• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them

User Info: OmegaShinkai

OmegaShinkai
6 years ago#1
I still don't get what Namdai is trying to accomplish though, flight sims have a far stronger presence on PC than consoles. Maybe if the game is moddable, it'll be worth money. It'd be nice to get the two Macross skins on the US version of the game.
"When Garland knocks you down you're going to ****ing stay down." - __Skye__

User Info: Wihan_Tan

Wihan_Tan
6 years ago#2
Wth.. What is this?? What is the difference with the console version?
T-ARA Hwaiting !!
~ Queen's ~

User Info: cody4783

cody4783
6 years ago#3
Uh, last I checked Ace Combat wasn't a *sim*. It's pretty far into the arcade side of flight games....But that's the point, and what made the series great.

Curious to see what comes of a PC release. Not owning the current consoles means I haven't seen much of the series since the PS2 and PSP games...All of which I've played the absolute heck out of.
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg

OmegaShinkai
6 years ago#4
Uh, last I checked Ace Combat wasn't a *sim*. It's pretty far into the arcade side of flight games....But that's the point, and what made the series great.

Curious to see what comes of a PC release. Not owning the current consoles means I haven't seen much of the series since the PS2 and PSP games...All of which I've played the absolute heck out of.

But the thing is arcade flight games have almost no presence on computers because of flight simulation. Games like Ace Combat were on consoles because they couldn't handle in-depth sims, and those that tried to take such a route (AeroDancing, Over G Fighters, and arguably Lethal Skies) were not nearly as popular. I just don't see what Namco Bandai thinks they can get out of releasing what is widely considered the worst game in the series on a platform with a completely different market.

...besides Ace Combat Advance, but it's agreed upon by the community to never speak of that "game".

User Info: cody4783

cody4783
6 years ago#5
Granted....But personally I've WANTED a decent Arcade styled flight game on PC for ages. There are a handful out there (Wings of Prey is one I like quite a lot, but it's WWII-based), but nothing of the same quality or popularity the Ace Combat series once held. Heck, things like H.A.W.X. are "similar", but handle their structuring REALLY horribly.

Yeah, I like purist simulators with hefty flight mechanics and potentially hour-long missions just the same, but they do have their niche, even if most their popularity has developed on PC.

Chances are they're just catching on that the PC market has grown substantially and they see an opportunity for a quick buck without having to fully develop another game.

It actually saddens me that the Ace Combat series is less relevant than it once was. Back on the PS1/PS2, the games were some of my favorite titles of all-time. Played the hell out of them because the missions were diverse, it had a story that wasn't complete suck and actually made playing interesting, and the games itself just handled really well. But from what I've seen of the post-PS3/360 released games, the same structure hasn't held strong in the series.
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg

OmegaShinkai
6 years ago#6
If anything, releasing AC6 on the PC would be a better idea.

User Info: ShibuyaYakuza

ShibuyaYakuza
6 years ago#7
Agreed. I played AC6 on the 360 and I'd buy it again for the PC if the graphics is updated.

Despite the horrible reception of Assault Horizon, and indeed it was by far one of the worst games ever made in any genre, it's shocking Namco hadn't buried this disgrace and pretend it never happened, much less trying to sell it on another platform.
  • Topic Archived