• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Shadowrun
  3. The Japanese Version is Superior - Version Differences Log

User Info: FenLupis

FenLupis
11 years ago#1
This is a log of all changes from the Japanese version to the original. I'll also be posting changes I've seen in the beta version (it's not just morgue guys and chopshop). The changes from beta to USA versions are cosmetic while there are some very interesting changes to the Japanese version.

First was the BETA version which became the USA version which became the JAP version. So any changes from BETA to USA will also have effected the JAP version.

--------------------------------------------
USA to BETA Version Comparison:
-morgue guys / chopshop dialect change. (I am not going to go through all in game chat and compare, post changes in the script bellow and I will update this post.)

-On every casket in the game there is a Christian cross. Nintendo is a stickler for having little to no religious overtones in their games. This was removed and replaced with a horizontal line.

USA to JAP Version Comparison

-Extended into. It's basically a cut and past of the intro to the first Shadowrun player manuals.

-If you start a new game the scene where Jake is gunned down is played automatically. In the USA version you have to wait at the game menu screen to see this.

-Different save system. You select if you want to play file number 1 or number 2. In game it is impossible to save over the other file. You only get the option to save YES-NO.

-All enemies in the game have their title in a box with red trim.

-The controls have changed, there are no buttons for auto examine, auto interact and quick item menu.

-The positioning of options has been altered (for example, if you click on a door in the USA version and it says Open, Examine and Exit in the JAP version it will say Examine, Open and Exit.

-When you approach the false image of Sassie (the octopus boss "OMG it's Decoy Octopus!") the conversation box will automatically pop up. You can still engage in conversation with her manually.

-When in the Jagged Nails you can get Kitsune to teleport down from the stage by trying to talk to her from any of her three locations. When I first played through the USA version I tried to talk to her and I got the error message "To far away". I assumed this meant it was impossible to interact with her so I was stuck at that part of the game for about 2 hours.

-The Bulletproof Vest is available the very instant you enter the second shop located beside the Dark Blade.

-------------------------------------
I just needed to write these down but this log is very far from complete. I will be playing through the game versions and updating as I go alone and notice more changes.

The being able to buy the Bulletproof Vest and the not being frustrated with Kitsune are the factors in making me call the JAP version superior. Not to mention that changes to the game where made before shipping across seas with the probable intent to improve the game.

FenLupis
11 years ago#2
USA to JAP Version Comparison (continued):

The sounds of certain weapons are different. I can confirm the shotgun for now. I will compare the rest at a later date.

FenLupis
11 years ago#3

-Infinite money glitch via killing Vladamir multiple times by reseting him with the Jester portal has been fixed.

-Controls in cyberspace are different.
'Okay or A' button will more you forward 1 square.
'Magic or Y' button will fight ICE
'Inspect or X' button will gather data
'Cancel or B' button will log out.

-You cannot give an item to someone if you are using it. So in order to sell (for example) the leather jacket. You would need to have purchased and equipped the mesh jacket first. I recommend holding onto the Beretta Pistol for this reason.

FenLupis
11 years ago#4

-The ending is slightly different. There is an added animated instead of seeing the building start to explode. There are also missing boss quotes. Here is a video I made real quick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLdrvhDLjH8

-The Assault Cannon sounds way more devastating.

User Info: Venom1661

Venom1661
11 years ago#5
hey pretty cool. You should post more videos showing the differences. I'd like to hear what the Enfield Cannon sounds like.
Dark RPG Wizard 06 11 years ago#6
What happens if you have Kitsune in your final party in the JPN version?

Also, I notice there's no "I'll see you in Shadowrun 2!" from Drake. Disappointing.
*Casts Doom on everything* You all must now feel the pain that I have felt...DIE!

User Info: Binta

Binta
11 years ago#7
I think Hamfist's weapon sounds different when he fires too, but I could be mistaken.
"If drumsticks are for playing drums, you'd think breadsticks would be for playing bread, wouldn't you?" ~George Carlin

FenLupis
11 years ago#8
Hamfist's weapon is the Shotgun. I mentioned that this does sound different =D

FenLupis
11 years ago#9

- The 'Near Damage' powerball bug was not fixed. It is present in all versions.

- The computer node in the lobby of the Aneki building has been removed.
(I will note that all computers in this game have this dot. It is the animation for their sprite. If you are using an emulator, turn off layer 1 and you'll see what I mean. I use this trick all the time to find out which computers I can interact with.)

- The datafile DF_DS-PUSHKIN is now in the game. I was unaware of it's existence. The Admiral pointed it out to me. It's a shame this file never made it into the USA version as it helps to illuminate the plot for those who had a tough time piecing it together (My 8 year old brain for example . . . ). Typical bad guys, if Drake would have just had him killed we never would have been able to get into Aneki. Here is a screenshot:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k234/kamali999/DF_DS-PUSHKIN.jpg

FenLupis
11 years ago#10

- As requested by Venom1661. Here is a video showcasing the different sounding weapons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlXt0-koGG0

- The Zip Gun has been removed. Impossible to obtain due to needing the Beretta to make money and being unable to give to Hamfist. The PAR codes to obtain the Zip Gun did not work. I tried to cheat with both PAR and Game Genie for starting money so I don't have to pick up the Beretta but neither worked.
  1. Boards
  2. Shadowrun
  3. The Japanese Version is Superior - Version Differences Log
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A