• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Torchlight II
  3. Why does eye of Aleera weapon effect harm my character?

User Info: DeusMortem

DeusMortem
2 years ago#1
Just tested a weapon with the effect on the town dummy and almost died with my HC character as a result. This doesn’t happen with my weapon with an inherent 10% chance to cast Glacial Spike so I have no f***ing clue why a gem with the exact same effect can function differently. Help?
I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space -- were it not that I have bad dreams ...

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
1 year ago#2
Does your weapon's text match Aleera's "chance to cast Glacial Spike from target" exactly?

The only thing I can think of that might be the issue is that the Eye is casting "from" the target while your weapon is casting at the target or "from" you. The latter case means that you'll never be the target while the former, if bugged or just designed to do so, could mean you'd be a valid target if no enemies are nearby.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

DeusMortem
1 year ago#3
Marikhen posted...
Does your weapon's text match Aleera's "chance to cast Glacial Spike from target" exactly?

The only thing I can think of that might be the issue is that the Eye is casting "from" the target while your weapon is casting at the target or "from" you. The latter case means that you'll never be the target while the former, if bugged or just designed to do so, could mean you'd be a valid target if no enemies are nearby.

I was literally using the Eye of Aleera, and yes, that's the text. It happened both when I was in town attacking the dummy and when I was battling undead in maps. Almost killed my HC character several times until I figured out what the **** was happening.

The weird thing is, this does not happen when I use weapons with a built-in chance to cause glacial spike – only with the Eye of Aleera gem.
I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space -- were it not that I have bad dreams ...

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
1 year ago#4
That's definitely strange, and it looks like it might be an engine bug too.

"The Eye of Aleera" is named tl2_eyeofsister_aleera in the data files and has "UNIQUE_PROC_GLACIALSPIKE_5" and "UNIQUE_STRENGTH_BONUS2" for its affixes.

UNIQUE_PROC_GLACIALSPIKE_5 has the same basic parameters as all other variants of UNIQUE_PROC_GLACIALSPIKE and, for that matter, UNIQUE_PROC_METEORSTRIKE. That is to say that they all use the "cast skill on strike from target" effect with nothing indicating that it's possible to hit the player.

There's a "cast skill on strike" effect which applies to affixes such as Chaotic Rift, which might be what the Embermage passive Prismatic Rift uses (I honestly don't know), but I don't know what, if any, practical difference there is between cast skill on strike and on strike from target.

From the little looking at the data files I did it's a case of either Runic taking a massive mental circle jerk, something which isn't likely given that this, according to you, isn't an issue with other items using different Glacial Spike proc affixes, and using the wrong effect(s) or something, or it's an engine glitch.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

DeusMortem
1 year ago#5
Marikhen posted...
That's definitely strange, and it looks like it might be an engine bug too.

"The Eye of Aleera" is named tl2_eyeofsister_aleera in the data files and has "UNIQUE_PROC_GLACIALSPIKE_5" and "UNIQUE_STRENGTH_BONUS2" for its affixes.

UNIQUE_PROC_GLACIALSPIKE_5 has the same basic parameters as all other variants of UNIQUE_PROC_GLACIALSPIKE and, for that matter, UNIQUE_PROC_METEORSTRIKE. That is to say that they all use the "cast skill on strike from target" effect with nothing indicating that it's possible to hit the player.

There's a "cast skill on strike" effect which applies to affixes such as Chaotic Rift, which might be what the Embermage passive Prismatic Rift uses (I honestly don't know), but I don't know what, if any, practical difference there is between cast skill on strike and on strike from target.

From the little looking at the data files I did it's a case of either Runic taking a massive mental circle jerk, something which isn't likely given that this, according to you, isn't an issue with other items using different Glacial Spike proc affixes, and using the wrong effect(s) or something, or it's an engine glitch.

I had a very far-fetched hypothesis that this might be an issue only when you equip the Eye of Aleera on a weapon that already has the chance for glacial spike on hit attribute, because that was the case with the weapon I used. Although I'm less surprised by this bug given that I've found others as well. Notably one where a berserker loses the ability to enter his charged state (I've forgotten what it's called). Fortunately, it happened very early into a playthrough for me; so I restarted with a new character and never had that problem again. It'd be interesting to see if this bug was also character specific, although I believe I did test it on a second (this time non-HC) character, I'm not 100% certain.

1. Boards
  2. Torchlight II
  3. Why does eye of Aleera weapon effect harm my character?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A