A New TAS

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
5 months ago#11
Gonna have to watch this later. All I have is my phone though, which sucks.

User Info: Jetforcebelmont

Jetforcebelmont
5 months ago#12
There's a 0% TAS also done by Sniq where, after the moonfall in Green Brinstar, he manages to trigger the ending credits at the bottom of the shaft. I'd think something similar to that is considered OOB.
You have your opinions.

User Info: retroid34

retroid34
5 months ago#13
Night_Wight posted...
You should check out some of the older TASes with the out of bounds/corruption stuff being used, they end up skipping most of the game and it's even harder to follow what's happening than in this one

I've already watched some glitched runs, both real-time and TAS. Went from from GT code for space time beam, to X-ray scope for OOB, to the more recent ones with pause abuse through doors. Even mentioned it in my previous post. They're even more broken, sure, but at least they give an explanation how they corrupt memory. But with those X-ray sparks in the latest TAS I don't know wtf happens.

User Info: BigBoct

BigBoct
5 months ago#14
Aran Jaeger did a pretty big write-up on the tricks in the run in the submission topic at TASVideos, but the site is not loading for me. Should be on page 4 of the topic.

EDIT: Site's working for me now so here's the link. http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=466021#466021

Jetforcebelmont posted...
There's a 0% TAS also done by Sniq where, after the moonfall in Green Brinstar, he manages to trigger the ending credits at the bottom of the shaft. I'd think something similar to that is considered OOB.

Yeah, the OOB in that case leads to arbitrary code execution, IIRC.
On 11/01/17, I began my quest to collect every PSP UMD released in North America, complete in box. Follow my progress at https://tinyurl.com/yckaqgpq

GoukiAkujiki
5 months ago#15
I definitely need to read that ^ write up.

I personally found this to be a little to glitchy for me. No memory corruption, but the game was corrupted for the entire second half.

Still enjoyed watching a lot of it. The route was nuts at times and I like the totally whacky item acquisition (power bombs from Etecoon room? Sweet).

But yeah, the blue suit seemingly at will, the shine spark X-ray Scope shenanigans... I don't get it. Then the graphics get F'd and I can't stop thinking how I hope they'll go back to normal.

Edit: Oh and I got to watch it on my grandmas iPad, so it was way better than what I thought at first, which was just my s***ty phone. Do I enjoyed myself and that's all that matters! lol

User Info: BigBoct

BigBoct
5 months ago#16
Sniq also provided a secondary encode which fixes the worst of the graphical corruption to make the run easier to follow. It's the second YT embed in the submission.
On 11/01/17, I began my quest to collect every PSP UMD released in North America, complete in box. Follow my progress at https://tinyurl.com/yckaqgpq

User Info: genestealer

genestealer
5 months ago#17
Oh, so that's what the second one was for. It's definitely more welcoming to watch when the door caps spawn where they're supposed to.

Looking at that writeup for some information on the G-mode, while I can't claim to fully understand it, I can at least tell my assessment was pretty far off the mark, and also have to question if it can really be considered a minor glitch considering some of the stuff it does.

GoukiAkujiki
5 months ago#18
Boct1584 posted...
Sniq also provided a secondary encode which fixes the worst of the graphical corruption to make the run easier to follow. It's the second YT embed in the submission.

I also was curious about this. And of course I just watched the first one. Darn.

User Info: Sadekuuro

Sadekuuro
5 months ago#19
retroid34 posted...
I'm no pro like Sniq and I trust his description (he refers to it as God mode, the name is fitting), but to my noob eyes the reverse Lower Norfair entrance really looked like an OOB thing to me

I was around when g-mode was discovered, so I think I actually know what's happening here -- the activation of this mode prevents the crumble blocks (and presumably the breakable pillars as well) in the middle of the room from spawning, so the room can be traversed in bounds simply by walking/jumping right through it.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived