• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Seiken Densetsu 3
  3. Fastest end-game grinding?

User Info: LBoksha

LBoksha
1 month ago#1
I'm currently doing a challenge run with some fairly strict rules (specifically: no healing or items outside inns and golden statues) and am stuck on the Archdemon. Feels like I won't be able to beat him without being level 79 or so (so I at least pretty much max out Riesz and Hawk-Eye's HP; Angela has the highest magic defense so she can probably survive on less health) but it feels like grinding is taking a very long time, even in the Dark Castle (where the enemies are much weaker and give more exp than the holy land).

My routine is moving from the gold statue in front of the castle to the upper levels (ignoring any Kerberos enemies since their fire breath attack does too much damage and will shorten the run too much), then run from where Bijū's tower was up to the highest level of the tower, casting Power Up on the party and using Hidden Needles on Great Demons (to avoid Demon Breath), unless the enemy group is two Evil Shamans and a Great Demon in which case I'll cast Marduk and Holy Ball to avoid a Heal Light deadlock. Once Riesz runs out of MP I nuke the remaining enemy groups on the way down with Ancient. This kills enemies pretty fast and nets about 4000 exp per screen, but it still takes about 30 minutes to grind even a single level, meaning I still have nearly 5 hours to go to get from level 70 to 79.

Is there any way to go faster here?
You try to run away. But there's no escape! The enemy tries to run away. But there's no escape!

LBoksha
1 month ago#2
Eventually did just grind to level 79 that way and I do think that's the fastest you can go.

In hindsight I probably could've done a bit less grinding because the boss is pretty luck based; my first attempt was just incredibly unlucky (with a Half-Vanish and two single-target Thunderstorms hitting Hawk Eye, killing him off before the second phase even started, and me not realizing my defense was down from Airslasher and being unable to cast Water Jutsu anyway to defend against Archdemon's physical attacks in the second phase), while this attempt was kinda medium, and I ended up having about 200 HP left on Riesz and Hawkeye and about 400 on Angela. Tempted to try it again at level 51 (the level I was at when I got there and lost the first attempt; coincidentally also the absolute lowest level you can survive Deathspell at), but for now I'm happy to know I won in the craziest run I'm willing to do in this game.

Maybe time to check out the remake later, if I can find a way to buy the Japanese version...
You try to run away. But there's no escape! The enemy tries to run away. But there's no escape!

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
1 month ago#3
Why the Japanese version? Can you not switch the audio? FYI Japanese speakers have said the voice acting isn't special in Japanese. I recall someone saying neither is all that impressive for the voice acting. The game play itself is great though.

User Info: DragonScholar

DragonScholar
1 month ago#4
Voxwik posted...
Why the Japanese version? Can you not switch the audio?
There is a voice toggle in the NA release, yes; plus a full Japanese language option.

Personally, with the text set to Japanese, I noticed some graphical stuttering here and there in normal gameplay, and it seemed like my Switch was heating up more. (Edit: In comparison to having the text set to English, I mean.) I dunno if that's just a fluke in my case or not, though.
(edited 1 month ago)

LBoksha
4 weeks ago#5
Voxwik posted...
Why the Japanese version? Can you not switch the audio? FYI Japanese speakers have said the voice acting isn't special in Japanese. I recall someone saying neither is all that impressive for the voice acting. The game play itself is great though.
Why? That's... a strange question. Why not if I understand the language? I just prefer not having to use a translation when I can just read it in the language it was written in. Even modern professional translations often lose a lot of the original feel of a work (even if, in the case of SD3, that means it loses all the writing sounding like typical 'bad acting' in a TV show; at least that's how the SFC version was; maybe the remake is better in that respect, but it was honestly part of the fun in this one)

DragonScholar posted...
There is a voice toggle in the NA release, yes; plus a full Japanese language option.
That sounds good. I'll have a look if that also applies to the Steam version. Square-Enix has been really freaking awful with language switches in the past, especially for PC ports, because apparently they're afraid Japanese gamers will buy the game for cheaper abroad if Japanese is offered as a language option outside of Japan.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
4 weeks ago#6
I was just curious is all, and great to hear that's an option. There are some really weird examples of games that exclusively launched without Japanese at all on some platforms, but I don't remember which. I think some PC ports are or were region locked out of Japan even.

LBoksha
4 weeks ago#7
I know it applies to Dragon Quest 11 at least. Apparently you can hack your way around it, but I'd so much prefer if it was just an option out of the box...

User Info: Calmlander

Calmlander
4 weeks ago#8
About grinding, when I have to do it, I try to go to three rooms with lots of enemies, and go from one to another, quickly.

I cleanse room A, go to room B, which is empty, because I defeated everything there, and then wipe room C. Return to room A, rinse and repeat.

I still have to experiment with Aura Wave to make things even faster, though.
  1. Boards
  2. Seiken Densetsu 3
  3. Fastest end-game grinding?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A