• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Kart
  3. How to get boost?

User Info: swolemdj

swolemdj
3 years ago#1
I havent played in ages and I have forgotten.
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

User Info: basser2204

basser2204
3 years ago#2
Do you mean the zoom start or mini turbos?

Zoom start: press B about half way between the first and second light. If you're playing GP it's pretty much the same but you get an added visual cue, just press B before the "Round 1" disappears. If you're on PAL system instead of NTSC the visual cue doesn't work and when to press is a little bit later, but the adjustment needed is minimal.

As for mini turbos while driving you need to be turning while holding R for about one second. Once the turn is finished, countersteer and release R and you get a short boost.
In the beginning you will see a black square. This is actually a cave. Make Zelda walk into the cave and get the Brown Sword. The rest is easy if you have it.

User Info: TheTRobbReport

TheTRobbReport
3 years ago#3
Another cool tip re: mini turbos, I didn't know they were in this version. Thanks!

I'd imagine they aren't terribly practical in SMK, as the courses don't seem designed around long drifts, but I could be mistaken.
Capcom vs SNK 2 advocate

basser2204
3 years ago#4
They are exceedingly useful, actually. Driving offroad while using a mini turbo negates the slow down effect, allowing you to cut large portions of track with no speed loss.
In the beginning you will see a black square. This is actually a cave. Make Zelda walk into the cave and get the Brown Sword. The rest is easy if you have it.

TheTRobbReport
3 years ago#5
Maybe I misunderstood - does the drifting technique you described in the locked thread perform mini turbos as well? Given how short the drifts often are in SMK, I haven't noticed myself getting a speed boost when applying that technique (*generally - I have noticed a random speed boost every now and then, but it's inconsistent).

Do you need to apply a snaking technique in SMK to take advantage of the mini turbos?
Capcom vs SNK 2 advocate

basser2204
3 years ago#6
Drifting is exactly what produces the MTs and standard ones can be set up and used over offroad portions in a few cases, such as the final turn on DP1 or the second turn on MC4.

But you are also correct in assuming a little bit of snaking is required to optimize the boosting technique. It's different in SMK vs the other games because in SMK when you zig-zag, you are kind of tricking the game into thinking you're just making a single turn, all while holding R. So on the smaller turns, the technique is to press+hold R, turn left, then right-left-right-left-right+release R and the boost will trigger. It is extremely difficult to make the boost work on a standard controller because if the game doesn't register a turn for just one frame you will lose the boost. Some 3rd-party controllers have a d-pad that doesn't have quite as big of a bump on the back of it, so they are capable of executing these maneuvers more easily. People have gone so far as to take apart a controller, clip the bump off the back of the d-pad and sand it down a little to make it what we call a "pro-NBT" pad. There's a lot more info on all of this on the forum at mariokart64.com/smk

TheTRobbReport
3 years ago#7
I'm late, but thanks for the explanation.

How often do you use the MTs yourself?
Capcom vs SNK 2 advocate

basser2204
3 years ago#8
Back in 2007-2010, when I was time trialing seriously, I would use them at every opportunity. So that would be 3 per lap on MC1, 4 per lap on DP1, 2 per lap on GV1, and so forth with how each course varies... Now I mainly play 150cc and I do the easy offroad boosts, partly because my controller is so beat up after years of abuse that I can't do them consistently enough. The couple controllers I've bought over the years were 3rd-party and didn't last long. One got to the point where I couldn't turn left with it, lol.

TheTRobbReport
3 years ago#9
Gotcha. I'll probably have to check out some videos to learn where the common boosts are done at some point.

Thanks again!
Capcom vs SNK 2 advocate

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
3 years ago#10
I need to try this again.
Never could make it work in the past.

basser2204 posted...
Back in 2007-2010, when I was time trialing seriously, I would use them at every opportunity. So that would be 3 per lap on MC1, 4 per lap on DP1, 2 per lap on GV1, and so forth with how each course varies... Now I mainly play 150cc and I do the easy offroad boosts, partly because my controller is so beat up after years of abuse that I can't do them consistently enough. The couple controllers I've bought over the years were 3rd-party and didn't last long. One got to the point where I couldn't turn left with it, lol.

lol your old controllers are starting to sound like my GBA, where neither the left or right button work well anymore.
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Kart
  3. How to get boost?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A