You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. New Horizons
  3. Uncharted Waters Origin

User Info: Sun Xiao

Sun Xiao
3 months ago#1
Apparently, Koei will plan to launch UW Origin on probably November 2020 to celebrate 30 years that's when first UW ever released. UW Origin is fusion of New Horizons and UWO ,but they did mention that it will have over 1k NPCs as well as all protagonists will be back. Also, it will have 4k+ discoveries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC9FcQdBD0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHCr27ZzOgs

User Info: chaoyun2k

chaoyun2k
3 months ago#2
Will it be available in North America?! ... in English?
Some are wise, some are otherwise, and I have my moments.

Sun Xiao
3 months ago#3
chaoyun2k posted...
Will it be available in North America?! ... in English?

Ofc, they plan to release it in worldwide.At least, it will have steam since I hate mobile games.

User Info: kerdor

kerdor
3 months ago#4
To say I am excited is insufficient; but there it is.
FC: 2981-6255-1492 DC: 4100-2466-4931
Town: Tython

kerdor
2 months ago#5
Anyone else excited?

User Info: Metastase

Metastase
2 months ago#6
I was extremely excited until I noticed it's going to be another MMO and from the looks of it, aimed at mobile.

I've played UWO for quite a while and it's very boring compared to New Horizons. I'm still excited for this but to be honest, I don't expect it to be very good. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Sun Xiao
2 months ago#7
Metastase posted...
I was extremely excited until I noticed it's going to be another MMO and from the looks of it, aimed at mobile.

I've played UWO for quite a while and it's very boring compared to New Horizons. I'm still excited for this but to be honest, I don't expect it to be very good. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Indeed. I wonder is steam version going to be like mobile game ?. I can understand why you might want to cautious of KOEI games because they haven't produced any good games during last 5 years or so.

kerdor
2 months ago#8
As long as it isn't 90% Pay 2 Win i'm willing to give it a fair shot.

I've played UWO occasionally years ago - 1st English launch; and after it got bought out the first time; but after it being bought out for what the 4th time i've given up on trying to re-play it.

Crafting while tedious can be fun; but the massive amount of grinding needed to do much of anything got old. That and needing to reference a ton of differeing Wikis to figure out most anything; including the storyline.

If it winds up being a MMO-Remake of NH i'd be pleased as punch. If not... well at least I'll give it a shot :)

Metastase posted...

User Info: Metastase

Metastase
2 months ago#9
TBH, being pay to win isn't even a problem if the game is actually fun to play y'know? The problem is that the MMO formula + large scale 3D environments completely throws off the gameplay pacing compared to New Horizons.

And my problem isn't with KOEI itself, although it's true it's been a while since they released something good in the west. My problems with these games comes from deeper, underlying issues mainly related to how 3D scales compared to 2D.

ie:

In New Horizons, it is okay that nothing besides RNG events happen in the sea because going from point A to B is fast enough (in real time) that you're just monitoring Food/Water and a good route through wind currents. These micro-decisions are fun, quick and meaningful.

In full blown large scale 3D however, there is nothing interesting happening for long stretches of time. You can't really optimize your direction through wind currents because there is no way to know if a long circle with favourable winds is any better than a straight line with bad winds. Even if you could extrapolate that, this optimization would be too infrequent and not sufficient to make sea navigation fun like in NH. The developers definitely knew this because they made a point to include buffs with cooldowns and such, but it's all ultimately boring and mindless.

This larger scale has a snowball effect that impacts pretty much everything negatively, including Trading. It takes longer and you do less of it, at which point it becomes an auxiliary mechanic instead of a core feature. Getting info in Taverns and seaching for people/stuff becomes padded with large amounts of...nothingness.

If I was developing a game like this, I'd make sure there are dynamic maritime/wind currents players can actively engage with on a moment-to-moment basis. So maybe you could have heavier ships with strong hulls that can take advantage of current speed bumps/storms whereas lighter ships can go faster naturally but they have to avoid said currents to preserve their fragile hulls, etc...with slower, safe routes for times where you don't want to micro-manage real time action like this.
(edited 2 months ago)

kerdor
2 months ago#10
Interesting idea in the ship heavy vs light hulls and speed
  1. Boards
  2. New Horizons
  3. Uncharted Waters Origin