• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Punch-Out!!
  3. Anyone still playing this?

User Info: toritoritori247

toritoritori247
4 years ago#1
So, I broke this out after having not played in a long time. I mean, a really long time. Once upon a time, I had some really sick times on here, though of course none of them are as fast as the world records or anything.

I just remember having Bear Hugger as my worst time, and it was just over 17 seconds. I also know for a fact that I had Hoy Quarlow in under 9 seconds, which is really damn close to the WR. How I did it, I have no idea, but I distinctly remember it. I made the mistake of letting a friend borrow my cart, and he ended up messing it up and all my data got erased. This was shortly after the game came out, probably around 95-96 at latest.

Anyway, I've been trying to watch videos and get better at this again. Going more for buffer strats, since I seem to have trouble with frame-perfect hits. Really struggling trying to find a good strat for Mad Clown, as I'm wanting to try to get a really high score on the World Circuit.

Looking on SDA, most of the fights have notes on them, but that one doesn't. It also seems like one of the more random fights. Anyway, I guess I'll share more if this gets any replies, but it's fun to be diving back into this after years of not playing it. Hell, I didn't play it for a decade or more after losing all of that data in my early teens, just because of how hard I worked to get it all.
Trusting my soul to the ice cream assassin

User Info: Blair

Blair
4 years ago#2
I used to play a lot of this game. Got accused of cheating on this very board when I posted my times (mainly by a guy called Rick L or something along those lines) and never truly got back into the game after my save data was eventually lost. I think it's every bit as good as the NES game though.
xfdsharks

toritoritori247
4 years ago#3
Nice to see you around here, Blair. I've always preferred this one to MTPO, though I love them both.

And yeah, I really wish I had all of my times at least written down from somewhere back in the day. I know some of them weren't that great, but still (at least for the time when I did them) they were pretty damn solid. Bear Hugger was the only one over 17 seconds, and some were pretty close to the WR times. Especially that Hoy time. I still have no idea how I did that, because when I do that fight these days, it takes me forever haha. Seriously, I've never actually hit the 3 minute mark, and never came close back in the day. But playing through recently, I've beaten him a few times that were over 2:50 lol.

People are silly. Given, there are some people that would go to lengths to cheat, but not too many. I know enough about you to know that if you posted a time, it was legit.

Never did find a good buffer strat for Mad Clown, and only fought Super Macho Man a couple of times before trying the circuit as a whole. Got really good times on Aran and Heike, and a decent time on SMM. My Mad Clown time was pretty bad, but I still ended up with a decent score overall.

I plan on trying to play this more in the near future, and once I actually get back into the groove of it, I'll post some of my times. I definitely need work on a number of the fights, though.

Blair
4 years ago#4
I prefer this one to the original Punch-Out also. It was one of my favourite games during the SNES era. I'll go play it a bit right now for old times sake.
xfdsharks

toritoritori247
4 years ago#5
hehe. Nice! Glad I got someone else wanting to hit it up as well. And yeah, I played the living hell out of it back in middle school. The first guy I let borrow it (who actually took great care of it) was the one that got me into "speedrunning" it (I put that in quotes because I'm not going for any kind of records or anything now, just solid times).

But yeah, before that, I probably still had times of at least 15-20 seconds on even the easiest of fights, and some were really bad. When he gave it back to me, among other things, he had Gabby Jay and Piston Hurricane at around 7-8 seconds, and he taught me about being able to stun fighters really quickly. I took that and ran with it. For a long time, I'd keep it for a week or two, then let him borrow it for the same time and we'd try to top each other's times.

Blair
4 years ago#6
I wish I could remember more about my old times. Checking out the current records, Gabby Jay and Piston Hurricane have tied me, Bob Charlie is either tied or one frame better (not 100% sure anymore but I'm surprised if I missed that frame using the same fighting strat), Bear Hugger is quite a lot better than what I ever had, and the rest, well, who knows. Most likely everything else is at least slightly or in some cases significantly better, but there'll always be that little tiny bit of wonder in my head. I figured out a lot of things on my own that it seems everyone else is now aware of - most notably pausing the game to let your meter fill but things like the speed/power of various attacks too. Shame that none of the kids around here even bothered to ask me how I got those times before writing me off.

My win/loss was 255-0 just to give an idea of how much I used to play this. In spite of that I don't think my circuit scores were ever quite as good as the individual times that all came from time attack.
xfdsharks

toritoritori247
4 years ago#7
Right. For the most part, I think a lot of my times were more like buffer strats as opposed to going for frame perfect hits, although I'm sure some fell in the latter. Either way, much like you, I definitely wish I could see some of my old times just for curiosity's sake.

Some I can remember easily enough, like 6.64 on Gabby Jay or 6.11 on Piston Hurricane. Again, most were a lot like that (not frame perfect, but still very solid). All the same, I still have no idea what I did to beat Hoy so quickly. I wish like hell I could remember the exact time, especially seeing that the record on SDA stands at 8.35. While I don't think it was quite that low, I'm 100 percent certain that it was under 9 seconds. I even remember one night when I was staying at my friend's house (the one I mentioned trading the game back and forth with), he came in to the room I was sleeping in about 4 in the morning and yelled "How in the hell did you beat Hoy so fast?!" lol.

My guess is that, on that particular fight, I did get lucky with some frame-perfect shots, because from what I remember, my 2nd best time wasn't anywhere near that good (like probably somewhere in the 12-15 second range).

But yeah, I don't know for sure how much time I'll put into this, but I do plan on trying to improve a lot of my times (as well as my scores). Like you, I always focused more on the individual time attacks, but I know I had some pretty good scores as well, especially on the Minor and Major circuits. I'd also definitely be interested to hear any random strategies you have to talk about, though I realize from the way it sounds that it was probably a long time ago that you did this and you may not remember. If you do break it back out, feel free to throw out any random strats, and I'll do the same.

I didn't do too much the other night when I played. I was mostly practicing the World Circuit fighters, and got somewhat decent times against Aran and Heike (I think both were ~12 seconds, not that close to WR, but still good considering I wasn't going for the frame perfect shots). I struggled a lot and never figured out any good strat against Mad Clown, and only practiced Macho Man a couple of times before trying the circuit as a whole. I forget what my exact score ended up as, but I'm thinking it was ~350K. Not bad at all, especially since the fight against Mad Clown was horrible. I think I was around 1:45 and also got knocked down once, heh.

Anyway, I plan on trying to practice more eventually, and once I actually get all of the fighters down somewhat and have semi-respectable times, I'll probably post them here.

Blair
4 years ago#8
I played briefly last night and over the next few days I do plan to try and put some decent records again. For some fighters it will be easy but there are others that are substantially luck based and will require a lot of attempts. We'll see how it goes.

Playing it did bring back memories of when I first bought and played the game. I remember pausing the game when Mad Clown threw his juggling balls lol and feeling cheap about it. I also recall losing to Hoy outright as reacting to stick attacks instead of punches was not intuitive to me at the time.
xfdsharks

User Info: Paradise

Paradise
4 years ago#9
Cool to see more folks gettin back into this. I've been doing SS runs and blindfolded practice lately.

Tori, your sub 9 second Hoy fight likely involved the fastest dizzy combo which is luck based (land a bunch of unstunned jabs/hooks without counterpunching, and Hoy not being horrible and blocking/dodging/otherwise ruining the combo).

If you're going for high scores, you can easily clear 600K on all 3 circuits by deliberately losing via a time-out at 3 mins on a fight where you can score more points than the continues are worth:

Minor - use Bear Hugger
Major - Dragon Chan or Masked Muscle. both are luck reliant though
World - Aran Ryan. Not luck reliant, and you can get sick scores; 800K+ is not impossible on world circuit
Special - Nick Bruiser if you feel lucky, otherwise speed strats with extra dizzys can get you above 650K

Later gaters!
what is this i dont even

toritoritori247
4 years ago#10
Thanks for the input, Paradise. I've definitely seen a lot of your posts lately about your blindfolded runs/successes on MTPO.

Yeah, I could tell just by fighting Hoy some lately that there's a lot of randomness in there, seemingly more than most fights. I just remember being completely shocked when I stunned him and even more so that I actually landed the super punch at the right time to knock him down. It was definitely very lucky, I know that much.

I wondered about something like that when it came to high scores. I had considered the possibility but hadn't actually tried it yet. Good info!
  1. Boards
  2. Super Punch-Out!!
  3. Anyone still playing this?
  • Topic Archived