• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Kart
  3. Impossible to legit 150cc as mini?

User Info: Bsw1982

Bsw1982
1 year ago#1
The kart is never fast enough.

User Info: basser2204

basser2204
1 year ago#2
It's quite doable. The only really frustrating track is KB2, but with some watersliding and/or NBT you can get through that one as well. VL1 is tough also.
In the beginning you will see a black square. This is actually a cave. Make Zelda walk into the cave and get the Brown Sword. The rest is easy if you have it.

Bsw1982
1 year ago#3
Anytime I played 150cc, I can always tell how it was gonna go for the rest of the cup based on that DP3 track. Sometimes I could win and then sometimes it seemed unfair. Never understood that. If you can get a good lead in points though, it gives you some breathing room, but not much.

User Info: duffjr

duffjr
1 year ago#4
If you want to see beyond the course, you can do a 2p match race, park one player right before the finish line facing backwards on final lap, get a lightning bolt with the other player, activate it before finishing the race, smash the other player, cross the finish line winning the race, and watch the other player float into the background. I can upload a video tonight.

Bsw1982
1 year ago#5
Sounds too confusing. I wish you would get some other reward for clearing special on 150cc. Other than a trophy. Why not a mirror mode?

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
1 year ago#6
Can one of you tell me a little more about this water sliding and NBT? And what is NBT?
To this day, I still CANNOT go worth a damn in 150cc special with Princess, Yoshi, Mario, or Luigi. I can almost reliably do it with Toad and Koopa and sometimes with the heavy riders, but not those other 4.

A mini challenge? OMG, I'll have to try it but I'll start out with the other cups first lol.
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...

User Info: The_Ecstatic329

The_Ecstatic329
1 year ago#7
^ I was just going to say as a mini kart? Damn lol. I was in Second place at 150CC tonight in special cup. Rainbow road I just needed to get 2nd to finish in silver but nope. 4 ranked outs in a row and I love that track it's not as hard as many make it. Bowser was just knocking me all over.

Actually playing Flower Cup it was amazing. I was in first and guaranteed the gold. All I had to do was get 4th really. On the final track it made me rank out twice. No matter what that CPU was playing damn near impossible to get ahead of fourth place. Very challenging but addictive of the challenge haha.

User Info: basser2204

basser2204
1 year ago#8
NBT stands for New Boost Technique. It was discovered in 2001 by Jamie White in the notable Time Trial community (mariokartplayers.com/smk), but Japanese players were using it all the way back in the mid-90's so the word 'new' is outdated.

Basically, NBT consists of building up a boost and then releasing it over sand/grass/water/snow areas. If you boost over these non-track portions of any course, you don't lose any speed. In order to build a boost, you have to be turning while holding R for about 1 second and then countersteer and release R to obtain the boost. It's possible to manipulate the game into thinking you're turning for an extended period of time by holding R and zig-zagging down straightaways, which allows for all sorts of minor cuts to be made. Watch time trial world record vids on youtube to get an idea.

Watersliding is kind of a different animal. On the KB tracks it is possible to not lose any speed while traversing the shallow water portions even without a boost. To do the waterslide, you have to hop into the water while powersliding and then let go of the direction you're holding and the R button. If you combine this technique with a boost, you can go through huge portions of water without slowing down. The waterslide technique can also be used on snow without any speed loss, but is far less significant on the VL tracks.
In the beginning you will see a black square. This is actually a cave. Make Zelda walk into the cave and get the Brown Sword. The rest is easy if you have it.

User Info: Goldenguy

Goldenguy
1 year ago#9
Tried this last week on the first cup, led wire to wire pretty much no issues.

Probably try the others soon, when I am kid free again.
Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand.
Ignorance, prejudice, and fear walk hand in hand.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Kart
  3. Impossible to legit 150cc as mini?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A