• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Iji
  3. Level maps for Iji?

User Info: goocy

goocy
1 year ago#1
I'm trying to build a perfect pacifist run on Iji 1.6, but this is fairly hard to describe in text form, so I'd like to construct a visual walkthrough. However, I've tried assembling the first level by taking screencaps from every part of each room, and this turns out to be a logistical nightmare.
Is there any way to paint a level map based on the GameMaker source files?

User Info: Malady

Malady
1 year ago#2
Could you use the broad level maps for general stuff, and then use screenshots to highlight the important parts only?

Only those who buy... Wait... 1.6... I forget, but there might be free / trial versions of GameMaker out there, that could open the files? But, the limits of the trial might stop you from opening the files at all, 'cause they're beyond the limits? Or, hopefully, they'd just stop you from saving the game...

goocy
1 year ago#3
I thought about doing a hybrid approach (overworld map + screenshots) as well, but almost every part of the level is a functionally important part of the overall puzzle and I would be taking thousands of screenshots.

I found a registered version of Game Maker 5.3A, which was used for creating Iji 1.6. However, GameMaker doesn't allow me to export its level maps.

I tried many different tools to expand my desktop size to something like 12000x8000 in order to take one massive screenshot of the level editor, but none of those tools worked satisfyingly. I also tried taking screenshots of single segments of the level editor, but piecing them together is an overwhelming amount of work. Commercial panorama software is also overwhelmed. I even tried installing Windows XP on a VM in order to re-activate some ancient Pan + Scan functionality. To no avail. I think I've almost exhausted this route.

The other approach that I tried was to insert some piece of code into the game that renders all tiles and to save them as an image. However, I'm a beginner at Game Maker, and all tutorials I have found that were able to render something as an image were only for much later versions of Game Maker. Is that a promising route?

User Info: Malady

Malady
1 year ago#4
Well... What is your Perfect Pacifist? All Ribbons, All Supercharges, Dan Saved?

And how specific do you want to be? 'Cause like in Sector 1, what might be the only point of note, is that you can only kick the Soldier for the Supercharge once, so you have to lure them to the edge then kick them.

Sector 4... Timing the jump off the Shredder so it kills that the soldier / whatever, but doesn't register on your killcount, is the really tricky part...

It might be that the only truly key points for any guide, are the Points of No Return, like the elevators that break after use, and almost everything else, you can just say, "Be here with these stats."

... Many pacifist runs are gonna be the same. Dodge Everything. Or tank it and use the explosions to kill things for more nano. Or Reflect things into the enemies' faces, etc.

-----

Ultimortal, if you're reading... Do you want to copy your Guide to here? Or do you mind if I do it?

You can summarize strategies for certain enemies at the top of your Guide, then go from there??

You could copy the Guides on the site: http://www.remar.se/daniel/ijiguide.php, and modify them a bit to be more specific...

User Info: Ultimortal

Ultimortal
1 year ago#5
I wouldn't recommend using Game Maker to generate an image large enough to cover a whole Sector - it struggled already when I made it generate the Sector maps. :p I think using the Sector maps together with screenshots would be the best option.

Malady, you're free to copy my game guide here, as long as you link to the original so people can find it in case I update it. Some of it may link to other parts of my homepage or has stuff like the text dump and 3D models, however.
Original freeware games and more: http://www.remar.se/daniel

goocy
1 year ago#6
Thanks for your advice, Daniel! I really appreciate the effort you put into this game. You were a part of the reason I decided to start building my own game.

On-topic: I haven't been dissuaded from taking screenshots. I've done my research and wrote a blogpost on creating virtual monitors on Windows (TL;DR: not possible without dedicated hardware). Then I went to my 6-monitor setup at work and took 79 screenshots in total (which looked like this: https://imgur.com/a/vWtx5). I stitched them together during a train ride, giving me 10 complete level maps. Now I'm taking screenshots from the game to fix the discrepancies between the Game Maker map and the actual rendered level manually.

This is a project I wanted to do for a number of years, so I'm not giving up any time soon. See you in a few months!

User Info: Ultimortal

Ultimortal
1 year ago#7
That's an impressive setup! Don't forget that you can use the magnifying glass icon in the Room Properties for the sector and uncheck "Show Objects", then click the Tiles tab to see only the tiles.
Original freeware games and more: http://www.remar.se/daniel
  1. Boards
  2. Iji
  3. Level maps for Iji?
  • Topic Archived