• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Torchlight II
  3. Conveys a chance to

User Info: zadok

zadok
3 years ago#1
I read stuff and have not found a determined A to this Q yet and I hope it is simple.
I have a shield with a power that states "Conveys 10% chance to burn for 5 seconds"

How does it do this?
Aura
upon hit
when hit
elemental(fire event)
skills pre-req
everything
what is it?

Thank you in advance for being nice!
oh, at least you have your head i see. ~z

User Info: GeistSR

GeistSR
3 years ago#2
When you attack.

zadok
3 years ago#3
ty,

Define "attack" Is it a normal melee/ranged default attack; does an offensive skill count also?

i.e. If I have a fire aura on and rub up nxt to you... do you burn +10% chance to burn or negates effect because already burning? pillars of fire for embermage have chance to burn so is there effect +10% or if they do damage is there a 10% chance to burn.

User Info: tiomasta

tiomasta
3 years ago#4
That's an "added effect on hit", like a +54 FireDmg or acid rain chance or silence or damage-over-time, they're things added onto your weapon's list of effects on hit. If I have a +54 FireDmg ring plus your 10% burn with a sword of 80-120 Physical, all it means is that the sword has 80-120 Physical and 54 Fire with an additionally-rolled 10% chance to burn. If I throw a fire spell it's absolutely NOT affected by the added fire damage or burn chance, they're only about the weapon.

Only weapon% and DPS% skills can inherit weapon effects (so like MagmaSpear but not BlazingPillar), and even then, some can inherit anything except HP/MP steal, while some only inherit +Dmg and -Armor and +Knockback.
Skills that only have flat damage can only benefit from character statistics, like +%CastSpeed, +Focus, +%FireDmg, chance-on-kill.
what do you mean I can't make my life better just by repeatedly picking faults with other people instead of myself

zadok
3 years ago#5
I think I understand.
doing strange things with toons has been a favorite pastime for me in games since Priston Tale. "Convey" is still not entirely understood for me yet as opposed to "adds" .

let's say I use Embermage and slap on a cool shield, a shield w/convey stuff. would it work well if I used my main hand wep as my major attack option. Otherwise I might not waste a week building it up to see it it was the case. If the shield "conveys" I can make a nearly indestructible mage. Using sockets to reduce all damage by 5% is the trick here.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
3 years ago#6
zadok posted...
would it work well if I used my main hand wep as my major attack option.

It would work as long as the skill you use is based on weapon damage as opposed to having fixed damage. For example, Prismatic Bolt or Frost Wave do a fixed damage that's modified by skill level and attributes, thus your weapon does not enter into the calculation. On the other hand, skills like Shocking Orb or Magma Spear base their damage on your weapon and so inherit any other property the weapon has.

The weapon damage skills come in two flavors - they either deal % of the weapon DPS or % of weapon damage. In both cases you get the extra weapon effects, the difference is that with the latter it's taking weapon speed into account - e.g. a weapon that attacks 1 time per second for 100 dmg and a weapon that attacks 2 times per second for 50 dmg both have 100 DPS and would thus do the same damage. If a skill uses weapon damage, though, then the attack speed is disregarded and only the damage per hit is used to determine the skill damage.

Finally, IIRC, if you are dual wielding, you get the effects of both weapons when you use the skill. So if one weapon adds a chance to poison, the other one chance to freeze, then a skill that calculates damage based on a weapon will have both of these.
The owls are not what they seem.

zadok
3 years ago#7
great! just built my 3rd toon, embermage, just to mess it up a bit w/an idea. Turns out it is only really good for harvesting items. I went with 18 "all damage reduced by 5%" skulls. I really just created the most boring toon ever as I really have to try and die. heh.
Thanks for the info folks, Im gunna skrew around w/an engineer next.

~z

zadok
3 years ago#8
one last thing, I am going to try and build an engineer that does the most dps EVER. I sit n think about it first and have a Q about Armour.

Is it different for Monsters than us? I mean we an do -x per hit(w/development) lets say...do they?
Do we recover physical armor or is it a "cushion"? I think it's a cush ;)
I am new to this game as you prolly can see but like it and want to take it to its' fullest possible programing and break it. Is there a Pvp to test our best toons vs other folks?
It got boring super fast as soon as I figured out the death potion trick :(
  1. Boards
  2. Torchlight II
  3. Conveys a chance to
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A