• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Iji
  3. Finally beat Randomhack on Hardcore

User Info: Kwingster

Kwingster
10 months ago#1
Years after I first found this game I finally beat hardcore mode. SUCK IT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i76Is6x5ufk
www.kwing.newgrounds.com

User Info: Ultimortal

Ultimortal
10 months ago#2
Nice going! The boss has quite a ridiculous amount of HP. I didn't watch the whole video, so I don't know if you used a Bluefly anywhere (crush an amulet surrounded by blood and defeat the summoned creature) or battled the shopkeepers (crush one of their wares with a rock).

The only sword more powerful than the Elder Bane is the Elder Wrath, which you get instead of the Bane if you have never picked up a sword anywhere in the game before finding it. That's a tall order on this difficulty though...
Original freeware games and more: http://www.remar.se/daniel

User Info: Malady

Malady
10 months ago#3
^ You could 2x the speed in the options for the video, and also skip the early bits, but important stuff might be missed that way? *shrugs*

Is there no link to Randomhack on the site? 'Cause it's not in Games, IIRC...

What's the ranking of the weapons? Is a Normal Dagger better than a Perfect Knife?

User Info: ZeldaMutant

ZeldaMutant
10 months ago#4
Randomhack is in Scrap Pack 1 -> nds for the Nintendo DS homebrew version, or in News -> Old News -> Randomhack Flash Port for the flash version.

Bluefly, you say? I have to revisit this for the memes.

Ultimortal
10 months ago#5
There's also a link to the Flash version on the Scrap Pack 1 page.

You can view the power of the currently equipped sword by using an Identifier. Two of the scrolls also mention the order of weapons from weakest to strongest.

According to the source code, the base power of the swords are:
Knife: 0
Dagger: 2
Sword: 4
Scimitar: 6
Falchion: 8
Longsword: 10
Duelblade: 12
Hardedge: 14
Royalsword: 16
Magesword: 18
Masamune: 20
Razoredge: 22
Excalibur: 24
Polestar: 26
Doom sword: 28
Elder Bane: 50
Elder Wrath: 99

The prefixes affect the weapon power:
Broken: -5
Dull: -3
Worn: -1
Normal: +0
Sharp: +1
Fine: +3
Perfect: +5

The power cannot be lowered below 1, and the Elder Bane and Elder Wrath cannot have prefixes.

As for the Bluefly, it's named after a type of rocket from an old DOS game called Powball.

Kwingster
10 months ago#6
I've never used a Bluefly, as I never got it to work - does the amulet have to be surrounded on all 8 sides, or only the 4 cardinal directions?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that you got a bonus if you never picked up a weapon but I never felt the urge to try it. Maybe I'll try it on normal difficulty at some point.

I don't think I crushed any of the shopkeepers' items. Not only are they really tough to defeat, but gold is quite plentiful later on in the game so it's not even necessary.

My strategy was pretty simple - shoot for a pick and empty bottle as early as possible, and make sure to always have a key on me. I crushed Bitter Berries in groups of 1 or 2 ad ate them in groups of 3 or 4. Luckily enough I came across some Amulets of Thunder that I held onto for the boss fight, but even then - with armor, Elder Bane, an ankh, and tons of items - I was stupidly close to dying.
www.kwing.newgrounds.com

User Info: ZeldaMutant

ZeldaMutant
10 months ago#7
All 8 directions for the Bluefly. Remember that you can bottle blood to move it, so 8 total blood anywhere on the level is enough. The toughest part is probably beating the resulting enemy, though I've yet to try using an I-device on it.

Ultimortal
10 months ago#8
Kwingster posted...
My strategy was pretty simple - shoot for a pick and empty bottle as early as possible, and make sure to always have a key on me. I crushed Bitter Berries in groups of 1 or 2 ad ate them in groups of 3 or 4. Luckily enough I came across some Amulets of Thunder that I held onto for the boss fight, but even then - with armor, Elder Bane, an ankh, and tons of items - I was stupidly close to dying.

That's my strategy as well - always have a pick and key and collect as many Amulets of Thunder as possible. The black armor does nothing against the boss; it only decreases enemies' vision range by 1, but the boss can always see you.

Kwingster
10 months ago#9
Just went and got a Bluefly and it really only has one use - you can use it to trash a shop and take everything. Aside from that you don't ever fight enough hard swarms of enemies to make it useful. Side note, since you can get so many items in a shop, have you considered the possibility of a player getting a Bluefly early and using the items on each shop floor to get a Bluefly for the next?

Elder Wrath was cool, but not really worth the effort in my opinion.
www.kwing.newgrounds.com
  1. Boards
  2. Iji
  3. Finally beat Randomhack on Hardcore
  • Topic Archived