• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Iji
  3. Scrap Pack 4

User Info: Kaelin

Kaelin
11 months ago#1
http://www.remar.se/daniel/scrappack4.php

I actually enjoyed playing most of these.

- Bag of Sunshine: I liked how ice cream was handled here, as well as the protag's personality in general.
- Gunnel Vision: It's a good gimmick, and the length makes it just right.
- Numjump: I got the 60 gold but didn't figure out the eight dot thing. The puzzles are built very well for the jump mechanic.
- Rocket: The math/numbers are a nice and informative touch.
- Teletank: I wish I had this back in high school so I didn't have to wait on others to take their actions.
- Violet Metal: It was heartbreaking to have to start over from a game over, but the game moves fast enough to make that issue less of a hardship. It was more fun than I was expecting.

User Info: ZeldaMutant

ZeldaMutant
11 months ago#2
Bag of Sunshine: This is super funny, cute and relatable (or should I say, frighteningly realistic). Reminds me of greats like Yume Nikki and VA-11 Hall-A. And apparently the dream world was going to be some kind of yuri visual novel? Promising. The gameplay and sound aren't much at all of course, so this has no real replay value.

Gunnel Vision: Short, sweet and to the point. I like the "unboundedly growing arsenal" mechanic, and everything works together to make things as chaotic as possible. The Doom aesthetic is nice. The quality setting is a ridiculous feature, though. Music and secrets are solid.

Jorgen: It's Jorgen again. Were Atari games really this terrible?

Numjump: The puzzle and secret design is really good, especially the ultimate level (of course I'm serious). It's neat how you hid all the optional gold behind an optional movement trick. But since there's no undo button, the game's primary mechanic ends up being wasting your time redoing things over and over again. That shouldn't happen in a puzzle game. Sound is trash, and the low resolution is annoying.

Rocket: It's okay, I guess. Very straightforward progression. The rocket booster mechanics work well, but can it really be called a space game when orbits aren't a factor? I survived from 20511.88 just to annoy you.

Rotnip Dungeon: Pretty solid. Fun and tense to explore. The sound design in the castle was really unsettling, well done. Music was nonexistent/unmemorable, though. The combat is okay.

Teletank: Has enough bells and whistles to keep me entertained. Shooting satellites down is fun, the weapons are pretty good, the music is good, and the Swedish memes are hilarious once again. Yes, the AI is so dumb it usually takes me a while to realize it's not even on. I'll have to try this with another human.

Violet Metal: I wish I could just say that the music is good, the final boss design is great, and that the armor enemies are really fun to fight. Alas, the game is brought down by the horrendous controls. The character doesn't move in any kind of intuitive way. I remember a certain instruction manual saying "It's really, really tempting to focus on your ship while you're playing. Don't. You know where it is. You put it there." That doesn't apply here. You have to constantly babysit your character or it will end up off course, which can be fatal in such a fast-paced game.

ZeldaMutant
11 months ago#3
Didn't a certain other character also basically say one of those lines?

https://i.imgur.com/E1xm3RL.jpg

User Info: Ultimortal

Ultimortal
11 months ago#4
I just updated Rocket with a simple ending message (it's not much though, it's just to let you know when there's nothing more to do), and added an alternate control style to Violet Metal with a separate highscore. With this alternate style, called 8-way in the game, the player will only move while a direction is pressed. I personally prefer the original style for how relentless it is, but I can definitely see how it can be frustrating.

NumJump uses the PC Speaker (an emulated one in the case of the compiled 64-bit executable), so don't expect much in terms of sound. :p There is one secret dot per level - look very closely and you'll see them. Touch them to pick them up. And yeah, some levels are really long when there's no undo button, expecially Enter the Machine - I'm sorry about that.

I think Teletank is the most boring of the games, but I've only played it once or twice with another person. It's just a poor clone of Destruct in Tyrian.

There are only two pieces of music in Rotnip Dungeon, which is actually the result of me playing around with the sound system from Strawberry Jam. The second song is used for the secret boss.
Original freeware games and more: http://www.remar.se/daniel

ZeldaMutant
11 months ago#5
8-way seems like too radical a change. Not being able to stop without ramming a corner is fine, it's the seemingly random turns that screw me over. If I'm in a horizontal hallway and holding right, I should keep moving right until I hit the right end of the hall.

Maybe I should play Tyrian one of these days.

User Info: Puffolotti

Puffolotti
11 months ago#6
The antivirus Grisoft warned me about

rocket
rotnip dungeon
teletank

About the content, i don't have much time right now, i opened "Bag of sunshine" and the coincidence with the fact 2 days ago i decided my project is going faster than expected and i can afford to separate the palettes and kill the green dots snitched me a laugh, and reminded me that i have got about 40'000 cels to clean before april.
There is no victory, there is no defeat. there is only work to do.

User Info: Ultimortal

Ultimortal
10 months ago#7
ZeldaMutant, the turns aren't random - you are always moving diagonally in the original style, it's just that you're usually sliding against a wall. If you are travelling horizontally while clinging to the top wall, you will go up in the next intersection, because the last vertical input you made was Up.

If you instead want a control scheme where the horizontal movement is stopped by colliding with a wall on the horizontal axis, and same for the vertical axis, you would need to hold a vertical direction to enter vertical passages that branch from the horizontal corridor you're currently in, in addition to holding the key for the horizontal direction you're currently traveling if there's another branch immediately after (which is often the case). This would either result in the player just barely missing intersections because they hit the wall on the opposite side of the current corridor too early, or the player holding two directions at once and keep travelling constantly anyway, plus making it more confusing when the character does stop because a horizontal or vertical direction wasn't held in a single or double intersection - in which case, which way should it fire when it stops? The last pressed horizontal direction if the closest collision is a vertical one? Since the character has stopped moving, there's no longer a correlation between its "facing" and its travel direction when coming out of an intersection with no input held, unless you kept track of which side of the corridor it was clinging to.

You could try to work around this by only stopping the character's horizontal or vertical speed if it's travelled a distance greater than half a corridor's width before hitting a wall to make sure that it only happens at the end of a corridor, but by that point the player probably won't know what causes the character to stop or not on either axis at basically every turn. It sounds convoluted compared to just having the arrow keys toggle the horizontal/vertical speed, which is what the game does now - the only difference between original and 8-way is that the latter stops on each separate axis when no input is made there.

Puffolotti, the games are virus free (tested with 18 scanners) - your scanner is just paranoid about Game Maker 7 files. AVG/Grisoft scanners seem poor in general. :p
Original freeware games and more: http://www.remar.se/daniel

User Info: Puffolotti

Puffolotti
10 months ago#8
@Ultimortal
I'm well aware of the fact virus scanners sometimes are alerted by safe files, and i as [human] am confident those 3 are safe.

Yet i tought the info could be useful.
There is no victory, there is no defeat. there is only work to do.
  1. Boards
  2. Iji
  3. Scrap Pack 4
  • Topic Archived