• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. TRON: Evolution
  3. My Impressions

User Info: Captain_Japan

Captain_Japan
9 years ago#1
I bought it off PSN and played it for a couple of hours and...I like it!

Though it can be quite a challenge and that is partially because of the cheapness of some of it, the gameplay still keeps me coming back for more. There some kinks though, namely the races, there is a lot of rubberbanding going on but if you get the power-ups and learn the tracks you can get through it ok. The Recognizer levels are even tougher though, I have yet to even place a score...geeze, I feel so old. There's no difficulty select here so you're stuck with trying to best your score on your own.

The game has a story mode of sorts that takes place about 3 years after the first Tron film so the events preclude the new movie. I think all the games take place before the film and at different periods. The PS3 and 360 version take place after this PSP game. Anyway you play the part of a program named Beta, tasked to compete in games that Flynn has created and supervised by Tron. You can choose which events to compete in any order you wish and by placing at least 3rd you gain points to unlock items and open up the next tier of the events.

The event types consist of Light Cycles, Tanks, on foot, a hacking mini-game and a Recognizer on-rails shooter. And there are a few variations of each except for the Recognizer. The specific events I'd tried are Light Cycle racing(which is a lot like WipEout but a bit jerker), Light Cycle Grid(which is like the classic Tron snake game), Light Cycle Arena(which is kinda like grid but with race controls of the bikes), on foot battling(which is part platforming and brawling) and the Recognizer shooting game(which is kinda like Panzer Dragoon from an in cockpit veiw). My favorite so far, is the grid. It's classic Tron having to avoid and trap your opponents with the beam trail. And when you make those sharp turns, the whole screen turns with you. Makes for some intense matches.

As I said the Recognizer is the most difficult event in the game by far. You have to place your cross-hairs over a target, sometimes leading the target, with the analog stick and you also have to worry about you guns over-heating. I'll get the hang of it....someday.

The graphics are outstanding except for the occasional screen-tearing and bit of lag. But everything is presented well with it's blacks, bright neon lights and reflective and transparent surfaces. The game also runs at a very good framerate...good sense of speed. The music and sound is also great too, lots of techno tracks that can be pretty catchy. I don't think there are any tracks by Daft Punk but what is there sounds fitting.

I like the little details, like in the Recognizer game, when you get shot the windows of the cockpit start to crack and you can see your character at the helm. Also you can change the look of your character with different suits, colors, circut patterns and helmets which mostly need to be unlocked. You can also change the look of your Light Cycle and Tank as well. The Light Cycle races in particular have a really cool way to get a starting boost. Before the race begins you start on foot and you can repeatedly hit the X button to fill a bar to generate boost as your character runs and turns into a Light Cycle. Really cool to watch.

The game is definitely Tron through and through. I just wish some of the events were a little more forgiving and that the story mode was more meatier but, the original arcade Tron games could be pretty brutal and had no story to speak of as well. If the devs were going for that arcade angle, they succeeded. The game also has a quick game mode at the main menu where you can pick any event and variant you wish right away for you short burst gamers. There's a section for inputting codes too but where you get these codes, I have no idea.

Anyway, I really enjoy it, it's fun, challenging and a bit maddening. If there's a game type I'm having trouble on,(and there is) I can just go play another). Make this another successful movie to game translation.

User Info: Ritchie_Valens

Ritchie_Valens
9 years ago#2
how long is the story mode?
Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Captain_Japan
9 years ago#3
I don't know yet, I'm still trying to gain enough points to open up the next tier. The challenge of the event are what's going to keep the game's length up.

User Info: Ritchie_Valens

Ritchie_Valens
9 years ago#4
I see
Do. Or do not. There is no try.

User Info: cowmaster2k3

cowmaster2k3
9 years ago#5

For Recognizer, are you using the shoulder buttons to rotate the camera Left and Right? Using that helps planning your shots a lot. Also, be sure to rack up your point multiplier by not missing the enemy tanks/turrets.

Keep at it! I can get 1st place in Recognizer 100% of the time :D

Captain_Japan
9 years ago#6
Oh, so you lose points for missing shots? That makes a lot of sense.

And, I was using the shoulder buttons to look already.
  1. Boards
  2. TRON: Evolution
  3. My Impressions
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A