• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Might & Magic: Heroes VI
  3. What's with all of the female units?

User Info: imnotyoung

imnotyoung
10 years ago#1

Or why is Black Hole Entertainment catering towards a female audience/female perspective?

No Heroes of Might and Magic (HOMM) game has had this many female units. Is this a "progressive" thing? Is this a "feminism" thing? Is this a "diversity" type thing? I think video game developers should keep social experimentation and politics out of the video game industry. When are people going to realize that most (not all) of women are not interested in video games, which is why its customer base was, is, and will be predominately male. My girlfriend, for instance, will not even give video games a try. Why? Because she is completely uninterested, just like I am completely uninterested in some of the stuff she is interested in. Do any of you know of any men who would not give video games in general a single try? I am sure there exists men like this, but they are by far not as common as women.

And it is not just the game itself, but the entire Heroes 6 package. Even this website is catering towards women. Look at some (most) of the background pictures for this website: http://img849.imageshack.us/f/female.gif/

Now let us look at the units in Heroes 6:

Please keep in mind that units that are not female are not necessarily male. For example, the Skeleton unit could be either female or male. And it is normally difficult to discern the sex of units that are not humanoid in appearance, like Hellhounds.

Haven: 4/7 units are female, 3/7 male. I count the Griffin as female because it looks female, especially when you compare it to the griffins from past HOMM games.

Inferno: 1/7 are female, 4/7 male, 2 unknown.

Necropolis: 3/7 are female, 3/7 male, 1 unknown.

Sanctuary: 3/7 are female, 3/7 male, 1 unknown.

Stronghold: 2/7 are female, 5/7 male.

Total: 13 female, 18 male.

To put this in perspective, in Heroes 3, there are only 3 units that are female (that is including neutral units).
So, what is this about? Is this a political thing (i.e., "I am womyn hear me roar!"). I think so.

Or maybe this has something to do with sex appeal? I doubt it because none of these female units are sexy in the normal sense.

Regardless of Black Entertainment's reason, they have turned the series into a joke. I love women as much as the next guy, but principally women are not physically intimidating. Therefore, it is hard to take them seriously in a war-based game, especially when they are depicted as being 120 pounds. That coupled with the curves does not make for a powerful-looking unit. Sorry. Evidently, 3DO agreed.

User Info: robertlie

robertlie
10 years ago#2

Don't really know what to say to this post,you kinda answer your own questions.

I don't care if there are more female characters then the previous games as long asthe game isgood. And this game looks GOOD. Infact i think it's gonna be the best since HOMM3. Despite ofthe slight increasing in sexy fantasywomen....

User Info: LuminousMeteor

LuminousMeteor
10 years ago#3
I won't even bother anymore... I feel sad for any one that converses with you, especially those at heroes community.
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals <3

User Info: Lornoth

Lornoth
10 years ago#4

Sexist =You.

And WTF about the Griffin being female? It's a beast that you can't tell the sex of.

And i would say having more female units is catering more to the men than the women... ah well, i realize you're just trolling but i felt i should say something.

imnotyoung
10 years ago#5
Lornoth posted...

Sexist =You.

Guy with no argument = you.
And WTF about the Griffin being female? It's a beast that you can't tell the sex of.

It looks emaciated compared to the griffins from other games, so I imagine it's female.
And i would say having more female units is catering more to the men than the women...

Yeah, if the female units were really sexy, but they aren't; they're just female. Black Hole Entertainment is trying to appeal to feminmisn/political correctness. Fail. This game is going to be crap. I'll stick to the older Heroes games.

robertlie
10 years ago#6
[QUOTE="This game is going to be crap. I'll stick to the older Heroes games.[/QUOTE]

You do that Nostradamus. Me? I'm gonna enjoy what quite possible could be the best HOMM game since HOMM3.

imnotyoung
10 years ago#7
robertlie posted...
[QUOTE="This game is going to be crap. I'll stick to the older Heroes games.

You do that Nostradamus. Me? I'm gonna enjoy what quite possible could be the best HOMM game since HOMM3.[/QUOTE]

Possibilities are cheap. Almost anything is possible.

But its more likely than not that this game is going to be horrible. Armies of chicks with dumbed down game-play? No thanks.

robertlie
10 years ago#8

imnotyoung posted...
robertlie posted...
[QUOTE="This game is going to be crap. I'll stick to the older Heroes games.

You do that Nostradamus. Me? I'm gonna enjoy what quite possible could be the best HOMM game since HOMM3.

Possibilities are cheap. Almost anything is possible. But its more likely than not that this game is going to be horrible. Armies of chicks with dumbed down game-play? No thanks.[/QUOTE]

How can you presume that the game is gonna be crap when you say possibilities are cheap? You are speaking nonsense, and it is obvious that you arent judging this game rationally...And on what do you base "dumbed down gameplay" on? Granted they are changing the resource management a bit. But what else?

imnotyoung
10 years ago#9
robertlie posted...
How can you presume that the game is gonna be crap when you say possibilities are cheap? You are speaking nonsense, and it is obvious that you arent judging this game rationally...

Anything is possible. This game may possibly turn out to be good. But given the information that has been released and given who the developer is (Black Hole Entertainment, lolz) the chances of it being good are small.

And on what do you base "dumbed down gameplay" on? Granted they are changing the resource management a bit.

You just answered your own question.

User Info: jakey15

jakey15
10 years ago#10
I'll be the first to admit I'm a chauvinist, but if you can suspend your disbelief for griffins and dragons and elves, it shouldn't be too far of a leap to buy that women can be powerful warriors.
  1. Boards
  2. Might & Magic: Heroes VI
  3. What's with all of the female units?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A

Black screen? Tech Support2 Answers
How do I get past the necro campaign? Main Quest3 Answers
Arachne Weapon ? Side Quest1 Answer
Are there only two tutorial missions? Main Quest1 Answer
Raising "Life Drain" stats? Build1 Answer