• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. DiRT 3
  3. A bit disappointed...

User Info: Yi_Long

Yi_Long
7 years ago#1
Loved (the rally parts of) Dirt 2. Never picked up 3 because of the DLC.

For 5 bucks in the sale, I did buy it. The game is OK, but it seems like there's even less proper rally-stages, just 3 or 4 environments, and those tracks seem even shorter than in 2, which were already wayyy too short.

It plays and looks nice (although not as nice as Dirt 2) but seriously, as a rally-game, this just falls wayyyy short, in terms of rally-content. Sadly.

Also, why do I have to go in and change the settings of my car before every race? Can't they just save those settings!? Ridiculous.

For 5 bucks, it's entertaining, but its such a shame that there seems to be so much potential with Codemasters to really do an AMAZING rally-game, and yet they come out with something like this, which hardly has any proper rally-content...

Let's hope next-gen some developer does come out with a rally-game that has a large variety of environments (countries), and many LONG tracks.

User Info: C810

C810
7 years ago#2
Not to be a jerk, but it is well known that the DiRT series had abandoned its rally roots. Since the second game dropped Colin McRae from the title and added a bunch of other stuff, it was the writing on the wall for the progression of the series. That being said, Codemasters has come out and said that DiRT 4 will refocus the series on rallying (on my phone, but they posted it on twitter if I recall correctly). Whether or not it will be a hardcore rally game like the Colin McRae games or a more casual one remains to be seen though.

Also, if you live in the UK, the WRC series provides the more authentic rally experience. Well, at least the first two. I think 3 added some other elements that pissed people off, but that's only what I've heard as a word of mouth. WRC 2 is also region free so you can import and play it on an NTSC 360 if you are from North America.
Playing: random games from my collection. Too lazy to keep this current

User Info: scratch_porkins

scratch_porkins
7 years ago#3
Yup, the game wasn't great.
The only real difference between a s***posting troll and a GameFAQs mod is the "(Moderator)" next to the latter's name.

User Info: Yi_Long

Yi_Long
7 years ago#4
I already knew they strayed away quite a bit from proper rally-racing, but DIRT2 still had quite a few nice tracks to race through, and when reviews for DIRT3 came out, it was said it went back a little more towards rally, so I was expecting a bit more rally-content than DiRT 2.

Sadly, not.

I only paid 5 bucks for it in the current sale, so it's not a big loss, but still, what were they thinking?

With Dirt 3 such a disappointment, and the same goes for GRID2, Codemasters has really dropped in quality the last few years, while it seemed such a promising developer not that long ago.

About the WRC-series: I enjoyed the demos of 3 and 4, but not quite enough to warrant a purchase.

Best rally game ever remains Rallisport Challenge 2, which was fantastic.
  1. Boards
  2. DiRT 3
  3. A bit disappointed...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A