The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pinball FX 2
  3. Excellent game slightly marred by a few features (A short review)

User Info: kinglink

kinglink
8 years ago#1
So I picked up Pinball FX 2 last night first off, I love the game, the little "beat this target to raise your super score" is awesome. The tables are great, the old tables are good, but the new tables are AWESOME. They show good shots in the upper right and are a LOT more intreractive. If you've played the previous game, think Earth Defense on steroids...

Basically in single player, you're going to have a ton of fun. The only issue is I'd like the front end interface to be spiffier. Maybe suggest a table to me? Maybe talk a little crap (Hey, Kinglink is only 200 points higher than your best score on this table? You can beat him!). Maybe just show the weekly scores rather than the all time best. What ever it would do could be better. It's solid, but not spot on.

Now for the "bad". Tournament mode isn't active yet (I think it should have a "beginner's tournament" for everyone to start with. Many of the BIG features are not available on anything but the newest tables, that means with all the DLC you have it working only 4 out of 13 tables (or so). These features include Split screen couch match, Local Hotseat match, and Operator mode. Split screen makes a little sense (might be hard to really play it split screen) Operator mode would be nice, but i could understand a bit of why they wouldn't allow it (Actually does changing operator mode allow you to still publish the high score?)

But here's where my problem starts. Let's look at Local Hotseat. This is the perfect mode for company. But there's multiple problems here. First your score doesn't get recorded. Second the second player is playing on your profile, not their own, and on your controller not a second controller. Third, it only works on the new maps. I can understand why split screen might not work, but why can't I play local hotseat on any of the original game maps? They all would work? There's no down side to having it, and yet they skip the feature? Pretty weak in my opinion.

In summary, if you like pinball, this game will be a favorite, it's fast, fun and good value. If you have Pinball FX 1, there's no reason to debate, buy the second version as well, you'll get all your tables for FREE and not even have to play for the "engine". The only charge is for tables you don't already have. If you don't have pinball FX then the decision is a little harder. It's a cheap game and there's a lot of "ala carte" style to it, plus you can try tables before you buy. But at the same time, if you're really dedicated to local hotseat, or any of the new features they are offering, you may want to hold off for a moment and hope for a patch to allow it on all maps (or only buy the "new maps").

User Info: YoBrandino

YoBrandino
8 years ago#2
kinglink2 posted...
But here's where my problem starts. Let's look at Local Hotseat. This is the perfect mode for company. But there's multiple problems here. First your score doesn't get recorded. Second the second player is playing on your profile, not their own, and on your controller not a second controller. Third, it only works on the new maps. I can understand why split screen might not work, but why can't I play local hotseat on any of the original game maps? They all would work? There's no down side to having it, and yet they skip the feature? Pretty weak in my opinion.

This is my main gripe. I wish all tables had local hot seat multiplayer and really wish each player could use their own profile and controller and record their own score.

I say anyone on the fence though or who didn't have the first one (like me) to at least buy Excalibur or Earth Defense individually. And you'll be hooked and will happily buy more tables after that, like I did.

User Info: kinglink

kinglink
8 years ago#3
Totally, Excalibur is one of my favorites, and each table is awesome and I love how they all slowly evolve.

I'm not saying it's a bad game because of these flaws, but it's a little disappointing. It makes what could be a near perfect game into a 8 or a 9. Apparently on the board it seems this was a mistake (at least local hotseat being missing) hopefully they add it in DLC and the other things I mentioned. If not, I'm still happy. I've played each table a bunch and my girlfriend is into it, so that alone is perfect, but there's that little naggling problem especially because we both like it.

User Info: MrDummy

MrDummy
8 years ago#4
I would add the lack of disabiling the camera if you dont use it and a better how to section in the operators section of the tables.
Currently Playing Halo: Reach, Pinball FX 2 & AoT 1/2
(1) 360 + (1) 65" Widescreen HDTV + (1) 5.1 Surround system = LOVEi added
  1. Boards
  2. Pinball FX 2
  3. Excellent game slightly marred by a few features (A short review)
  • Topic Archived