You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. New Horizons
  3. A few detailed game stats, mechanics, and information (map included)

User Info: FatRatKnight

FatRatKnight
4 years ago#1
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/588823-new-horizons/59545276
Condensing a chunk of information in the linked topic. I'm also increasing the visibility of a map I've made.

chaoyun2k, thanks for a quick look over that massive topic.

Pick a post for an explanation of related stuff.
#1 - World Map
#2 - Dueling
#3 - Dueling Equipment
#4 - Recruiting Navigators & Loyalty
#5 - Hiring Crew
#6 - Luck & Round Earth Society
#7 - Rations & Finding Water
#8 - Fleet Speed

World Map
http://www.unchartedwatersnewhorizons.com/files/uwnhmap.png
16 colors. 2160x1080 pixels. 85.1 KB

In case it is necessary, here's some explanations:

The grid lines are not for show -- They actually have to deal with certain internal game stuff. In particular, weather. Each square has its own wind and current, and the wind itself is also affected by whether you're in the winter or summer months. I do not have a listing of winds, and as such, they aren't marked on the map.

The black stuff are areas you will never be able to explore. There are no paths into that land you can sail into that will reach that black stuff. The in-game world map will be filled in completely if you get enough of the "filled in" areas and visit a cartographer.

The big dots are ports, supply ports, and villages. I've marked ports depending on what Market Type they use, and the villages depending on rank. The size of the dots means some local terrain doesn't show up on my map, but that's the price of making them more visible and adding a touch of information.

Keep in mind:
If you can't find a certain port, it's because your character's story doesn't allow it.
Missing villages? A random 50 out of 98 villages exist when you start a new game.

Each pixel on the map image is one tile in the game. Four tiles makes up a port or fleet, or one of those mountains graphic you see. Making the map smaller means I lose a lot of terrain data. Making the map larger is just plain unwieldy at that point, considering how large it already is. If you need to, I recommend downloading it and using a program (Paint will do) to zoom in where desired.
Please be specific when titling topics. I want to know what it's about before I click it!
If there's spoilers involved, feel free to remain ambiguous!
(edited 4 years ago)

FatRatKnight
4 years ago#2
Dueling
Pick an attack card. Watch the fight. Pick a defense card. It's a game of rock-paper-scissors, but with stats!

What?|Thrust| Lash |Strike| Attack effectiveness table
-----+------+------+------+
Parry| Zero |.Half.|+Full+|
Block|+Full+| Zero |.Half.|
Dodge|.Half.|+Full+| Zero |

PC version (?): You always have three numberless "cards," one for each type of attack or defense. Pick one -- Hope you chose well.

Console versions: Both the player and computer are dealt six "cards," using the three types of attacks/defenses. Numbers are random from 1 to 9, with 1 being half as effective as 9. Pick a "card", it will be used for the turn, and replaced by a new one at random. The same "hand" is used for both attack and defense, with the types converted to their zero-effectiveness counterpart.

SNES version: The player is always guaranteed to have at least one of each of the three types of attacks -- If they use up the last one of that type, it will be replaced by one of the same type. The computer has no such guarantee (not that you'd know).

Genesis version (?): Cards are given entirely at random. It is possible to run out of any type, limiting your attack/defense options.

Swordsmanship and Battle Level affect how much damage you deal or how little you take.
Equipment affects how much of your Swordsmanship and Battle Level is used.

Again, the numbers on the "cards" adjust the number. From 50% effectiveness at 1 to 100% effectiveness at 9, in steps of 6.25%.

With full- or half-effectiveness attacks, there is a flat random bonus added based on Battle Level regardless of equipment. Zero-effectiveness attacks simply do zero damage, regardless of all stats.

A rather complicated formula, in case you need it:

DuelPower= [[ [[ 0.25*Swordsmanship + 0.75*BattleLevel ]] * EquipPercent/100 ]]

RNGPower= [[ DuelPower * 0.8 ]] + Random(0 , [[ DuelPower * 0.2 ]] - 1)

Atk= RNGPower+1 (Attacker)
Def= RNGPower+1.5 (Defender vs. half-effective) or RNGPower+2.0 (Defender vs. full-effective)

BaseDamage= [[ 100 * Atk / (Atk * Def) ]] ; Full effectiveness attack
BaseDamage= [[ _50 * Atk / (Atk * Def) ]] ; Half effectiveness attack

CardDamage= BaseDamage * (7+AtkCard)/(7+DefCard)

FinalDamage= CardDamage + Random(0, AttackerBattleLevel-1)

EquipPercent is based on the weapon & attack type, or armor. It is as low as 20 (unarmed) or 30 (unarmored), and as high as 100 (top-end stuff). The numbers are listed in a later post. Essentially, you only use a small percent of your stats without equipment, but get to use most of your stats with high-end equipment.

Defender stops getting a benefit after 20 Battle Levels, but attacker has no upper limit.

RNGPower is wonky:
* 80% to (100% minus 1) of DuelPower - - If divisible by 5
* 80% to (100% minus 2) of DuelPower - - Otherwise

The maximum is one or two less than 100% of your DuelPower depending on whether it's divisible by 5. With all the rounding, this means numbers (from DuelPower) that are exactly divisible by 5 and those that are just one greater are identical in power. In the odd case with DuelPower less than 5 (are you dueling without equipment?), the calculated maximum is less than the minimum. In that case, just ignore the Random function and use only 80% (rounded down) of the DuelPower.
Please be specific when titling topics. I want to know what it's about before I click it!

FatRatKnight
4 years ago#3
Dueling Equipment
A portion of your Swordsmanship and Battle Level is used, depending on your equipment -- 60% means that your 20 Battle Levels and 100 Swordsmanship looks more like 12 Battle Levels and 60 Swordsmanship. The type of sword may change the effectiveness of the attacking type, but armor will always work at its full potential versus any attack.

Thrust: Lash. : Strike - Straight Swords
_20% : _20% : _20% - (00) Weaponless
_25% : _25% : _25% - (05) Dagger
_30% : _30% : _30% - (10) Short Sword
_40% : _40% : _40% - (20) Long Sword
_45% : _45% : _45% - (25) Basterd Sword
_60% : _60% : _60% - (40) Rune Blade

Thrust: Lash. : Strike - Rapier
_40% : _30% : _25% - (10) Epee
_50% : _35% : _27% - (15) Rapier
_60% : _40% : _30% - (20) Estock
_70% : _45% : _32% - (25) Flamberge
100% : _60% : _40% - (40) Crusader's Sword

Thrust: Lash. : Strike - Curved Sword
_25% : _40% : _30% - (10) Short Saber
_27% : _50% : _35% - (15) Saber
_30% : _60% : _40% - (20) Scimitar
_32% : _70% : _45% - (25) Japanese Sword
_35% : _80% : _50% - (30) Siva's Magic Sword
_40% : 100% : _60% - (40) Magic Muramasa

Thrust: Lash. : Strike - Heavy Sword
_30% : _25% : _40% - (10) Cutlass
_40% : _30% : _60% - (20) Broad Sword
_45% : _32% : _70% - (25) Claymore
_45% : _32% : _70% - (25) Golden Dragon
_50% : _35% : _80% - (30) Blue Crescent

_Any - Protection
_30% - (00) No armor!
_40% - (10) Leather Armor
_50% - (20) Chain Mail Armor
_60% - (30) Half Plate
_70% - (40) Plate Mail Armor
_85% - (55) Errol's Plate
100% - (70) Crusader's Armor

Equipment used by the enemy depends on their levels. Specifically:

Armor is based on Navigation Level:
_0 ~ _7 - Chain Mail armor (50%)
_8 ~ 15 - Half Plate (60%)
16 & up - Plate Mail Armor (70%)

And weapons are based on Battle Level:
_0 ~ _7 - Saber (Curved Sword, base 35%)
_8 ~ 15 - Scimitar (Curved Sword, base 40%)
16 ~ 23 - Basterd Sword (Straight Sword, 45%)
24 & up - Flamberge (45% Rapier), Claymore (45% Heavy), or Blue Crescent (50% Heavy)

At upper Battle Levels, the duelist will select one of three weapons based on his Navigation Level. Use NavLv modulo 3 to get it. Flamberge if it's an exact multiple of 3, Claymore if dividing by 3 gets a remainder of 1, and Blue Crescent if you get a remainder of 2.

A cursory glance at AI choices indicate roughly equal tendency to pick any "card" with Straight Sword, and more likely to pick the favored attack with the more specialized weapons, until the "card" randomization kicks in and they run out of the favored "card."

Then again, the AI-related stuff needs further investigation. I can't, in good faith, give this information without a warning of likely inaccuracies. If I continue my analysis, I will confirm this stuff to make sure.

FatRatKnight
4 years ago#4
Recruiting Navigators
In particular, the guys you talk to at the cafe or inn to act as captains, not the rowdy crew you hire by the dozens.

The difficulty to recruit someone depends on their total levels and their highest stat. Your recruiting power depends on your own total levels and the same stat as the target's highest stat. You also get a bonus from your royal rank, but due to a glitch, this bonus can potentially backfire for being "too high" -- A Duke with levels total 37 may trigger the glitch.

The difficulty to recruit someone is as follows:
HighStat * (Nav. Level + Bat. Level) + Random( 0 .. 19 )

HighStat is the matey's highest stat.
In a tie, the priority from highest to least is: Leadership, Seamanship, Knowledge, Intuition, Courage, Swordsmanship, then Charm.

Your recruiting power:
BaseRecruit= TargetStat * (Nav. Level + Bat. Level)
RankBonus= [[ (BaseRecruit * Rank) / 10 ]]
Recruit Power= BaseRecruit + RankBonus

Rank Bonus is supposed to improve your persuasiveness by 10% per rank. Unfortunately, a glitch limits it to the range -3276 to +3276. Yes, the bonus can be negative thanks to the glitch. Before the division step, if (BaseRecruit * Rank) is greater than +32767, subtract 65536. If it's still more than +32767, keep subtracting 65536 until it's below +32767.

If they are a vagabond sailor (do not have a fleet assigned to them), and your recruiting power is above the difficulty, they will accept your offer and ask for a wage in return. The random factor (0 ~ 19) is very small, and will rarely impact whether the sailor would join, but it is randomized every time you make the offer.

The wages they will ask for depends on their levels and high stat:
10 * ( [[ ( (Nav+Bat) * HighStat ) / 400 ]] + Random( 1 .. 3 ) )

The initial wages will never exceed 200, but this only affects Pilly Reis. There's a 1-in-3 chance of being asked the low wage. It is randomized every time you make the offer.

Loyalty
Upon joining, navigators get +10 Loyalty.

Treating at a cafe before having them join will add more loyalty, depending on unknown factors, but you can always get them to 100 this way.

There's no way to "condition" their Loyalty before they join if they reside at an inn. You'll just have to deal with 10 they join with.

At 0~29 Loyalty, a navigator (no assigned ship) has 1-in-3 chance every time you visit the Harbor (not of a Supply Port, though) to threaten to leave you if you don't increase their wage. Accepting sets their Loyalty to exactly 30, and increases their monthly wage. Refusing has them reside in the port you're currently in, although they keep the same Loyalty despite leaving you. Nothing is stopping you from tracking them down in the cafe or inn and asking them to join again.

Every month, you pay their wages. It's at this time their Loyalty changes:
+(Your Leadership) - (Their High Stat) + (Their Wages)/5

If their Loyalty goes below zero, the game screws up and sets their Loyalty to 100. If their Loyalty is 100, it will not change.

Increasing wages will also add Loyalty on the spot. Every 5 wages will add +1 Loyalty. However, the game stores wages at every 10, so "increasing" their wages by only 5 will not increase how much you're paying them, but will still improve Loyalty regardless. At 80+ Loyalty, they will refuse any changes to wage, stopping your silly efforts at that point.

I don't know other particulars of Loyalty. It probably makes your allies less likely to ignore you and more likely to stay and fight if you get into any battles.

FatRatKnight
4 years ago#5
Hiring Crew
This is already explained in my Market/Shipyard FAQ (section 5.3). This is a rewrite.

The Cafe is the place where you can add crew to your fleet. Your Charm is used to determine a percentage of some maximum amount without treats, as well as how effective treats are for raising this percentage. The actual maximum is determined by the Economy of the port, and this maximum is capped if you do not have a royal rank. You must also pay more per man in a higher Economy port. You can only hire crew once per day; This is reset at midnight.

Initial Percent = [[ Charm / 3 ]]
Bonus Percent = [[ [[ 200 * Treats / Economy ]] * Charm / 10 ]]

You may use multiple treat commands, and they will stack. Up to a maximum of 100%, of course.

Maximum crew = [[ Economy / 5 ]]
Cost per man = [[ Economy / 20 ]] + 5

1000 Economy will allow you to hire as much as 200 men at once, though you have to spend 55 gold per man for a total of 11000 gold. If you lack a royal rank, the maximum will never exceed 100, achievable at 500 Economy. Higher Economy without a rank will only serve to increase the cost of crew and reduce effectiveness of treating without allowing you to hire any more.

As higher Economy also makes it harder to increase the percentage, you need to treat more to get the same increased percent. Be aware of rounding errors at Economy over 200, as it's possible for just one treat to do absolutely nothing.

In any case, a listing of character Charm, the initial percentage of crew willing to join, and what percent bonus you get for one treat at 200 Economy:

95 Charm - 31% - +9.5% Catalina Erantzo
90 Charm - 30% - +9.0% Ernst Von Bohr
89 Charm - 29% - +8.9% Joao Franco
82 Charm - 27% - +8.2% Otto Baynes
81 Charm - 27% - +8.1% Pietro Conti
80 Charm - 26% - +8.0% Ali Vezas
50 Charm - 16% - +5.0% Lowest possible Charm, you crazy village plunderer

As usual for rounding errors, if you give 12 treats as Catalina in a port with 607 Economy...
[[ [[ 200 * Treats / Economy ]] * Charm / 10 ]]
[[ [[ 200 * 12 / 607 ]] * 95 / 10 ]]
[[ [[ 3.95~ ]] * 9.5 ]]
[[ 3 * 9.5 ]]
[[ 28.5 ]]

... You get 28% more crew. If rounding errors didn't happen, you'd have added 37%.

FatRatKnight
4 years ago#6
Luck & Round Earth Society
When you begin the game, the only stat on your character that is randomized is Luck, a range from 40 to 100. It is known to raise exclusively through Round Earth Society (including character-specific events) and is also known to drop when seeing a ghost ship (-30) and plundering a village (-2). If there are other ways to change Luck, they are unknown. Only the main character's Luck ever changes.

Studying has a 50% chance to raise Luck by 1 point, up to a maximum of 100. After the first attempt, further attempts at Study will do nothing until you clear out of the dialogue completely. Talking to the guy again without leaving the building will work, and therefore it is possible to max out Luck in one visit, passing only 30, 60, or 90 minutes for the one visit. It just takes a lot of patience.

Donate also raise luck. It does so in two facets:
* Fraction of on-hand gold donated determines amount of Luck
* Absolute amount donated determines chance of getting that amount (500+ gold is 100%)

Fraction gift>Luck : Chance to gain luck
1/11( 9.09%) > + 1 : __0~_99 - _0%
1/10(10.00%) > + 2 : 100~199 - 32%
1/ 9(11.11%) > + 3 : 200~299 - 64%
1/ 8(12.50%) > + 4 : 300~399 - 96%
1/ 7(14.29%) > + 5 : 400~499 - 98%
1/ 6(16.67%) > + 6 : 500 & up-100%
1/ 5(20.00%) > + 7
1/ 4(25.00%) > + 8
1/ 3(33.33%) > + 9
1/ 2(50.00%) > +10

The fractions are based on how much gold you have on hand. The value of ships, their cargo, your items, and gold stored in the bank are ignored. The chance to gain Luck is based on how many hundreds of gold you actually donate, but giving 500+ will always gain you Luck, as long as this amount is also 1/11 of your gold on hand or more.

If you have particularly small amounts of gold, you may want to donate at least 300 gold so that you have a high chance (96%) to get Luck. For particularly large amounts of gold, donating 1/6 at a time is most efficient. If you take the time to bank some, you can walk in with 3000 gold and donate 500 at a time for 100% chance to raise Luck by 50, and two trips (6000 gold) will certainly get you to 100 Luck, even if you lost a bunch and are at zero now.

FatRatKnight
4 years ago#7
Rations
Your crew needs food and water to survive for long.

While you deal with entire barrels for most sorts of cargo, the game stores your food and water in tenth barrels. The game will never reveal these tenths directly. When transferring food and water between ships, any tenths are thrown away, leaving only whole barrels. When loading food and water at the dock, the tenths are preserved.

The usage formula: (Crew * Food%)/100 + 1
This is how many tenth barrels you're using up. Round any fractional portions down -- While 5 men on that Light Galley would eat 0.6 barrels on 100% food in one day, 99% would make that 0.5, and not 0.595 barrels. Notably, 0% rations would still use up 0.1 barrels per day regardless, thanks to that +1 there.

Change in Condition: -1 for every 5% below 100% ; +1 for every 10% above 100%
Captain's Leadership acts like +1% per 5 points.

You can't actually set more than 100% rations, Leadership stat is required to add Condition. Note that the game is looking for the full 5% or 10% difference -- If after Leadership, the effective Rations is 96%, you're not losing Condition, as it's only 4% short of a hundred.

The game makes separate calculations with the identical formula for both food and water. It is possible to make up for a deficiency in food by keeping water usage high.

You are prevented from leaving port if you do not have at least 0.2 Food and 0.2 Water per crew member in your fleet, regardless of food% or water% you set.

Glitches:

If you leave some ships without food or water, they will get the supplies needed from other ships. The glitch here is that the supplying ship's Condition is affected (using Leadership of supply ship's captain), while the ship in need does not change Condition. In effect, ships without supplies have their Condition frozen (aside from events or scurvy), and ships with supplies change Condition more rapidly.

If you have 6553.6 barrels or more of either food or water, the game wraps around its calculations and thinks you're very low on supplies, potentially preventing you from leaving. Note, the game does not tell you how many of these hidden tenths you have, so you could be hitting the wraparound with 6550 visible barrels. It is possible to pack enough that, even with this wraparound, you can still leave -- Just subtract 6553.6 from what you have, and see if it's enough to be allowed out.

Finding water
When you land your ship at an open piece of land, you may search for water.
* Open Land depends on your hidden Luck stat, regardless of climate of region

* Deserts will never give water
* Can't land at forests and mountains (or open water, you silly one)
* Ports would just put you in the town, where you can get water for free anyway
* Villages give a different result for Search

The hidden Luck stat is used. It is a 1-for-1% deal, where 0 Luck gives 0% chance, 100 Luck gives 100% chance, 57 Luck gives 57% chance, and so forth.

The moment the game "rolls the dice" is when you land the ship -- Multiple searches while landed is useless. When you leave and land anywhere, even on the same spot as before, the game "rolls the dice" again, and can change results.

After finding water, you may load up as much water as you like.

FatRatKnight
4 years ago#8
Fleet Speed
Base Speed
= [[ [[ [[ [[ Power * ShipWindFactor * Wind / 150 ]] * NavCrew / MinCrew ]] * (150 - CargoPenalty) / 100 ]] * (10 + NavLevel) / 10 ]]

Base Speed is capped at 30.

Final Speed = [[ [[ [[ [[ Base Speed * 4/3 ]] * Seamanship / 100 ]] * Tacking / 100 ]] * 3/2 ]]

Displayed Speed = Final Speed/3

Your fleet is only as fast as your slowest ship. The game runs this calculation with every ship in the fleet, and picks the worst result. Every step in the calculation is to be rounded down.

[[ Power * ShipWindFactor * Wind / 150 ]]
Power is the stat on the ship. ShipWindFactor is a hidden number (4 to 10), based on what the ship is and relative facing of wind. Wind is the number seen relating to the wind. The ShipWindFactor numbers are in my Market/Shipyard FAQ, go find my ship list table in there. Round down after the division.

[[ [[ ... ]] * NavCrew / MinCrew ]]
NavCrew is amount of crew set on navigation. MinCrew is minimum needed to sail without problems. There is zero benefit of having more NavCrew than MinCrew -- that is, any ratio greater than 1.0 is set to 1.0 -- and don't forget to round down after the division step.

[[ [[ ... ]] * (150 - CargoPenalty) / 100 ]]
CargoPenalty needs some explanation: At 30% or lighter loads, it is zero, and it adds one for every percent past 30% -- 100% load means the CargoPenalty is 70. However, a beneficial glitch takes place: If the ship is large enough to carry at least 328, a wraparound happens and acts like the ship is carrying virtually nothing.

[[ [[ ... ]] * (10 + NavLevel) / 10 ]]
NavLevel is the Navigation Level of the captain. Each level is effectively worth 10% more speed.

At this point, the game caps your base speed to 30. This means that you can't make up for poor Seamanship and Tacking by boosting the above stats. Once you hit that 30, there's nothing more you can do, other than take a close look at Seamanship of the captain and Tacking of the ship.

[[ [[ [[ [[ Base Speed * 4/3 ]] * Seamanship / 100 ]] * Tacking / 100 ]] * 3/2 ]]
Seamanship is the stat on the captain. Tacking is the stat on the ship if you're sailing in a headwind or side headwind; It is ignored and treated as 100 if you're sailing in a crosswind, side tailwind, or tailwind.

While the maximum speed in this calculation reaches 60, the game displays at most 20. Don't forget to take one-third of this calculation if you want the displayed speed. For reference, speed 60 means you travel one tile every half-hour, a rather fast and convenient speed, and again, is the fastest you'll go.

User Info: cute_fan

cute_fan
4 years ago#9
Thank you FatRatKnight for collating all of this useful information into one convenient place ^.^

This feels like it would be a good sticky topic; should we request it?
cuteness ^.^

FatRatKnight
4 years ago#10
Well, around the time you asked, I decided to try a sticky request.

Considering it hasn't been stickied at this time, I'm led to believe the information within this topic isn't generally useful to the typical player (it details in mechanics, not about playing the game) or helpful in directing users to where they can get good information (like telling where the trading board is for a Pokemon game). I didn't think the request would be fulfilled, but since it was clearly not a throwaway topic, I figure there wouldn't be too much harm in trying after someone else thought to ask. (And apologies for taking site staff time or whoever handling the request)

In any case, the occasional bump wouldn't ruin the lump of posts all neatly lined up at the beginning of the topic. At least this way, when the other topics get maxed out at 500 posts, we still have one active topic with a large portion of the data.
(edited 4 years ago)
  1. Boards
  2. New Horizons
  3. A few detailed game stats, mechanics, and information (map included)