You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. New Horizons
  3. Character stats, what do they do?

User Info: Dark_Gaia

Dark_Gaia
9 years ago#1
I know some stats are self explanatory, but I've done some testing and found some very odd results.

Leadership - What does it do?
Seamanship/Navigation - What? They sound like the govern exact same thing!
Courage - Again, what does it do? I can guess it'll probably control the mates during battle, but I'm not sure how it affects the character you use.
Knowledge - Other than needing it to learn cartography, what does it do?
Intuition - Same as knowledge, what else does it do? I notice you'll always be successful if you search for water on land unless it's the desert if you have 100 intuition.

Now here's something strange I discovered while playing as Otto and Catalina. When I played as Otto I had 100 luck. After gaining very little intuition, I got pissed off and used cheats to give him 100 intuition as well. Otto could now raid villages and lose no crew even if they fight back. I could do the same when if I discover a monster in my search.

I thought it was fun so I did the same with my new Catalina save file. I raid villages, but I still lose crew. Weird, huh? I left the cheat codes on too. I know they're on because I check the fortune and looked at her stats.

Dark_Gaia
9 years ago#2
Oh yeah, while I'm at it, how do I increase my charm? My charm's decreasing, and I'm guessing it's because I'm attacking everyone and their mom, but I thought it would be nice to have a character with perfect stats without cheating.

User Info: MrKamikazejl

MrKamikazejl
9 years ago#3
You stated "Otto could now raid villages and lose no crew even if they fight back. I could do the same when if I discover a monster in my search." I'm assuming that you refer to raiding villages that you discover...that is plundering villages. That would explain why your charm stat is going down. And you can't raise your charm stat. Plundering villages isn't a good idea.
It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

User Info: chaoyun2k

chaoyun2k
9 years ago#4
I found where I had posted something before, maybe this will help.

You have two types of stats, the sailing stats and the battle stats. The battle stats can only be increased by fighting battles. The three stats on the right (snes) are the courage, swordsmanship, and charm. Charm cannot be increased, but it can decrease by pillaging villages that you find in the game. The charm stat basically indicates how many times you have to entertain villagers to make a discovery. It also indicates how much you pay for a ship. In the snes game you can buy ships at a percentage of the quoted price based on the charm stat. At 95 charm (Catalina) you can buy a ship at 81% of the quoted price, at 80 charm (Ali) you can buy a ship at 84% of the quoted price.

Courage and swordsmanship are the main battle stats and only increase when your battle level increases after a battle. Swordsmanship is the main stat and indicates the strength of the character in battle. Courage doesn't seem to mean much really.

The sailing stats, the four stats on the left (snes) can increase from sailing or when your battle level increases from battle. The first stat is leadership and is very important for the main character. Leadership affects how fast you sail if you are using less than the minimum crew for navigation. It will also affect how many crew you loose and how much damage your ship takes if you are caught in a storm.
Seamanship is the main factor in sailing speed but can also affect how many crew you loose and how much damage your ship takes if you are caught in a storm. When this stat reaches 100 your speed will show as 13 and your ship will sail at 20 knots with the wind.
Knowledge is important for bookkeepers, first mates, and chief navigators. You also need knowledge if you are going to obtain cartography or celestial navigation. If your first mate and chief navigator have high knowledge they may warn you of storms in time for you to get to land and go ashore.
Intuition is also important for bookkeepers, first mates, and chief navigators for the same reasons. If a bookkeeper has low intuition he may give you a bad price or at least not the best price. I also think that if your first mate or chief navigator has a high intuition you will be warned about storms most of the time.

The sailing and battle levels will determine which of the vagabond sailors you will be able to recruit. The battle level also affects the amount of damage you can inflict and how much damage you will take. Still the main influence will be the swordsmanship stat. Your fame also influences the vagabonds that you will be able to recruit.
Some are wise, some are otherwise, and I have my moments.

Dark_Gaia
9 years ago#5
I know charm affects ship prices, but I didn't know plundering caused my charm to fall, and not because I was attacking everyone.

MrKamikazejl
9 years ago#6
Good stuff from chaoyun2k. Just a few tidbits. He states " Courage doesn't seem to mean much really." Maybe, but it means a hell of a lot if you want to obtain the gunnery skill. You need courage of 80 to obtain gunnery. Also stated about seamanship "When this stat reaches 100 your speed will show as 13 and your ship will sail at 20 knots with the wind." You reach this at 98 and the speed is 21 knots. Not trying to nit-pick here but I have found the max you gain on a level-up is 4 pts so if I have a mate at say 95 and he gains to 97 I will reset and try to hit at least 98 so I get that gain to 13 over 12 in speed. "If a bookkeeper has low intuition he may give you a bad price or at least not the best price. " This one I can't discount or confirm but I have never seen any difference in any bookkeeper. Eastpolar's walk through mentions in one section about trying to hire good bookkeepers. He states "I would discourage
hiring Jacob Walweik, as he is a slow learner and will not be able to sail a
boat worth a damn for thirty years. " Uh, why would you ever want your bookkeeper to ever sail a boat? His bookkeeping skills are useless if he is a mate...lol! As for the other stats I have found that Navigation level and knowledge have a big effect when it comes to sailing a ship that is loaded with cargo. You can have a sailor with 100 seamanship and low nav skills sail a ship with no cargo at top speed, but load that ship and a sailor with lower seamanship and higher nav skills will sail it at higher speeds. And knowledge seems to factor into it also. The exact mathematical formula I don't know since there are too many factors but they are all tied together and the type of ship also is a big factor. In my experience, Brigantines and Buss' are very difficult ships to sail at top speed using minimal crew. Of course, once all your mates reach a certain level it doesn't matter anymore. But it makes the early part of the game interesting trying to balance out which mates you put on which ships and what cargo you load them with....lol!

chaoyun2k
9 years ago#7
Good point about courage, but that doesn't apply to mates since you can't get the gunnery skill for them and they either have it or they don't. For mates the courage stat may actually have a range where it has meaning, but if the mates are really loyal to you then it doesn't mean much.

I don't recall ever seeing a speed of 21 knots, but then I seldom have that showing when I sail. You can have 20 knots as long as the wind against you is 3 or less, and it may be even higher depending on your levels and type of ship.

Fitch and Walweik have both given me incorrect information. This is easily verified when buying a ship. You know that the discount is 0.2 times the charm, so you can use the quoted price and determine the lowest possible price. I realized that Fitch was taking kickbacks when I was buying a ship that was the same as one I had bought a few minutes earlier.
Even if Walweik is there to be a bookkeeper, he is likely to end up as captain of a ship unless he is at least your eleventh mate. In addition, unless you make him the first mate he will increase in stats a lot quicker (especially knowledge and intuition) if he is the captain of a ship.

I think that the stats are possibly paired. For example, Leadership and Seamanship work together to improve your sailing abilities, and Knowledge and Intuition work together to improve your information abilities. If that is the case then you could also conclude that Courage and Swordsmanship work together to improve your battle abilities.

Another thing that I didn't mention in this topic, but I have in previous topics, is that IF a mate's stats are higher (or become higher) than the main character's stats then that mate is likely to become disloyal (even if you treated 20 times or more before hiring them).

The exact mathematical formula I don't know since there are too many factors but they are all tied together and the type of ship also is a big factor
I wish there was a way to find these things. I agree and that is one of the reasons I gave up on the battle testing.

Well, I was trying to give a basic answer and it turned into another of the discussions with a wall of text. If we try to provide all the "exceptions" and possibilities then we would have a huge topic. That would be fine with me too. XD

MrKamikazejl
9 years ago#8
Good info chaoyun2k! I've never had the problem you had with Fitch or Walweik, but I don't doubt it is true. They always have given my good quotes. Could be because I always use Ernst as my main character? Maybe the bookkkeepers are related to whom your main character is? And courage you are right, I was just referring to the main character. I just hire my mates based on whether they have the gunnery skill since I knew you couldn't acquire it. I hire mates without gunnery quite frequently. They man my ships until I can hire all 9 mates. And if you aren't into battles or only into dueling than the gunnery stat for your mates isn't a concern at all. I just like to build up my mates (guess that is the RPG thing that is inherent in us all...lol!) Has no influence on the outcome of this game but is one of the reasons I play it.

Dark_Gaia
9 years ago#9
Wall of text is good. That means there's good information here!

I've always had some suspicions of the stats being paired, but since there are so many random factors in this game that it's impossible to test. I think I might be able to test sailing with some cheats, though.

Another thing that I didn't mention in this topic, but I have in previous topics, is that IF a mate's stats are higher (or become higher) than the main character's stats then that mate is likely to become disloyal (even if you treated 20 times or more before hiring them).

I don't know, but I may be able to test this out with some cheats. There's a huge list of cheats in the faqs section. I'll test it out and give you guys an answer later.

In my experience, Brigantines and Buss' are very difficult ships to sail at top speed using minimal crew.

Does the minimal crew thing act the same as the canon topic I was asking about earlier? Say a boat needs 20 crew for sailing, does it matter if I have 30 crew assigned to it? It's hard to tell with the constantly changing winds, water flow, and what not.

chaoyun2k
9 years ago#10
I think that the "minimum crew" is referring to using less than the amount allocated by the bunk amount. In other words I think the minimum crew in this case is when the number of crew is in the red but the ship will still move at the maximum speed. The bunk amount is more of an optimal amount for that ship and will move at maximum speed (based on sailing levels, etc) at any time. You don't really gain anything by having more than the optimal amount assigned to navigation, unless you are expecting to loose some of the crew. You only gain then because you don't drop below the optimal amount (if you planned it right).
  1. Boards
  2. New Horizons
  3. Character stats, what do they do?