• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Kart
  3. Donkey Kong Jr is being really obnoxious lately

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
4 months ago#1
I have been practising this game a lot recently, and one thing that I have noticed for a long time now is that Donkey Kong Jr has had an annoying tendency to always win over the other characters (and sometimes me as well).
Basically, the races are mostly a competition between me and him, and we pretty much take turns getting 1st and 2nd place most of the time (and he also throws banana peels all the time - I swear he throws them like every 5-10 seconds - and then he also raises his arms at random moments like "yeah, I am the s***", which really aggravates me, lol).

Have you ever had a similar experience like this, when one of the characters just seem to have got into God mode and more or less dominates the races?

I am currently playing the 150cc Grand Prix races by the way, and I have finished Mushroom Cup and Flower Cup, and I started practising on Star Cup a few minutes ago.
Hello.

User Info: basser2204

basser2204
4 months ago#2
The order of the racers depends on the character you select and who is currently closest to you in points. So since you're playing as Yoshi (just a guess, I haven't played a character that's not Bowser in forever and don't really know each character's main rival) DK will always be your main rival. The only way that changes is if you hit him with an item and he finishes behind another character, but then that character will just take his place in being annoying.

If you hit your next closest competitor with an item, they will always speed up to regain their proper place in line. That rubberbanding is just how the game goes. The only way to bump them out of second place is to hit them on the last lap or hit them on a spot that does major damage (MC2's zippers, GV3 after the platform jump).

DK always drives with his arms up. It only shows on the bottom screen when he faces the camera tho. Similar to how Yoshi always drives with his tongue out, but that only shows when he goes right or left.
In the beginning you will see a black square. This is actually a cave. Make Zelda walk into the cave and get the Brown Sword. The rest is easy if you have it.

User Info: Distant_Rainbow

Distant_Rainbow
4 months ago#3
basser2204 posted...
The order of the racers depends on the character you select and who is currently closest to you in points. So since you're playing as Yoshi (just a guess, I haven't played a character that's not Bowser in forever and don't really know each character's main rival) DK will always be your main rival.

Incorrect. He's playing as Mario.

Your character-----Default main CPU rival
-------------------------------------------------------
Mario-----------------DK Jr.
Luigi------------------Yoshi
Peach----------------Bowser
Yoshi-----------------Koopa Troopa
Bowser--------------Mario
DK Jr.----------------Toad
Koopa Troopa-----Luigi
Toad------------------Peach
Link meets Fire Emblem in CYOA: Tales of Elibe! Come read, and find out what happens! Click below!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/468480-fire-emblem/77111212

Peter_19
4 months ago#4
Thanks, guys.
Yeah, I am playing as Mario.

I actually played this game with my little brother a few days ago, and I would always use Mario whereas he always used Luigi, and I remember that we were mad at Yoshi quite often.
We would often be like "that damn Yoshi", and specifically target him whenever possible, haha.
That seems consistent with the fact that Yoshi is Luigi's main rival.
Hello.

Distant_Rainbow
4 months ago#5
Peter_19 posted...
Thanks, guys.
Yeah, I am playing as Mario.

I actually played this game with my little brother a few days ago, and I would always use Mario whereas he always used Luigi, and I remember that we were mad at Yoshi quite often.
We would often be like "that damn Yoshi", and specifically target him whenever possible, haha.
That seems consistent with the fact that Yoshi is Luigi's main rival.

I daresay. If you play 2-player GP, the CPU racer order uses the second player character's list. So Yoshi would be the main rival if your brother was playing as Player 2!Luigi, regardless of who you chose(unless you chose Yoshi yourself, in which case the main rival would be Mario owing to the fact that Mario is Luigi's 'second-best CPU rival'.).
Link meets Fire Emblem in CYOA: Tales of Elibe! Come read, and find out what happens! Click below!

Peter_19
4 months ago#6
Distant_Rainbow posted...
I daresay. If you play 2-player GP, the CPU racer order uses the second player character's list. So Yoshi would be the main rival if your brother was playing as Player 2!Luigi, regardless of who you chose(unless you chose Yoshi yourself, in which case the main rival would be Mario owing to the fact that Mario is Luigi's 'second-best CPU rival'.).
Yeah, we had lots of problems with Yoshi.
There was also one occasion when some other character seemed to become super-skilled all of a sudden;
I don't remember who it was, but I think that it was either Bowser or Donkey Kong Jr.

By the way, I kept an eye on Donkey Kong Jr today on my last practice run of 150cc Star Cup one time when he was behind everyone else on Vanilla Lake 1, and wow, he was fast as hell.
He speeded past everyone in just a few seconds, and then he was right behind me again.
I did have a Red Shell though, so I threw that on him and had him end up among the losers, lol.
Hello.
(edited 4 months ago)

Distant_Rainbow
4 months ago#7
Peter_19 posted...
There was also one occasion when some other character seemed to become super-skilled all of a sudden;
I don't remember who it was, but I think that it was either Bowser or Donkey Kong Jr.

This is because the CPU rival order only applies for the very first track of every Grand Prix. From the second track onwards, the points standings determines who the rival is, with the original order only serving as a tiebreaker in case two or more CPU racers have the same amount of points.

Try it yourself. In your example, in any Grand Prix, if you play as Mario and manage to hit DK Jr. near the end of the race so he fails to catch up despite rubberband AI and finishes with a bad standing, he will no longer be the rival from the next track onwards. Instead, the rival will be Peach, who is Mario's 'second-best CPU rival' and will have finished best out of the CPU racers, unless you somehow knocked Peach down as well which results in Yoshi, the 'third-best rival', to become the new rival, etc.

So if you manage to mess up with the CPU standings in the first track, you can see a character with normally very mediocre skills suddenly shoot up in performance in later tracks.

Or it could also just be that you merely witnessed the rival reclaim his place at the top of the CPU pack via rubberband AI after you hit him with an item and forced him to briefly fall behind the others.

Peter_19
4 months ago#8
Distant_Rainbow posted...
This is because the CPU rival order only applies for the very first track of every Grand Prix. From the second track onwards, the points standings determines who the rival is, with the original order only serving as a tiebreaker in case two or more CPU racers have the same amount of points.

Try it yourself. In your example, in any Grand Prix, if you play as Mario and manage to hit DK Jr. near the end of the race so he fails to catch up despite rubberband AI and finishes with a bad standing, he will no longer be the rival from the next track onwards. Instead, the rival will be Peach, who is Mario's 'second-best CPU rival' and will have finished best out of the CPU racers, unless you somehow knocked Peach down as well which results in Yoshi, the 'third-best rival', to become the new rival, etc.

So if you manage to mess up with the CPU standings in the first track, you can see a character with normally very mediocre skills suddenly shoot up in performance in later tracks.

Or it could also just be that you merely witnessed the rival reclaim his place at the top of the CPU pack via rubberband AI after you hit him with an item and forced him to briefly fall behind the others.
Yeah, I was practising a bit yesterday, and I definitely noticed that Peach would sometimes become super-awesome instead of Donkey Kong Jr.
I guess I messed up Donkey Kong Jr on the first race those times.

I also recently started practising with Donkey Kong Jr, since I actually managed to beat all cups on 150cc with Mario (that was very hard, and I was like "wooow...!!!" and was very delighted when I beat Rainbow Road), and this time I am definitely noticing that Toad has an advantage.
But I am still playing on 50cc, since I am trying to get used to Donkey Kong Jr, so nothing is particularly hard at the moment. =P
Hello.
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: DeathMagnetic80

DeathMagnetic80
2 months ago#9
Been playing as DK Jr lately and Toad spamming those damn shrinking mushrooms is a freaking hassle
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Kart
  3. Donkey Kong Jr is being really obnoxious lately
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A