• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Path of Exile
  3. How are items at high level?

User Info: wolfwing

wolfwing
6 years ago#1
Looking at the wiki and such the amount of items in the game seem a bit low, particularly uniques and such. Sure there are 1000 and 1 items to improve, change, upgrade, downgrade and such what you find, but how are the drops themselves? I play these kind of games for the loot lottery, and may not be their goal, but just curious? I got bored of games like DS1 and 2 *for opposite reasons ironicly* due to bad item diversity and quality and amount.
currently playing Mass effect 3/Diablo 3 and soon to be path of exile.

User Info: ForeverShadowed

ForeverShadowed
6 years ago#2
Unique Items in the End Game
As exciting and special as Unique items are, we know that most hardcore players find it boring if everyone in the end game is equipped with the same uniform set of items. To prevent this, we want to balance the power level of high-end Rares so that they are generally the most powerful items in the game. This means that we won’t have Unique weapons that deals a lot more damage than Rares, unless there is some severe drawback.

While Unique items may be used for specific builds, as they grant abilities that do not occur on Rares, the ideal situation is that Rares occupy the majority of item slots on your character. In the end game, we ideally want to see Unique items only being used for very specific purposes and builds. This will create an interesting and diverse end game, with top players having to rely mainly on near-perfect Rares that are so statistically unlikely that they would take thousands of hours to find by chance. We want clever trading to be a viable path to wealth and power in Path of Exile.

If we meet our design goals with both Rare and Unique items, we will accomplish two things. Firstly, we will keep the end game compelling and interesting for far longer, as players strive to incrementally upgrade and perfect their Rare equipment. Secondly, we will give new players a nice boost through a section of the game whenever they acquire a Unique item that fits their build well.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/55170
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

User Info: wolfwing

wolfwing
6 years ago#3
My stance on uniques vs rares is that.

Uniques should be a short cut, powerful and useful, but somewhat rare. Rares should eventually be more powerful, but the randomness keeps them from over powering uniques right off the back. And even if your trying to avoid making uniques too powerful can still have a decent amount. 2 per most catagories seems a bit small to me.
currently playing Mass effect 3/Diablo 3 and soon to be path of exile.

User Info: profDEADPOOL

profDEADPOOL
6 years ago#4
wolfwing posted...
My stance on uniques vs rares is that.

Uniques should be a short cut, powerful and useful, but somewhat rare. Rares should eventually be more powerful, but the randomness keeps them from over powering uniques right off the back. And even if your trying to avoid making uniques too powerful can still have a decent amount. 2 per most catagories seems a bit small to me.

PoE is still in beta remember. And I think that they are making more uniques.
Official Mienshao of the pokemon B/W and BW2 clan
Comic pull list: UXF, WatX, Hawkguy, Secret Avengers, Gambit, Cable & X-force, and JLD
  1. Boards
  2. Path of Exile
  3. How are items at high level?
  • Topic Archived