"Super Metroid" Reviewed by SNESBOSS

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Metroid
  3. "Super Metroid" Reviewed by SNESBOSS

User Info: Jetforcebelmont

Jetforcebelmont
3 months ago#11
Jeez, Chris. Let the guy post a review and ask for thoughts. It's what this forum is for, anyways. Discussion of the game. Whether or not it's a good / bad review can be judged on his opinion of the game and thus can open up discussion about the game, so it's perfectly reasonable to do so.
You have your opinions.

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
3 months ago#12
Lol you guys.

Christurk, of course you or I or other veterans don't care about the review. We know what we think and feel. But he clearly said why he wrote it and who he wrote it for. Hint: it wasn't us. Though to be honest, new players won't trust the opinion of anyone but another new player. It's hard to convince someone that you're writing with experience but somehow ignoring said experience. It doesn't work that way.

Now can I get some SNES best games discussion please ffs?

GoukiAkujiki
3 months ago#13
GoukiAkujiki posted...
Now can I get some SNES best games discussion please ffs?

@SNESBOSS
I'm guessing Chrono Trigger is up there pretty high?

User Info: SNESBOSS

SNESBOSS
3 months ago#14
@GoukiAkujiki

The only thing I will say is, my Top 3 favorite games of all time (not just from the SNES... although all 3 of them happen to be from the console), are:

1- Final Fantasy VI
2- Chrono Trigger
3- Super Metroid

Ever since the mid to late 1990s, this is the "Holy Trinity" for me.
And considering how the game industry is going, these will remain my Top 3 'til the grave.
The "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" is THE best videogame console ever made; period!

GoukiAkujiki
3 months ago#15
That's "the only thing you'll say"? You have a name SNESBOSS, you come here promoting a review to people to read your opinion, but can't be bothered to spend a minute discussing something? You're kinda being weird about this whole thing, to be honest. I guess you're not as passionate about the SNES as I thought. Or as you project.

User Info: Sega9599

Sega9599
3 months ago#16
He's no SNESBOSS.
More like "a guy that likes the SNES"

Not "a guy who loves the console to bits and appreciates every game on there"

Ah I don't know, i don't want to appear bitter, he has his own review and opinion. Why don't you tell us what comments in the feedback you've received so far SB?
Needed: New Pokemon Puzzle League, Shining Force and Left 4 Dead....

User Info: Silverhermit

Silverhermit
3 months ago#17
I would disagree with the notion of the game's difficulty being 'just right', as well as the suggestion that the game requires a lot of patience... Especially when answering a question about certain prerequisite power-ups you find as the game unfolds.

SM is far too easy, at no point should any gamer of reasonable skill feel like their 'life' is under threat during a playthrough of this game. From save points no more than a couple of screens away at any given time (except for the 'Lower Norfair' section, by which time you should have many many energy tanks and reserve tanks too!), coupled with energy 'drops' from pretty much every enemy you kill giving virtually limitless 'health'. Christ, there are even rooms in the game where all there is is a hole where 5(!) enemies come out, and you can sit there and farm health/weapons, without any threat at all!

As for patience... I don't that word is applicable. It doesn't really take any time to really master the grapple beam, wall jump and/or space jump, No more time it takes to master the cape in Super Mario World....
I Like Your Style Gnome

User Info: genestealer

genestealer
3 months ago#18
The game isn't designed for a "gamer of reasonable skill", it's designed for beginners. It requires that you learn the basic mechanics and collect some power ups, and leaves room to do so without straight out telling you what to do, but doesn't let you get away with ignoring it. As a veteran player the game is of course extremely easy, but you normally don't design games to be challenging for someone who has already played it.

User Info: Silverhermit

Silverhermit
3 months ago#19
genestealer posted...
The game isn't designed for a "gamer of reasonable skill", it's designed for beginners. It requires that you learn the basic mechanics and collect some power ups, and leaves room to do so without straight out telling you what to do, but doesn't let you get away with ignoring it. As a veteran player the game is of course extremely easy, but you normally don't design games to be challenging for someone who has already played it.

I wasn't suggesting anything about 'veterans' etc. I was suggesting that, even at its release, it was considered to be far too easy.
You spend £50 on a game expecting some level of challenge, but it simply wasn't challenging.
Hence the notion of gamers with 'reasonable skill'. Skills that are transferable between games/genres. I can't recall, in 1994, anyone mentioning that SM was designed for beginners.
In fact, a lot of column inches were given to the challenge.. The challenge not being one of survival, but of discovering all the hidden power-ups. To me, a premier title on any console should feature both.
I mean, even Metroid Prime featured a harder difficulty level upon completion... All that happens when you complete SM is you realise how much time you spent avoiding things which (in retrospect) offered no real threat.
I Like Your Style Gnome

User Info: Jetforcebelmont

Jetforcebelmont
3 months ago#20
I guess maybe I didn't have any reasonable skill as a child because I had quite a difficult time in the game. Thanks, silverhermit!
You have your opinions.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Metroid
  3. "Super Metroid" Reviewed by SNESBOSS

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived