You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. New Horizons
  3. Character stats, what do they do?

User Info: kerdor

kerdor
2 months ago#421
And more luck
FC: 2981-6255-1492 DC: 4100-2466-4931
Town: Tython

kerdor
2 months ago#422
Gunnery thing

kerdor
2 months ago#423
sail or something

kerdor
1 month ago#424
find water

kerdor
1 month ago#425
food needed

User Info: Sesattimur

Sesattimur
4 weeks ago#426
Hi,

I came across this old game and played again recently.

Could anyone remember on why does a sailor/mate refused to be recruited and said "Sorry, but I prefer to work alone"? He's definitely available because he said "I'm a vagabond sailor".

Thanks in advance!

User Info: chaoyun2k

chaoyun2k
4 weeks ago#427
I think this has to do with the recruit formula mentioned in the Studying.... topic. Before I mess it up again let's see if @FatRatKnight will help you.

I'm also guessing that this doesn't have to do with having too many mates already.

Maybe if you post your rank and your levels (navigation level and battle level) and the stats of your main character it would help. That will help if it has to do with the glitch encountered when your recruit bonus is exceeds 32767 (from post 226 in the Studying... topic).
Some are wise, some are otherwise, and I have my moments.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: FatRatKnight

FatRatKnight
4 weeks ago#428
I got a PM. Then I noticed this Mention. Well.

I already answered through PM, and this was my response:

[Seriously advanced programmer answer] If you like modding games and are willing to work with code that was likely generated by some kind of inefficient C compiler, then just set a breakpoint on a debugger on when the game reads your rank at the moment you try and recruit someone and analyze code from there. That's clearly the best way to fix the glitch!

[Not-so-crazy answer] Since the glitch is based on having a high royal rank and high levels (Nav + Battle), just don't have both at once. Either that, or get most of your recruiting done before that happens, since it's kind of impossible to back out of high levels and really inconvenient to back out of high royal ranks.

Just some quick calculations on what combination of total levels and ranks trigger this (at 100 stats):
Lv37 - Duke
Lv41 - Marquis
Lv47 - Earl
Lv55 - Viscount
Lv66 - Baron
Lv82 - Baronet
L110 - Knight
L164 - Squire
L328 - Page
Nope - Rankless

As long as your (Navigation Level + Battle Level) of your main character is below these amounts for each rank, you are not glitched. Once they are equal or higher, you'll probably be hit by a pretty harsh penalty, as the rank bonus calculation wrapped around to negative numbers.

If your levels are getting pretty close, or you're about to rank up which takes you over the threshold, stop putting off any recruiting plans and do them. Otherwise, you've got a while to wait on getting even more levels to shrink the penalty enough.

The Lv37 Duke failing to recruit Georg Scholl is the most extreme case of the glitch. Such a Duke is going to have a lot of trouble recruiting anyone except the lowest levels of navigators. When the Duke reaches Levels total 73, the rank adjustment finally gets back into positive numbers, about as good as rankless then, although without the glitch, you would be enjoying a really nice bonus.

- -

One thing to add is that it will take leveling up to double the target level for the glitch just to get the rank adjustment to look like a rankless character. If you're looking for the fastest fix, ditch your ruler and get rid of your royal ranks. Otherwise, just go patiently for leveling up and all that.

Pilly Reis is the guy whose levels are way, way high and is therefore extremely difficult to recruit. Hopefully that's not the guy you're looking at.
Please be specific when titling topics. I want to know what it's about before I click it!
If there's spoilers involved, feel free to remain ambiguous!

kerdor
3 weeks ago#429
haven't seen this myself; though admittedly after the first year or 2 ingame I don't recruit; so it's not surprising

User Info: chaoyun2k

chaoyun2k
3 weeks ago#430
It turns out it was this:

chaoyun2k posted...
I'm also guessing that this doesn't have to do with having too many mates already.
Some are wise, some are otherwise, and I have my moments.
  1. Boards
  2. New Horizons
  3. Character stats, what do they do?