• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: CPFace

CPFace
8 years ago#1
This is a sharp little package!

The Atari 2600 emulator is basically everything I'd want from a 2600 on the DS -- all of the console switches are on the touch screen, available at all times. You can tap them to use them, or press select to toggle between game control and a mode where the DS buttons are mapped to the switches. There's even a little pop-up window to explain the different game modes whenever you hit the game select switch.

A lot of care was put into the arcade games to take advantage of the DS's control setup. Here's some of the highlights:

Pong: You can move your paddle with the D-pad or by sliding up and down the touch screen. You can set it up either to have the game on the bottom screen (so that you physically drag your paddle around) or on the top screen (in which case the bottom screen displays a 'slider' that you move up and down to move your paddle). I'm really picky about my paddle controls, and this works great.

Missile Command: Three control options. First, you can move with the D-pad. Second, you can put the game on the top screen and use the bottom screen as a trackball with fairly realistic action -- drag slowly to move a little, flick to move quickly. Third, you can put the game on the bottom screen and drag your cursor around with the stylus and fire with either the D-pad or ABXY buttons. Pretty sweet.

Centipede: Same movement options as Missile Command. Also lets you hold the DS on its side for an arcade-style aspect ratio.

Tempest: D-Pad, or a "spinner" on the bottom screen, or put the game on the bottom screen and drag to move.

Combat Training Simulator: This is a bonus game, a recreation of a military training simulator Atari designed for the army. It looks and plays a lot like Battlezone, but with a bunch of touchscreen controls to make it more realistic.

Some games are noticeably fuzzy thanks to the resolution-fudging shenanigans inherent in porting to the DS, but that's a small nit to pick. All of the arcade games have persistent high score boards. This is just a really great package.
Visit this link to be bitten by a werewolf:
http://world6.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=114199780

CPFace
8 years ago#2
Something else neat that I just noticed -- if you start a game in two-player mode without connecting to another DS, you control both players. Any game where you play multiplayer by taking turns can be played by passing the DS back and forth. It even shows on the bottom screen whether it's Player 1 or Player 2's turn, regardless of whether the original game gave any on-screen cues for whose turn it was.

Awfully thoughtful of them, I think.

User Info: Megaman Omega

Megaman Omega
8 years ago#3
When is it coming out in Europe?
3D screens.. how do they work? are they similar to magnets? PS: Please no replies from scientists.. you're always lyin, and gettin me pissed.
~ Mario64DStyle

CPFace
8 years ago#4
No clue! :D

User Info: MJongo

MJongo
8 years ago#5
This package has definitely exceeded my expectations. I only wish it didn't take me so long to finally find it!
-Mingy Jongo: Crafty Shaman Impersonator
  • Topic Archived