• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. TRON: Evolution
  3. Got the EU PSN version

User Info: Captain_Japan

Captain_Japan
9 years ago#11
And that's exactly how I look at it. The game also seems to have a heavy techno soundtrack, from what little I've seen in video form, these users aren't very good at cranking the sound up, or using the real soundtrack if at all. But it sounds good so far.

And from what I've seen, most of the games are of the top-down isometric viewpoint such as the tank battles, Lightcycle "maze-snake" type game and the on-foot fighting. The Lightcycle races and arena are at closer third person angle like a typical racing game. And the graphics are quite good with lots of clean surfaces and cybernetic lighting effects. I especially like the part where you can rapidly press X while on foot before a race to get a boost of speed as you run to your Lightcycle.

There's about five different types of games and variations of each type. One of them is called Recognizer, and is supposed to be a shooter of some kind, but no one has made a video of that yet. I can only imagine. There's also a single-player story mode I believe and a quick game mode where you can pick any mode you want. Seems pretty packed with game modes.

I'm taking the plunge regardless because of being such a big Tron fan, a fan of retro-style game collections and games that have a cybernetic look such as this.

Captain_Japan
9 years ago#12
I just want to add thatI think a compelling narrative that's makes you want to keep playing isn't really good game design in and of itself. Sure it's a good thing to have a good story in a game but it should not be the driving force. It should always be the gameplay that keeps you coming back for more. A story is just a bonus.

User Info: jatsetjay

jatsetjay
9 years ago#13
The Recognizer mode is a Panzer Dragoon type on-rails shooter. It's not bad, actually.

In terms of narrative, when it comes to a game like this, I disagree. Part of the attraction of a game based on Tron is being immersed in the world of Tron. That's much harder in the context of disconnected minigames with little or no narrative.

And, though I'm still playing it, remove the world of Tron from this game and it wouldn't have all that much to offer to be honest.

Captain_Japan
9 years ago#14
Concerning Tron though, all the classic Tron arcade games didn't have a narrative at all. They were either just a collection of games or a single game found in the film and that was enough to immerse me and thousands of other gamers. To me, gameplay is more important then story and I only need the surrounding graphics and music to immerse me into that world. It's a game where you are inside a computer playing computer games. All I really care about is the gameplay wrapped around flashy stylized graphics and retro/techo sound.

The Regconizer game sounds pretty sweet though, thanks for describing it.

Captain_Japan
9 years ago#15
Oh, and it they removed the name Tron from the game people would wonder why they did that since everything I've seen about this game screams TRON.

User Info: xist

xist
9 years ago#16
I just want to add thatI think a compelling narrative that's makes you want to keep playing isn't really good game design in and of itself. Sure it's a good thing to have a good story in a game but it should not be the driving force. It should always be the gameplay that keeps you coming back for more. A story is just a bonus.

Perhaps for you....if i'm playing an RPG without a storyline that's interesting it doesn't matter how amazing the gameplay is the impetus to continue just diminishes. Why finish a game if it doesn't have any kind of plot? May as well just keep replaying the same levels over and over....
«R Tape Loading Error»
~Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.~

Captain_Japan
9 years ago#17
Well, we aren't talking about an RPG are we. And I have played many an RPG where the story wasn't important and had a blast. Games like Diablo, Untold Legends, and other Action RPGs as well as some turn-based ones are fun even without a story. Stories are good, but the gameplay is the priority otherwise we could just be watching movie instead of wasting time plodding through battles just to get to the story. A good story is not worth playing a game just to get to it. The story should always be the gameplay.

User Info: jatsetjay

jatsetjay
9 years ago#18
And unfortunately the gameplay here just isn't all that great.
  1. Boards
  2. TRON: Evolution
  3. Got the EU PSN version
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A