Spectator on all others on ps2 and ps1 )
also known as Tamshe

Mott1
9 months ago#10
Also, is it me or is the opening of RE5 a cruel joke at the expense of those of us who liked RE4? A character who looks and sounds similar to RE4's Merchant (he even gives you guns) is immediately dispatched!

Mind you the merchant is one thing I had reservations about back in 2005, revised my opinion now but I thought he was a bit cribbed from Diablo back then!
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 6
  3. The RE5/RE6 debate
  • Post New Message