• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Secret of Mana
  3. Why do people like this series?

User Info: Knight99102

Knight99102
5 months ago#1
All I ever heard about the Mana series was how amazing it was, how it's such a tragedy that it never took off the way Final Fantasy did, so on. So I got the Collection of Mana sure I was in for a real treat...

Start with Final Fantasy Adventure, moved on to this one... so far they're both ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.

The game is barely playable. Combat is way too gimmicky, with things just "happening" for no reason I can see. (Why is this rabite suddenly immune to my attacks but taking repeated hits of 1 HP from nothing?) The very first boss in the game is a god with unblockable undodgable instant-kill attacks that you only beat because Jema revives you infinitely every time you die. The camera doesn't center on the player, it moves when you come close to the edge of the screen, meaning you can't see what's coming up in front of you at all. The storyline is non-existent.

At least Final Fantasy Adventure had the excuse of being a Gameboy game so of course it was bad. What's this one's excuse, aside from Square just not giving a crap?

It's obvious Square put zero effort into these games. It's like Legend of Zelda for people who hate themselves. I don't understand why people sing this series' praises so much.
(edited 5 months ago)

User Info: kingbob808

kingbob808
5 months ago#2
k
Spoilers above
PoGo Friend Code 8822 3437 8149

User Info: Knight99102

Knight99102
5 months ago#3
Yes, you're very clever. You sure showed me. I guess you don't know why it's popular either.

But seriously, though. I mean, I know a lot of times people say "oh, this attack is undodgable" when what they mean is "it's really hard and I can't do it." But in this case it's literal. When an enemy casts a spell, the game literally stops dead in order to hit you, which also knocks you down and lets them combo you to death.

Who decided that was a good idea for an action game?

And it's not even like I did something wrong - stepped on the wrong space, or used the wrong move, or whatever. No, the game literally just stops the action cold and kills you with no recourse and no reason.

I want you to explain to me why you think that's fun.

User Info: XMI2

XMI2
5 months ago#4
Yeah the gameplay is extremely flawed in this game. Waiting for 100% and that beep in order to attack kills the action. Even so still the game becomes so easy once you gain magic, level up a bit your spells and just chain cast them on bosses.

The grind is insane you def DON'T want to max out every spell and weapon, unless you are that bored.

SD3 is just as flawed be it gameplay, and also in terms of grinding (you can beat it without grinding much but the final classes would be then useless you might not even learn all spells by the time you beat the game).

I don't really see the appeal in these games. As a kid sure I liked them but over time as I grew up my perspective changed. Poor game design overall. Nostalgia is all there is to these type of games.
(edited 5 months ago)

User Info: suchiuomizu

suchiuomizu
5 months ago#5
This might shock you but there is this thing called opinion and not everyone likes the same thing. You really don’t like the games, nothing wrong with that, but it also means we shouldn’t waste everyone’s time trying to convince you otherwise. With how much you don’t like, that pretty clearly won’t change.

User Info: M_Live

M_Live
5 months ago#6
Knight99102 posted...
The camera doesn't center on the player, it moves when you come close to the edge of the screen
This is a pet peeve of mine as well.
I think red hair is cool, and wish I was a redhead - Zikten

User Info: AriVolnutt

AriVolnutt
3 months ago#7
I'm playing Secret of Mana now and i can say this game is not gonna appeal to everyone or for people who aren't used to retro games designs, I've watched some videos of the remake and despite the game looking very cheap with the 3D models and environment, i think it's more streamlined with the combat and you might enjoy that more i haven't played it myself but i feel like people are overhating on it but who knows i could be wrong
the SNES game definitely has it's charm but unless you are okay with the clunky battle system and the annoying menu it's probably not worth it.

Also,I've played Legend of Mana and Sword of Mana(which is remake of Final Fantasy Adventure) and these games don't have the issues you listed and people say the third game blows Secret of Mana out of the water so you might enjoy those.

User Info: Argonar_Alfaran

Argonar_Alfaran
3 months ago#8
Adventures of Mana has aged poorly. I just finished the game (platinum) on den Vita and it was a very unfun experience. I played Sword of Mana many years ago and even though that game also has some problems, I had more fun with that.

But SoM imo. still holds up. The game has definitely more story than Zelda games from that era and the gameplay mechanic is so that you can't just button mash your way through.

The game has many turn based aspects, like enemies and the party automatically dodging/missing sometimes and magic auto hitting. Yes the magic system can be abused by the player, but the easy fix to that is just don't abuse it if it is unfun.

Trials is an even better game and offers a lot of replayability, which I guess was more important back in the day than it is now.

User Info: npiguitar

npiguitar
3 months ago#9

Knight99102 posted...
The game is barely playable. Combat is way too gimmicky, with things just "happening" for no reason I can see. (Why is this rabite suddenly immune to my attacks but taking repeated hits of 1 HP from nothing?)
I'm sorry you're really bad at this game and that you don't understand the combat mechanics. I'm playing through it right now, and I have none of these issues.

SMM2 Maker ID: BKN-DYW-VWG

User Info: XMI2

XMI2
3 months ago#10
Argonar_Alfaran posted...
Adventures of Mana has aged poorly. I just finished the game (platinum) on den Vita and it was a very unfun experience. I played Sword of Mana many years ago and even though that game also has some problems, I had more fun with that.

But SoM imo. still holds up. The game has definitely more story than Zelda games from that era and the gameplay mechanic is so that you can't just button mash your way through.

The game has many turn based aspects, like enemies and the party automatically dodging/missing sometimes and magic auto hitting. Yes the magic system can be abused by the player, but the easy fix to that is just don't abuse it if it is unfun.

Trials is an even better game and offers a lot of replayability, which I guess was more important back in the day than it is now.

So, only way to enjoy SoM gameplay is via artificial difficulty. That's not gameplay my friend and shows how the game hasn't aged well at all.

They did Trials remake good tho when it comes to gameplay a lot better than other mana games, sad they didn't use that opportunity for SoM remake.
  1. Boards
  2. Secret of Mana
  3. Why do people like this series?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A