• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Path of Exile
  3. No Full RESPEC EVER

User Info: Rydis-Shiko

Rydis-Shiko
6 years ago#71
Ninjapleas3 posted...
Rydis-Shiko posted...
Ninjapleas3 posted...
Succubus191 posted...
A full respec will affect the longevity of the game by taking away a ton of replayability. It's not like it takes a long time to get to run endgame content, there is all ready quite a few players who have reached end game and it has been less than a week since launch.

The game gives you 24 character slots ... use 'em.

Replayability should come from WANTING to replay the game to experience new things that you missed. Forcing people to restart their character doesn't add replayability, content does.

But you *want* to try a new build..the skills and play style is indeed content. It changes the way you actually play the game. You missed a completely different style of playing..skills to use.. etc. Adding new places to go isn't the only way to make replayability.

There is no reason to have a full respec

Playing through the exact same game with hp nodes instead of intelligence so you can min/max for endgame is not a different skill set or play style. Since creating new characters for a respec adds re playability, why not just force a character wipe every two weeks? Tons of fun right?

For people who like these kinds of games.. yes. D2 had ladders that did this. Many games survive on the replayability of original content. Those who enjoy this enjoy this kind of content. You don't want to replay the game.. but you want a ability to respec.

For what reason? You completed the game..what can you do with your respec? Adding a new zone to do what you can already do will not please you.

I'm all for this kind of content.. but the main replay aspect of this kind of game is different builds. Was this way with d2..ladder wipes..gauntlet legends.. same game different characters ..any style fighting game

Honestly.. seems like this may not be the right kind of game for you..maybe you should try mmo or something
If good things come to those who wait - arn't they just the leftovers of those who got there first?
There is not good or bad, just perspective and opinion.

User Info: PenguinKoala

PenguinKoala
6 years ago#72
Rydis-Shiko posted...
Ninjapleas3 posted...
Rydis-Shiko posted...
Ninjapleas3 posted...
Succubus191 posted...
A full respec will affect the longevity of the game by taking away a ton of replayability. It's not like it takes a long time to get to run endgame content, there is all ready quite a few players who have reached end game and it has been less than a week since launch.

Replayability should come from WANTING to replay the game to experience new things that you missed. Forcing people to restart their character doesn't add replayability, content does.

But you *want* to try a new build..the skills and play style is indeed content. It changes the way you actually play the game. You missed a completely different style of playing..skills to use.. etc. Adding new places to go isn't the only way to make replayability.

Playing through the exact same game with hp nodes instead of intelligence so you can min/max for endgame is not a different skill set or play style. Since creating new characters for a respec adds re playability, why not just force a character wipe every two weeks? Tons of fun right?

For people who like these kinds of games.. yes. D2 had ladders that did this. Many games survive on the replayability of original content. Those who enjoy this enjoy this kind of content. You don't want to replay the game.. but you want a ability to respec.

For what reason? You completed the game..what can you do with your respec? Adding a new zone to do what you can already do will not please you.

I'm all for this kind of content.. but the main replay aspect of this kind of game is different builds. Was this way with d2..ladder wipes..gauntlet legends.. same game different characters ..any style fighting game

Honestly.. seems like this may not be the right kind of game for you..maybe you should try mmo or something

Agreed. People want this to become Diablo 3 again.

Some people are just far too ignorant to see the positive sides of no full respec.
"I played through normal on D2, which was enough to tell me it wasn't as fun as Titan Quest or PSO." ~ Sinfullyvannila

User Info: MASKOAAA

MASKOAAA
6 years ago#73
PenguinKoala posted...

Agreed. People want this to become Diablo 3 again.

Some people are just far too ignorant to see the positive sides of no full respec.

You didn't have to respec in Diablo 3.....if you chose to then you cannot complain about it.
D3 Armory Profile - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MASKOAA-1251/

User Info: WOC

WOC
6 years ago#74
Well I understand both sides of the argument, but the main thing is that it's neither a good or bad design choice [regarding not being able to one click full respec] - there's nothing fundamentally bad about it. It's something that the developers intended. Full respecs is a new feature in character building games.

- In a computer DnD game I can't respec my character. If I screw it up I have to start again.

- In a game where I'm given a small choice of possible skills, I may deceive myself into getting something that doesn't scale that well at high levels like a skill or ability, so I'd like to be able to respec when it's absent.

You have the ability to partial respec. If you really start comparing to other games, it's a hell of a compromise being that you can also roll back skill gem levels. If your character was so bad that you have to fully respec the whole skill tree and you were at a significantly high level, if you managed to play gimped for that length of time your build [knowing that your build wasn't perfect] you can at least you know how to play with a gimped character...

So my additional thoughts; people talking about wanting full respec probably don't need it. PoE isn't exactly an easy game to pick up.

Someone also mentioned if some skills gets nerfed which affects a character build very negatively - nearly every time there has been a skill tree change, character passives were reset. When this occurs, this is the only other time when I hear people asking for a crap load of Orb of Regrets because they put their skills in the wrong places...

Another thing that people don't really talk much about is the strength of a full respec. In some passive resets players were able to build characters that would never have been feasible levelling that way because they would have no initial survivability.

You get given respec points as quest rewards for a reason, especially early when you don't even need them that early (just so you know that they exist). You are allowed to try things out. When things don't work out, use them.
"I killed him... with a SPOON!!!!"

User Info: KhelThuzad

KhelThuzad
6 years ago#75
WOC posted...
Well I understand both sides of the argument, but the main thing is that it's neither a good or bad design choice [regarding not being able to one click full respec] - there's nothing fundamentally bad about it. It's something that the developers intended. Full respecs is a new feature in character building games.

- In a computer DnD game I can't respec my character. If I screw it up I have to start again.

- In a game where I'm given a small choice of possible skills, I may deceive myself into getting something that doesn't scale that well at high levels like a skill or ability, so I'd like to be able to respec when it's absent.

You have the ability to partial respec. If you really start comparing to other games, it's a hell of a compromise being that you can also roll back skill gem levels. If your character was so bad that you have to fully respec the whole skill tree and you were at a significantly high level, if you managed to play gimped for that length of time your build [knowing that your build wasn't perfect] you can at least you know how to play with a gimped character...

So my additional thoughts; people talking about wanting full respec probably don't need it. PoE isn't exactly an easy game to pick up.

Someone also mentioned if some skills gets nerfed which affects a character build very negatively - nearly every time there has been a skill tree change, character passives were reset. When this occurs, this is the only other time when I hear people asking for a crap load of Orb of Regrets because they put their skills in the wrong places...

Another thing that people don't really talk much about is the strength of a full respec. In some passive resets players were able to build characters that would never have been feasible levelling that way because they would have no initial survivability.

You get given respec points as quest rewards for a reason, especially early when you don't even need them that early (just so you know that they exist). You are allowed to try things out. When things don't work out, use them.

+1

I already pointed out that:

- You get 36 points refund from doing certain quest. That's approximately one third of progression if you reach lvl 100
- Orbs of regret are not that rare. You can even but them from vendors.
- GGG doesn't want full respec because it will allow you to cheese the game. EG: Encountering fire mob and boss? respec and gain full fire resistance!
- Nerfing of skill and keystones... GGG ALWAYS reset the WHOLE tree everytime there is a change to the passive tree.
carriers are synonymous with instantaneous-winination - parrot_of_adun
Doesnt work in inferno, the monsters kill you and farm you for gold instead - havok718

Rydis-Shiko
6 years ago#76
The only thing I still don't get is people ask for full respecs. You can safely assume these are higher level characters. They want respecs so they don't have to play the content again. But then what content are you going to play with your respeced char? That same content you didn't want to level through.. makes no sense.

You have PvP yes..but part if the longevity if the game.. and participation is using the char you made as best you can in PvP. Not respec every fight to perfectly tailor yo your opponent. That reduces the want to get better..powers desires and cuts life from the game.
If good things come to those who wait - arn't they just the leftovers of those who got there first?

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
6 years ago#77
You didn't have to respec in Diablo 3.....if you chose to then you cannot complain about it.

Yeah, you kinda did have to respec in Diablo 3 if you wanted to play the game as the developers intended and have any right to complain about the flaws in the game as provided by said developers.

The only thing I still don't get is people ask for full respecs. You can safely assume these are higher level characters. They want respecs so they don't have to play the content again. But then what content are you going to play with your respeced char? That same content you didn't want to level through.. makes no sense.

I suspect that for many it's more of a time thing. They don't want to have to "waste time" grinding in an MMO. Given that MMOs are built around grinding the idea seems to be silly bordering on absurd.

You have PvP yes..but part if the longevity if the game.. and participation is using the char you made as best you can in PvP. Not respec every fight to perfectly tailor yo your opponent. That reduces the want to get better..powers desires and cuts life from the game.

Rock, meet Paper. He'll be your opponent tonight. Scissors had to forfeit because she couldn't find a babysitter for Glue and Glitterdust.
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.

User Info: profDEADPOOL

profDEADPOOL
6 years ago#78
Rydis-Shiko posted...
Ninjapleas3 posted...
Succubus191 posted...

The given respec points and the random dropping orbs of regret should be more then enough to get you from those HP nodes to those intelligence nodes or vice versa if needed at a certain point in the game.

I hadn't even considered this. Build around a couple central skills, make a powerful build, level a crazy amount. People deem it OP, the central skills it requires get nerfed, suddenly you're useless. Sort of like that extremely low HP build people had been doing in D3. I don't recall exactly how it worked, but it was a tragedy for people who had bought all the best gear for it. At least they COULD respec though.

I would imagine GGG would either auto reset the skill tree or let you reset it if they make a nerf that is substantial in anyway. They did that in closed beta and I am sure for at least the duration of open beta they will do that also.
Official Mienshao of the pokemon B/W and BW2 clan
Comic pull list: UXF, WatX, Hawkguy, Secret Avengers, Gambit, Cable & X-force, and JLD

Rydis-Shiko
6 years ago#79
Marikhen posted...

Rock, meet Paper. He'll be your opponent tonight. Scissors had to forfeit because she couldn't find a babysitter for Glue and Glitterdust.

Haha..Sig worthy

User Info: Nintendo guy

Nintendo guy
6 years ago#80
MASKOAAA posted...

You keep harping on about player "choice", but it's completely irrelevant. It's up to the developers to create a ruleset that furthers their vision for what they want the game to be. Anyone can do whatever they want to intentionally gimp themselves if they want to just for the challenge, but at the end of the day, if respecs are in, and there's no reason not to use them, they will be used, and in this case it's not what the developers want the game to be.

Fact of the matter is, the game is made for people who like rolling a new character to try a new build, and even does a pretty good job of facilitating this, what with leveling being very quick and wide variety of gems being pretty easily accessible from early quests. Even the items further this design; I found The Searing Touch the other day, and it prompted me to create a fire damage caster character. I was excited about doing so, even.

If you're not the kind of person who likes the idea of rerolling characters to try new builds, then you're not who the game was made for and GGG does not give a **** about you. So you can keep whining, and we'll keep drinking your tears, until you grow some common sense and go back to one of the many other options you have for games that give you what you want and leave us be with the one game that gives us what we want.
  1. Boards
  2. Path of Exile
  3. No Full RESPEC EVER
  • Topic Archived