• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Path of Exile
  3. How to not get wrecked by bosses?

User Info: Stanemac12

Stanemac12
6 years ago#1
I'm pretty new, made it up to cruel difficulty, but there's a recurring theme where bosses stomp me all the time. The first few aren't too bad, the butcher and the siren in act 1 I thought were both pretty reasonable and I could use skill and careful maneuvering to slowly take them down. There are a number of bosses though that are just a nightmare for me and I feel like I shouldn't even bother using skill and its largely up to luck or a battle of attrition (doing as much damage, dying/tping then doing it again until I win) which is hard on my TPs. the worst of all though is when I literally die instantaneously, the infamous boss that's done this to me is piety in the crematorium in early act 3, I'm not sure if final boss piety would do the same since I've only fought her once and it was with a friend.

I just have no idea how to use skill on her, she just uses lightning from the other side of the screen that can kill me in 1-2 hits with no time for me to react or use a potion (not that it would have the time to heal if I did). So what's the deal with bosses like this? I'm all for being punished for making mistakes, but when the "mistakes" are not farming a full set of health and X resist gear or overleveling beforehand, I get a bit peeved. What am I doing wrong? Or is it mandatory to go with some kind of health/survivability passives after act 1 normal to get anywhere without pulling teeth?

User Info: Psyborgasm

Psyborgasm
6 years ago#2
You don't really give any info that will allow people to help you. If I had to guess I'd say you don't have good resistances, HP and Armour. I've been rolling through Cruel as a Marauder just making sure my resists are decent and I have HP around 1300.

User Info: Sasquatch8080

Sasquatch8080
6 years ago#3
I know that this is not as viable on Cruel (well it is as long as you don't die a ton of times), but put up a damn town portal before fighting bosses. At least you save your progress, and the boss still has the HP off of them when you come back from death.
Profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Sasquatch80-1868/
"And the rain will kill us all if we throw ourselves against the wall."

User Info: Ryu_Takino

Ryu_Takino
6 years ago#4
stack lightning resist for piety, change up your skill build, or open your party up and cruise in with a big group
piety is definitely a pain
Moses: Check out my new clothes? Pretty nice, ain't they?
Norma: You're... naked.

User Info: strizife

strizife
6 years ago#5
Portaling back to town over and over works pretty well so far.

User Info: FluttershyPony

FluttershyPony
6 years ago#6
The bosses are ridiculous, you need to buy resist rings to get 50-70% resist.

You'll definitely want a party to help you, the combined stuns and freezes decrease the boss' offense by a huge amount.

User Info: llaW_Enots

llaW_Enots
6 years ago#7
strizife posted...
Portaling back to town over and over works pretty well so far.

this is my strategy. thank god the bosses don't end when you die

User Info: Obsidus

Obsidus
6 years ago#8
The other thing is, the bosses in this game seem to have guaranteed one hit kill moves, or ones that are nearly so. Vaal Oversoul has that telegraphed slam attacked that I don't think you're meant to tank no matter how high your armor and HP are, you just gotta move. So stacking resists and making sure to avoid as much crap as possible is the only general advice I can think of; everything else is on a case by case basis.
Cultivating an immunity to rebuttal is not a substitute for being correct.

User Info: Steamster

Steamster
6 years ago#9
Obsidus posted...
The other thing is, the bosses in this game seem to have guaranteed one hit kill moves, or ones that are nearly so. Vaal Oversoul has that telegraphed slam attacked that I don't think you're meant to tank no matter how high your armor and HP are, you just gotta move. So stacking resists and making sure to avoid as much crap as possible is the only general advice I can think of; everything else is on a case by case basis.

Not true at all. For Oversoul just stack fire resist for the slam and have half decent gear. It's very, very far from a "guaranteed one hit kill."

Stanemac12 posted...
I'm all for being punished for making mistakes, but when the "mistakes" are not farming a full set of health and X resist gear or overleveling beforehand, I get a bit peeved. What am I doing wrong?

This game is about survival. You have to be prepared. Go sell an iron ring and a green gem to a vendor for some lightning resist gems and play cautiously. You can't always have your ideal experience from a video game. Sometimes you simply have to man up, adapt, and deal with s***. This is a stat based game, so get used to stats mattering.

User Info: kowolf

kowolf
6 years ago#10
Have one of each elemental resist potions and swap the needed one in before a boss fight. Face tank the hits until all your pots are done and tp back and forth. I find that you last longer with resist pots rather than just hp pots. You could bring in more resist pots depending on how you are doing
  1. Boards
  2. Path of Exile
  3. How to not get wrecked by bosses?
  • Topic Archived