You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Metroid
  3. Going to remove my FAQs

User Info: Tifas_Revenge

Tifas_Revenge
2 months ago#1
All,

Yes it's been 13 years. I want to improve my FAQs but I know I am probably not best suited to do so without community help. The reason for this is that it has outdated information, and more and more people are down voting it, and it's like a huge stab in the back... a technique often used by cowards, trolls, and just downright mean people. So I'm making the decision to either update it or remove it from GameFAQs permanently. If I have to, I'll close my entire GameFAQs account, move to another website, and leave because it seems like the community here has gotten too hostile, infantile and trolly.
Tifas-Revenge, champion first level 99 Sorceress, Diablo 2 USWest 08/27/2004. https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/the-offical-99-has-been-hit.242217/

User Info: Spanettone

Spanettone
2 months ago#2
do you write Faqs to receive hits, votes and comments? if yes, then moving elsewhere is a good choice because here the system encourages anonymity so anyone can come here and insult you and your guides

but, personally, I don't agree with this point of view

I don't care about hits, I don't care about votes, I don't care about comments: I write guides because I like it and surely the opinion of a bunch of anonymous trolls/users will not change my point of view or my opinion about my works

User Info: Melodia

Melodia
2 months ago#3
If it has outdated information and you know it...you're surprised at downvotes?

The system is THERE to show disapproval easily. Dismissing everyone's grievances -- especially when you even know yourself that there's bad info -- as being done by "cowards, trolls, and just downright mean people" is mind boggling in the extreme.
Always Remember, Green Hair Is Cool.

User Info: shadestreet

shadestreet
2 months ago#4
Since your FAQs are unique, I don't see why you would remove them. Ignore the comments/votes.

Spanettone
2 months ago#5
Melodia posted...

The system is THERE to show disapproval easily. Dismissing everyone's grievances -- especially when you even know yourself that there's bad info -- as being done by "cowards, trolls, and just downright mean people" is mind boggling in the extreme.

wait

I've seen you have no contribution so maybe you don't know how the system really works and how much frustrating it could be

any user from the internet can come here, insult you and/or your works and leave safely because the current system encourages the anonymity: this is the only "main stream" site I know when you can do this... facebook, youtube, deviantart etc etc... or any web forum force you to subscribe before to let you to leave comments so you can see who posted what: in this way cowards and trolls can be banned easily

just like I said, I don't care about hits, votes or comments but other authors may become discouraged watching their works being destroyed by a bunch of cowards and trolls that hide themselves behind this horrible anonymous system

User Info: Melodia

Melodia
2 months ago#6
I suppose if they actually are giving you insulting messages, you have a point.

If they are simply down voting, then ir's pretty insulting to them to call them "cowards and trolls" because the happened to be using the system for what it's meant to do.
Always Remember, Green Hair Is Cool.

Spanettone
2 months ago#7
Melodia posted...
I suppose if they actually are giving you insulting messages, you have a point.

If they are simply down voting, then ir's pretty insulting to them to call them "cowards and trolls" because the happened to be using the system for what it's meant to do.

just like I said, you have no contribution so you really have no idea how this system really works

this system works only to get hits for the site: the purpose of feedbacks or suggestions about improving the guides are totally inexistent because most of votes and comments are garbage but, until it brings hits to this site, ehy, it's a good thing, right?

User Info: retroid34

retroid34
2 months ago#8
I recommended the NBMB FAQ just now but didn't comment by mistake.

I had great fun with the NBMB runs back in the day. The new temporary or whatever NBMB runs by Eternised Dragon are full of TAS tricks and not possible for most players. Interesting on a theorical POV but not to worth playing if you're not a confirmed TASer.

Even if it's outdated I feel you should just leave it for a historical reference. I don't post FAQS personally but it looks like the trollish comments are making you feel bad, but you should know your work is appreciated too. As usual the good people are less vocal than the trolls, but it doesn't mean they don't exist.

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
2 months ago#9
Melodia posted...

This 100%.

But then again, this topic's existence shows TC just wants attention. Otherwise they'd have simply pulled the faqs (or... ya know... update them), instead of making a fuss expecting sympathy as if they're the only person that has ever been downvoted.

I realize this comes off as overly harsh, but it is what it is.
Do you like polls?? We have new ones every day: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1475-always-making-polls
*Currently seeking poll makers and topic bumpers*

User Info: industrializeit

industrializeit
2 months ago#10
Just put at the top of your guides you are aware there is outdated information in them, and that you will update them as soon as you can find some help with that. It's on you to find that help. Make a new topic for this and maybe that's all you need.
I personally like Link as a Rugged Shaman Swashbuckler more than Resourceful Gadget Boy. That's why Zelda II is one of my all time favorites, ...(see quote)
  1. Boards
  2. Super Metroid
  3. Going to remove my FAQs