• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Shadowrun
  3. Best version to play and fan patch questions

User Info: Banjo_oz

Banjo_oz
7 years ago#1
I used to play this game as a kid but have decided to revisit it all these years later. I'm wanting the "fullest" experience possible, which means choosing either the US release, unreleased beta, or the Japanese subtitled release, right?

I've managed to find a fan patch here that apparently repairs a few of the known bugs in the US release ("unheaderedShadowfix_20120220.ips") but that only works with the US release, not the beta one with the uncut dialog (and as far as I know, there's no reason to play the release over the beta, is there?). Is there a working patch the same as the above-mentioned for the beta version? I found a couple by the same person who made the release patch, but I can't get them to work (as I understand it, I'd know if the patch works if it adds the Head Computer keyword at the game start... or does the beta patches not do this?).

The other alternative is of course the Japanese release, but the subtitles are rather distracting and I am not keen on the new control system in that one. However, if the bug fixes and other changes are worth it, I am happy to play that version. Did anyone make a patch to disable the subtitles, I wonder?

User Info: Banjo_oz

Banjo_oz
7 years ago#2
(still no edit function on gamefaqs?!)

Sorry, I just noticed that the beta patch I mentioned above doesn't force the Head Computer keyword, but otherwise works okay. Is there a more recent beta version patch that the 11/08/2010 one or was one never developed? I don't mind the lack of the Head Computer keyword, but I was wondering if the bug mentioned here http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/588651-shadowrun/62014131 was present/fixed in the beta patch or if the tweaks introduced in "Shadowrunner_Fix.zip" (found elsewhere that I sadly can't remember... same author - Dragoon Zer0 - as the other patches) were ever put into the beta as well?

it would be awesome to see a "definitive" version of the game get patched (I'd vote based on the uncensored beta version, but with the Japanese cutscenes if possible) someday, as IMO the game stands up well even now, apart from a few irritations and odd balance issues.

User Info: Dragoon ZER0

Dragoon ZER0
7 years ago#3
http://www.frontiernet.net/~gt_dragoon/Shadowrun/SNES/BetaShadowfix20131005.ips
-enables Bulletproof Vest at the Dark Blade shop
-caps Firearm skill at 6
-fixes 'default equipment' bug: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/588651-shadowrun/53197837

I didn't know what was fixed in the old beta patch so I started from scratch and it was a good refresher anyway. The head computer 'fix' was rather hamfisted and it's not really a bug anyway. If I ever change it, I'll try to do it through conversation.

You may as well play the beta. It does at least offer something different from the US release and doesn't have the weird controls or extra text of the Japanese version. I'd still say the Japanese version is worth a play if you've never done so.
  1. Boards
  2. Shadowrun
  3. Best version to play and fan patch questions
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A