• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Path of Exile
  3. No Full RESPEC EVER

User Info: Ninjapleas3

Ninjapleas3
6 years ago#61
Succubus191 posted...
A full respec will affect the longevity of the game by taking away a ton of replayability. It's not like it takes a long time to get to run endgame content, there is all ready quite a few players who have reached end game and it has been less than a week since launch.

The game gives you 24 character slots ... use 'em.

Replayability should come from WANTING to replay the game to experience new things that you missed. Forcing people to restart their character doesn't add replayability, content does.

User Info: Rydis-Shiko

Rydis-Shiko
6 years ago#62
Ninjapleas3 posted...
Succubus191 posted...
A full respec will affect the longevity of the game by taking away a ton of replayability. It's not like it takes a long time to get to run endgame content, there is all ready quite a few players who have reached end game and it has been less than a week since launch.

Replayability should come from WANTING to replay the game to experience new things that you missed. Forcing people to restart their character doesn't add replayability, content does.

But you *want* to try a new build..the skills and play style is indeed content. It changes the way you actually play the game. You missed a completely different style of playing..skills to use.. etc. Adding new places to go isn't the only way to make replayability.

There is no reason to have a full respec
If good things come to those who wait - arn't they just the leftovers of those who got there first?
There is not good or bad, just perspective and opinion.

User Info: StandardPhantom

StandardPhantom
6 years ago#63
MASKOAAA posted...
Why not just give people the option? HC Mode = No Respec SC = Option to respec and you can choose not to.

They did, you could play D3, or you could play a good game.

User Info: Jobbr

Jobbr
6 years ago#64
I give this 3/10

User Info: karmA_2q

karmA_2q
6 years ago#65
DignatoReRaised posted...
You already have a full respec available. Limited only by how many orbs you can find/trade for.
The C&D spy who went to the store for a pack of cigarettes and then went back to hiding in the corner is totally awesome! -arleas

User Info: __Curley__

__Curley__
6 years ago#66
You get around 24 respec points for free throughout the game. That's more than enough to correct any minor mistakes you might make.

I feel like if you want to play a different style of character, you should make a new one anyway.

User Info: dley101

dley101
6 years ago#67
What if your build gets nerfed ? I'd pay $1 to do a full respec.
OK State, Steelers, Penguins and OKC Thunder

User Info: Ninjapleas3

Ninjapleas3
6 years ago#68
Rydis-Shiko posted...
Ninjapleas3 posted...
Succubus191 posted...

But you *want* to try a new build..the skills and play style is indeed content. It changes the way you actually play the game. You missed a completely different style of playing..skills to use.. etc. Adding new places to go isn't the only way to make replayability.

There is no reason to have a full respec

Playing through the exact same game with hp nodes instead of intelligence so you can min/max for endgame is not a different skill set or play style. Since creating new characters for a respec adds re playability, why not just force a character wipe every two weeks? Tons of fun right?

User Info: Flame_Hazard

Flame_Hazard
6 years ago#69
webbc99 posted...
The skilltree is not actually as mind-blowing as it looks. There are little "hot spots" which have an icon in the middle, which give strong bonuses which you want to work towards. Think of an idea for your character, check where your nearest hotspots are and work towards it.

Yeah, I heard about the hotspots. I went ahead and dl'd it since this friend of mine isn't likely to stop talking about it until I do. But I'm more expecting to decide something I've decided on isn't fun, and want to try a different angle, or a SLIGHTLY different means of going about things, like stacking dodge instead of armor (I don't even know if dodge is a stat in this game, mind you), or aiming for faster attacks with greater mana regeneration rather than harder hitting attacks with a larger mana pool.

dley101 posted...
What if your build gets nerfed ? I'd pay $1 to do a full respec.

I hadn't even considered this. Build around a couple central skills, make a powerful build, level a crazy amount. People deem it OP, the central skills it requires get nerfed, suddenly you're useless. Sort of like that extremely low HP build people had been doing in D3. I don't recall exactly how it worked, but it was a tragedy for people who had bought all the best gear for it. At least they COULD respec though.

Marikhen posted...
Am I literally the only person who literally doesn't take posters who use the word "literally" in their posts seriously?

Also, how would you go about being figuratively about to download a game?

Your taking my posts seriously means so much to me though. How will I go on without your approval.

And I'm not certain that my usage of the word was technically incorrect. Probably unnecessary, though. You should try running around the internet, leaving your comment every time someone uses a word or phrase in an even seemingly inappropriate way. I suggest starting at "lol" and working your way up from there. Good luck.
Warning: EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE! Keep away from populated message boards.

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
6 years ago#70

Actually forcing people to replay the game to create new builds does indeed add "replayability" to the game. It might be an undesired way of adding replay "value" for many gamers, but it is indeed there. On the other hand, and in my experience, content does much less in the long run than limiting character builds to add "replayability."

World of Warcraft is the ten megaton gorilla on the MMO block, and in a way it epitomizes this completely. You have multiple paths to level your character through, but once they've done it once most players don't really care about it anymore, and that's presuming that they cared about it in the first place. After progressing through maybe 5-10% of the total available game content for most people "replaying the game" is focused much, much more around leveling alts of different classes, or alts of the same class for a different race/faction/server, than it is focused around leveling through different zones/content than before. Even with less parallel leveling content other MMOs like Rift exhibit this too.

"End-game content" is a completely different matter in this regard as in and of itself it really adds nothing whatsoever to "replayability." You might want to try a different class/build through different aspects of end-game content, but that's the mechanics of character builds creating replay value, not the content itself. Even that much replay value would be eliminated by a "rapid/full respec" option.

Simply put the drive to experiment with characters and come up with something more interesting, fun, or mechanically superior to what we've already got adds far more "replay value" than content alone which can be little more than mildly entertaining the first time through and boring drivel by the third run.

Letting people rebuild their characters from the ground up at any point in their progression, or even on a fairly limited basis, works to remove what little "replay value" there is in a game like this. Why would you bother replaying the game when the only difference classes make is the starting point on the passive grid? It might let certain builds be done better and/or more easily, but are there any builds that are outright impossible for one or more classes while being available to the rest? Even then once you've gotten a character of each type to the level cap what reason do you have to replay the leveling content? You can rebuild your characters from the ground up so there's no real reason to make new characters, and short of adding complete, and completely new, "parallel acts" to level through there's no content-driven reason to replay the game. So why do it after you've gotten one of each class to the level cap? For that matter do you even need to "replay" the game that much? Would three classes cover all "viable" builds just as well as all six classes?

/shrugs. I think that having to level a new character from scratch to do radically different builds is a pain in the ass, but I don't see the alternatives being any better in the grand scheme of things. At least not better in terms of adding "replay value" to an MMO when MMOs are designed about getting people to grind, and grind, and grind and grind and grind at the level cap.

Actually, why does replay value in this game really even matter? It's not a single-player-only console RPG with no mod support few(er) options for "cheat devices" to alter the gameplay in any significant way.
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
  1. Boards
  2. Path of Exile
  3. No Full RESPEC EVER
  • Topic Archived