You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. New Horizons
  3. Make this happen "achievements"

User Info: Trokd

Trokd
8 months ago#1
Plz, Suggest achievements for this hidden gem, you are know better that anyone this game and I read a lot useful and fun informations here :)

http://retroachievements.org/viewtopic.php?t=3384

I'd like re-play again this game, but now with achievements.

User Info: chaoyun2k

chaoyun2k
8 months ago#2
The most obvious thing I would suggest is completing every character's story.

I'm not going to join another site at the moment, but is this something that is being done or is this more something we would like to see?
Some are wise, some are otherwise, and I have my moments.

User Info: Trokd

Trokd
8 months ago#3
chaoyun2k posted...
The most obvious thing I would suggest is completing every character's story.

I'm not going to join another site at the moment, but is this something that is being done or is this more something we would like to see?

It's real! I play a lot of games there with achievements. What you only need is a Retroarch Emulator or a built emulator of the site.

I've seen that a dev started achievements for the game this month coverering discoverys and itens, but not sure if him have great knowledge this game have many secrets. I'd like see achievements for historics routes and another things :)

chaoyun2k
8 months ago#4
Yeah, a Collector achievement makes sense for discoveries. Currently there is a possible 49 discoveries in the game, so maybe an achievement for the first discovery and another for all discoveries.

I guess item achievements would be good. For instance a navigation achievement for purchasing a Sextant or one of the other tools. The other items of note would be the cat and the telescope. I guess buying star rated equipment could be an achievement.

An achievement for the skills you can learn would be something to consider. Those are Gunnery and Celestial Navigation, but some of the characters start with one or more of them.

An achievement for the first battle and maybe the 100th battle. Maybe another achievement for gaining a battle level.

An explorers achievement for discovering a port and another for discovering all ports. While it wouldn't be necessary you include or exclude the supply ports. Maybe an achievement for gaining a sailing level.

Another obvious achievement would be the Ruler's quest achievement ranks.

An achievement for investing in a port.

An achievement for investing in a port that ally's the port with your country. Maybe an achievement for investing in a port that removes it as an ally for another country, but that could get complicated. Obviously and achievement for making an ally out of all ports - 94 possible.

Achievements for surviving a storm or other disasters.

Achievements for gaining fame.

Those are the first that come to mind.

User Info: kerdor

kerdor
8 months ago#5
Achievement for finding specific out of the way supply ports. (Discoverer of (Portname))

Achievement for defeating Khayr ad-Din in a duel without the player having challenged him. (You chose... poorly)

Achievement for defeating a Battle Fleet Commadore with a single hit in a duel. (With a Mighty Blow)

Achievement for sinking an enemy flagship with Cannon. (100 Gun Salute)

Achievement for sailing for >90 days without stopping at a port or going camping. (Are We There Yet?)

Achievement for finding any Non-Class Story Specific treasures. (Finders Givers?)

Achievement for your crew getting Scurvy. (Where's the OJ?)

Achievement for having Rats on your ships (Rats!)

Achievement for sinking 7 ships in a single battle using only your flagship. (7 In One Blow)

Achievement for reaching Battle Level 80+ (So Many Dings)

Achievement for Mooring a ship. (Always Room For Moors)

Achievement for attacking a fleet of your own country (Curse Your Sudden but Inevitable Betrayal)

Achievement for force-starting a battle at night via talking to a pirate commadore at sea. (Noctowl Fight)

Achievement for having crew die from starvation/dehydration (But Narry a Drop to Drink)

Achievement for finding fresh water ashore (Thirst Quenching)

Achievement for scenario breaking via attacking required NPC fleets. (Et tu Brute)

Achievement for getting a kiss from a waitress. (mmmm Smack..)

Achievement as Ali for amassing 5000 Ingots (I could buy the Bank)

Achievement for studying at the Round Earth Society (Stay in School)

Achievement for reaching 100 luck (Lucky Lucky)

Achievement for Maxing each Fame type (Grand Trader, Grand Explorer, Grand Battler; Grand Master of the Seas)

Achievement for sailing around the world with only Dhow(s) in the fleet (In a Dinghy?)

Achievement for getting captured in an enemy port (Curses!)

Achievement for getting burned by the Phoenix (Why is Moltres here anyway!)
FC: 2981-6255-1492 DC: 4100-2466-4931
Town: Tython

User Info: Metastase

Metastase
8 months ago#6
Personally the most fun I've ever had with this game is doing a Solo Ship (No Oars)/No Duel or Ship Melee on purpose (only cannons)/No broken trade (via Gold or market abuse) and recruiting only generic NPCs, defecting to Italy for world domination.

It's basically a survival against the Ottoman Empire at 1st, you really need to prioritize what you're going to do because you can't have it all. Trying to defend all of your cities is almost impossible, sometimes securing another port with a better trade payoff is the smart move to do even if you lose some of your own.

England can be your savior or your worst nightmare depending on the situation and balancing your loadout for combat and trading is a constant struggle that requires clever planning (your Durability will go down permanently quite fast no matter how good your combat maneuvers are).

But I think the best part of this challenge is just how strategic combat becomes. You REALLY need to know your stuff and act like a predator if you want to take out certain fleets. Sometimes it can take 2 combat encounters to do so and that means you need to attack them early in the morning. Approaching enemies at bottlenecks can also be the difference between winning or losing. And if you calculate the amount of lumber you need to repair your ship wrong, your prey will get away and steal your port or you may realize it's not possible to win a necessary successive combat encounter since you were unprepared.

I highly recommend this challenge for hardcore vets that know their way into this game. You will discover some gameplay nuances that will surprise you.

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
8 months ago#7
IIRC shenanigans let one of the main characters get another one on their fleet, so that should be achievement-worthy.

EDIT: It makes sense to get achievements for storyline progress (e.g. unlocking Japan if it's not available at the start).

Three others would be circumnavigating the globe, traveling the northwest passage, and the north Russia passage ("Whyyyyyyyy!?")
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
Ceterum autem censeo Gamefaqs separandam esse.
(edited 8 months ago)

chaoyun2k
8 months ago#8
kerdor posted...
Achievement for force-starting a battle at night via talking to a pirate commadore at sea. (Noctowl Fight)

You can't fight at night anyway, on the SNES at least. Time passes very quickly so I could see talking to a pirate at night and then changing the menu when it switches to day. Still this seems like an unnecessary achievement and possibly one that would require the game to be re-coded.

kerdor posted...
Achievement for finding any Non-Class Story Specific treasures. (Finders Givers?)

Are you talking about the Ruler's quest searches?

kerdor posted...
Achievement for defeating Khayr ad-Din in a duel without the player having challenged him. (You chose... poorly)

Do you mean reduce his men to the point where he challenges you? Also is this defeating him to the point that the game replaces him?

Defeating Idin and Khayr would make a decent achievement.

Another achievement that is less known is to be given money by Idin or Khayr. This has to happen early in the game and it has to meet certain conditions, but basically you have to be poor when they catch you.

kerdor posted...
Grand Master of the Seas

I'm guessing this is for maxing all three fames?

User Info: kerdor

kerdor
8 months ago#9
chaoyun2k posted...

You can't fight at night anyway, on the SNES at least. Time passes very quickly so I could see talking to a pirate at night and then changing the menu when it switches to day. Still this seems like an unnecessary achievement and possibly one that would require the game to be re-coded.

Talk to a pirate at night; and assuming they're not scared of you; it'll start a battle with them as the aggressor. Think it might have them saying something on the order of oh look its our target. Might be UW1; been a long time since i've done it.

Are you talking about the Ruler's quest searches?

Yes. Been forever since I did one of them since Trade or Battle fame tend to be higher than Adventure. Things like the Dark Crystal or Obsidian Lithograph etc.

Do you mean reduce his men to the point where he challenges you? Also is this defeating him to the point that the game replaces him?

First one regardless of crew levels.

Defeating Idin and Khayr would make a decent achievement.

Another achievement that is less known is to be given money by Idin or Khayr. This has to happen early in the game and it has to meet certain conditions, but basically you have to be poor when they catch you.

Great idea!

Yes; Grand Master of the Seas for maxing all 3.
FC: 2981-6255-1492 DC: 4100-2466-4931
Town: Tython

User Info: vincentw

vincentw
8 months ago#10
Achievement

Make Idin Leis and Khayr ad-Din
as your navigator

or Pilly Reis

I think this is quite an achievement
No blitz please...
  1. Boards