• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Graces f
  3. Why do Tales titles make no sense?

User Info: MabinogiFan

MabinogiFan
9 years ago#1
Most of the titles in tales games have literally nothing to do with the universe inside the game. Graces, Vesperia (to my knowledge, which may not be much) Legendia, and as of now Xillia have no meaning pertaining to their games as far as I know.

Tales of the Abyss makes sense because there's an object in the game that is like an abyss. And Symphona's title only makes sense because it mentions that group of heroes that were named Symphonia. However, so far I've only heard that name in the game's sequel, and cannot recall them ever being mentioned in the original.

So, what's the reasoning behind these random and meaningless titles?

User Info: Knuckles07

Knuckles07
9 years ago#2
Umm... does 'Brave Vesperia' ring a bell?
XANDER: "It looks like a frown turned upside-down and then turned upside-down again."
BUFFY: "...So it looks like a frown?"

User Info: Radiantist027

Radiantist027
9 years ago#3
From my experience some of the titles have meaning

SOME SPOILERS

Phantasia - It was their first "Fantasy" RPG so maybe they spuced up the title?

Destiny - Theme, and In-Game element. Stan, at first just wanting to travel the world (I think), accidentally met Dymlos, and it changed his destiny and fate forever.

Eternia - In-Game element. its the world where the game takes place

Destiny 2 - Stan's son, Kyle, met Reala, and from there his fate/destiny changed

Symphonia - "Resoundly meet with you rpg" take a clue anyone

Rebirth - Theme. the game's theme of equality, and eliminating of Racism (and KUREAA) will help the game's inhabitants, Humas and Gajumas alike, be "REBORN" into new, and understanding inhabitants to their differences

Legendia - "Bonds that spin legends RPG" cant take a clue

Abyss - Theme. From nothing (hence Abyss) we are eventually born, and we live our lives to what we want, bound by nothing, until we die (Abyss of death)

Tempest - Storms of Cauis' origins and truths will lead him to his adventure and confrontation with someone.

Innocence - "Innocent" (meek and naive) living boy Ruca one day found out he was the reincarnation of a War God.

Vesperia - This is a star or a major element in the game's story..

Hearts - The spir maze dungeons in the game are actually the person's heart (I think)
and Kohak and Hisui HEARTS

Graces - Asbel was graced (by his knighthood, his childhood experience, his journey, and someone) to have the power to protect Sophie and his friends.

Xillia - RPG of Unwavering Convictions.

END SPOILERS

Feel free to change some of these, since iim not so sure about my explanations. :)
"I'm gonna kick your ass!" -----"sh-sh-shaa"

User Info: CielTynave

CielTynave
9 years ago#4
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/05/06/depending-on-which-character-you-pick-tales-of-xillia-opens-in-two-different-ways/

Where did "Xillia" come from? Baba says it’s derived from million and billion, in English. He wanted to have a huge number and started with "Xillion" which eventually was changed to Xillia. The significance is within a persons life there are many events and encounters with people.

Yeah, still doesn't make much sense, but at least they explained how they got it.

User Info: HollowNinja

HollowNinja
9 years ago#5
Vesperia is based off Brave Vesperia, the name of Karol's guild. The word itself can refer to a star.

Also, because Japanese people like throwing around nonsensical English.
http://backloggery.com/hollowninja
PSN: DJ_iLLi_iLL XBL: DJ iLLi iLL

User Info: Synyard

Synyard
9 years ago#6
I, for one, thought that most of them make sense.

The only one I'm not too sure about is Graces, and that is because I haven't spoiled myself on it so I don't really know.

Symphonia makes sense, because Symphony means to be in unison or in agreement. This makes sense to me because the two worlds vie for each other's mana.

The Abyss is pretty self explanatory with the Qliphoth and all.

I believe Phantasia, Destiny, Destiny 2, and Eternia are all self-explanatory.

Vesperia is a nonsense word made of the word Vesper, which is the evening star...which is what they name themselves after in-game.

As for Legendia, IIRC the ship they're on is called The Legacy. And legacy is basically just another for legend, and so they made a nonsense word out of it to sound special.

Um, other than that, take the guy above me's advice.
"Somewhere on this globe, every ten seconds, there is a woman giving birth to a child. She must be found and stopped."
---Sam Levenson

User Info: Number090684

Number090684
9 years ago#7
Synyard posted...
I, for one, thought that most of them make sense.

The only one I'm not too sure about is Graces, and that is because I haven't spoiled myself on it so I don't really know.

Symphonia makes sense, because Symphony means to be in unison or in agreement. This makes sense to me because the two worlds vie for each other's mana.

The Abyss is pretty self explanatory with the Qliphoth and all.

I believe Phantasia, Destiny, Destiny 2, and Eternia are all self-explanatory.

Vesperia is a nonsense word made of the word Vesper, which is the evening star...which is what they name themselves after in-game.

As for Legendia, IIRC the ship they're on is called The Legacy. And legacy is basically just another for legend, and so they made a nonsense word out of it to sound special.

Um, other than that, take the guy above me's advice.

Wait, how come you're saying Vesperia a nonsense word, when it's the actual name of something in the game, but Phantasia, Symphonia, aren't nonsense words?
US PSN: Number090684
Wii No. 7949-4764-9788-5707

User Info: The_FoolXXII

The_FoolXXII
9 years ago#8
Isn't Vesperia the name of that star that was in the legend? Vesperia will watch over the Child of the Full Moon, or was it the land itself?
I am thou, thou art me, WE'RE A HAPPY FAMILYYYYY

User Info: shadowysea07

shadowysea07
9 years ago#9

xillia as means waves so it having the meaning of unwavering convictions isn't a stretch for the game. jude has loyalty to his country and milla to the spirits as she's one of the most high ranking spirits.

User Info: Rpgmonkey

Rpgmonkey
9 years ago#10
The names got (even more) stupid once Graces showed up.

Just try to ignore it.
Anticipating:FFT0 (PSP), FFvXIII (PS3), ToGf (PS3), LoZ:SS (Wii), ToX (PS3), Cathy (360), KH3D (3DS), ME3 (360), FFXIII-2 (360), PM (3DS), DS (360),
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Graces f
  3. Why do Tales titles make no sense?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A