• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  3. Item Loss Skip (100% Scans, 99% [100% missile dupe] Items)

User Info: shadowreaper7

shadowreaper7
3 years ago#1
Having recently got back around to sequence breaking the hell out of the Metroid Prime series (though nothing competitive to challenge the speed runners), I thought it was worth noting something regarding the item loss skip.

Under normal progression through item loss skip, you make your way down into the tunnels (Hive Chamber A -> Hive Tunnel) and trigger the infinite speed glitch in order to force load the room above and position you out of bounds.
You can then proceed to Aether Jump onto the door to your immediate right, fire at it to trigger the next room load by carefully jumping to its side and back on top, before then moving into the next room, dropping to the floor, and scanning the elevator control panel to trigger the cutscene to put you back in bounds (and completely bypass the entirety of the underground area, the purple hologram door, and the dark samus cutscene).

However, this method has its detriments, due to permanently locking you out of 1 missile container (in the IL room) and causing problems with keeping your items whilst attempting 100% scans and 99% items.
This is because the Dark Missile Trooper does not spawn in Hive Chamber A (the initial room you drop into) until after you beat the bomb guardian, preventing acquisition of 1 missile expansion, and 1 enemy scan (Dark Missile Trooper).

Therefore, in order to complete this, you will need to beat the missile trooper (after scanning him), collecting the power-up (and picking up any other scans - Worker splinter, and the two Force two troopers).
You then need to perform the infinite speed glitch again, and make you way back onto aforementioned door.
Once upon it, instead of triggering the next room, you will need to move along the roof until you reach the door leading to your gunship room.

You will need to use the morphball shortly before the door in order to drop down to the correct height.
Adjust yourself to trigger the room loading by shooting the door, then jumping to its side and then back to the door, as the room loads, ensure you jump into the roof of the gunship room.
-> It looks like you will be able to drop back in bounds from within this room (similar to anyone who's gotten the power bomb early from Dynamo), this isn't possible however, due to invisible walls stretching all the way around the whole in the ceiling).

Next you need to move yourself to the door on the right (normally you'd need the dark beam to activate the pillar to give you enough jump height). Once above the door, trigger the loading of the next room. Once inside, you aim is to head toward the door, and the morphball tunnel above. To do this use, space jumps and bomb jumps to get enough height to be close enough to the morphball tunnel.

Due to the nature of morphball tunnels, you will trigger the room loading by being close to the tunnel (as the game will think you're in the tunnel), follow this into the long hallway.
Once in the long hallway, with a seeker missile door at the end, you can bomb jump or wall crawl your way toward the seeker missile door.
Do not worry if you fall off, you can Aether jump up to the top of this seeker missile door.

Once atop the door, jumping up to the morphball tunnel will trigger the load of the room with the seeker missile expansions, from there you can jump into the room as it loads to put yourself back in bounds.

You can then also collect the Seeker missile expansion (as you will have retained the boost ball) and proceed with the game as normal, being able to make it look as though you have collected all power-ups and scans.

Haven't assessed how useful this is for speed runners, but it does create some interesting new criteria in different types of run (such as 100% scans).
-> This means you never have to 'Hand in' the Item Loss.
3DS FC: 2578 - 3653 - 3599
You know you could just quote me. Seeing as you spent the time saying exactly the same thing... just later...

User Info: Da Dood

Da Dood
3 years ago#2
It wouldn't work for 100% in speedruns because the definition of 100% (by community consensus as far as I know) means 'collect every unique item', not simply 'have the counter say 100% at the end'. That's why in games like Ocarina of Time you actually collect all Skulltulas in 100% instead of just duping them.
My Super Mario Maker levels ~
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Ren_Dood

User Info: shadowreaper7

shadowreaper7
3 years ago#3
Da Dood posted...
It wouldn't work for 100% in speedruns because the definition of 100% (by community consensus as far as I know) means 'collect every unique item', not simply 'have the counter say 100% at the end'. That's why in games like Ocarina of Time you actually collect all Skulltulas in 100% instead of just duping them.

Hence the 99% items [100% missile dupe]. My intention was on Scanning (something otherwise ignored - for obvious reasons) not the items, where you can skill skip ahead and force load Emerald/Cobalt Holograms (as they otherwise insist on believing you've already met the Luminoth Temple guardian when initially scanning) with still obtaining all scans (something which otherwise is difficult due to Item Skip making you miss the Dark trooper, and the Emerald/Cobalt holograms unless forcibly obtaining the translators (Emerald has been achieved and is in the process of write up, Cobalt still isn't playing ball).

So yes I'm aware it wouldn't count as 100% items, that's why in the Title it was plainly referred to as: 99% with the dupe acknowledged in brackets for 100%.
3DS FC: 2578 - 3653 - 3599
You know you could just quote me. Seeing as you spent the time saying exactly the same thing... just later...
  1. Boards
  2. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  3. Item Loss Skip (100% Scans, 99% [100% missile dupe] Items)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A