• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Super Metroid
  3. Super Metroid's atmosphere is scary

User Info: FurryBoi

FurryBoi
9 months ago#1
Anyone agree? Everytime I play it I feel uneasy. ESPECIALLY IN MARIDIA! I know that's what the game wanted to make you feel like and damn did it deliver!
STARSET is my favorite band ever!!! "My heart was bulletproof till you took off the jacket"

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
9 months ago#2
Varies from one area to another. Maridia is eerie, no doubt about it; IMO the wrecked ship is worse. Especially before you neutralize Phantoon.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: FolkenRawr

FolkenRawr
9 months ago#3
Saw the topic and immediately thought of Meridia/wrecked ship.
GameFAQs Official 7DS Discord - https://discord.gg/ugRQfqh
7DS Grand Cross - 917687993

User Info: BareknuckleRoo

BareknuckleRoo
9 months ago#4
It's a game that does a good job at several points in time of creating a definite "horror" vibe, with serious tension despite running around in a high-tech power suit with laser cannons. There's several other games I can think of that are horror themed or do a good job of making the player feel tension and afraid for their survival in a similar way without being true "survival horror" (a genre that didn't quite take off as a distinct thing until the PS1 era) such as Splatterhouse, SAR: Search and Rescue, and even Ecco the Dolphin (particularly in the darker, more claustrophobic zones).

User Info: MarshawnLynch

MarshawnLynch
8 months ago#5
Maridia doesn’t strike me as scary at all. If anything this area seems like a respite from the intense areas like Norfair. Visually it looks like the inside of a fish tank or something, the music is ponderous rather than menacing, and most of the enemies are just local flora and fauna. Hell, to even drive this home there’s that hidden area with the mama turtle thing and her babies.
The architects of international Zionism will stop at nothing to prevent Frog's truth from being heard. - CW_McGraw

User Info: TheJackyl

TheJackyl
7 months ago#6
As someone who has a fear of deep water, Maridia was terrifying. I couldn't play the underwater section of Metroid Prime for long periods before my anxiety got to me.

Draygon also gave me nightmares when I first played this game in 94. Now, Maridia is still eerie, but it doesn't trigger my anxiety at all. Prime's area still does, but that's most likely because it's first person and it's dark and murky (from my memory, I haven't played since it's release)
Ah, good old blowing. It's the answer to so many of life's problems... Stupendous.. -tabion20

User Info: FurryBoi

FurryBoi
7 months ago#7
TheJackyl posted...
As someone who has a fear of deep water, Maridia was terrifying. I couldn't play the underwater section of Metroid Prime for long periods before my anxiety got to me.

Draygon also gave me nightmares when I first played this game in 94. Now, Maridia is still eerie, but it doesn't trigger my anxiety at all. Prime's area still does, but that's most likely because it's first person and it's dark and murky (from my memory, I haven't played since it's release)
u should try prime 2. u go into a flooded catacomb at some point and it's actually pretty scary
STARSET is my favorite band ever!!! "My heart was bulletproof till you took off the jacket"

User Info: TheJackyl

TheJackyl
7 months ago#8
I've tried all the Prime Trilogy, got up to the final boss in Prime 1, got to the forced backtracking in 2, and gave up on 3 due to the motion controls not working. I remember a section where you needed to use the grapple beam to move satellites and swing between the platforms while Space Pirates respawned endlessly to undo your work, and I couldn't even get a swing to register to get to the next platform before the Space pirates moved the satellite back.

I might have to give Prime 1 and 2 another shot sometime. Maybe if they remake the Trilogy on the Switch

Ah, good old blowing. It's the answer to so many of life's problems... Stupendous.. -tabion20

User Info: mahman77

mahman77
2 months ago#9
Frightened, yet curious to explore the beauty. A little bit hesistant to start the mayhem. Kind of like sex. I think I feel confident enough to recommend the rom hack Metroid Super Zero Mission, late at night with a bottle of whiskey as your only friend.

User Info: BigK1016

BigK1016
2 weeks ago#10
Soundtrack really adds to this. Incredible soundtrack.
twitch.tv/bigk1016
Give me a follow!
  1. Boards
  2. Super Metroid
  3. Super Metroid's atmosphere is scary
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A

How do I do a wall jump? Side Quest1 Answer
Stuck in Brinstar? Side Quest4 Answers
How do I get past the spot right after fightng Ridley? Main Quest2 Answers
Stuck in Norfair? Main Quest3 Answers
Where can I find Space Jump? Side Quest2 Answers