You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: mitsguy2001

mitsguy2001
8 months ago#1
Would everybody here agree with the following assessment of each attack magic in the game:

Freeze: Best overall attack magic, based on damage per MP, and the fact that it is stackable, for enemies that are not resistant to Undine.

Acid Storm: Never use, since it causes less damage and uses more MP than Freeze, and its effect on defense is not worth it.

HP Absorb: Does less damage than Freeze, and doesn't stack, but it's the best spell if you need to recover HP while attacking, as long as the enemy is not resistant to Undine.

Gem Missile: Use only against enemies that are weak to Gnome. Otherwise, it causes less damage than Freeze.

Earth Slide: Never use, since it causes less damage per HP than Gem Missile

Air Blast: Use only against enemies that are weak to Sylphid, and only if you don't want or need to stack spells.

Thunderbolt: Does less damage per MP than Air Blast, but is stackable. Slightly better than Freeze against enemies that are weak to Sylphid. Use against enemies that are weakto Sylphid if you need to stack (but if your Undine level is higher, you may as well stick with freeze)

Fireball: Does the most damage per MP against enemies that are weak to Salamando (which would resist Undine), but does not stack.

Lava Wave: Does less damage per MP than Fireball, but stacks. Use either Lava Wave or Exploder against enemies that are weak to Salamando if you want to stack.

Exploder: Does less damage per MP than Firebal, but stacks. Use either Lava Wave or Exploder against enemies that are weak to Salamando if you want to stack.

Fire Bouquet: Not worth it. Does less damage per MP than the Sprite's spells, and the reduction to attack is not worth it.

Blaze Wall: Not worth it. Does less damage per MP than the Sprite's spells, and the engulf effect is not worth it.

Dark Force: Use against enemies weak to Shade. Same damage per MP as Freeze, but your Undine level is probably higher.

Evil Gate: Never use. Costs too much MP for too little damage.

Lucent Beam: Never use, since even against an enemy that fears Lumina, it does less damage per MP than Freeze. If you don't want to stack Freeze and want to defeat an enemy that is weak to Lumina as quickly as possible, then you can use this spell.

Burst: No enemies are weak to Dryad, but no enemies resist it, so this is basically non-elemental. Most powerful spell, but still does less damage per MP than Freeze. If you don't want to stack, then this will defeat enemies the fastest, unless they are weak against an element. If you do stack, then better to stick with Freeze, unless the enemy resists Undine (and is weak to Salamando), in which case you should stack Lava Wall or Exploder.

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
7 months ago#2
I think people in general worry too much about MP usage in this game. Yeah, early one, you might need to worry about it at least to make sure you can use Heal Water or whatever, but other than that, I think it's not as big a deal as people make it out to be.

It's so neat to use all the spells, except maybe evil gate. Anything based off a percentage is not a well thought out idea for a spell, at all. But all in all, Mp is not a huge deal for much of the game. Make the game interesting and use most of these spells. Unless you are stacking them or otherwise gonna use more spells than normal, I'd not even worry about MP at all unless you are literally about to die or something.

When not MP counting, most of the spells are great.
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...

User Info: DrCidd

DrCidd
7 months ago#3
Yeah, people stressing over min/maxing and meta are doing it wrong.
All the spells are great in this game. If you cast freeze for 90% of the game you're boring.
"Yeah, but it's more damage per MP"
Okay, and most enemies don't survive more than one casting anyways, unless you're counting bosses, so the argument is pretty invalid. Besides, if they do survive, just run up and whack it with whatever weapon you're carrying and that will pretty much always finish it off.
Pretending that you need to worry about how much damage a spell does is silly.
As a 7 year old kid, I made it through this game with very few problems. Spiky Tiger and Jaberwocky (and MAYBE Aegagropilon) are the only difficult bosses anyways. You'll have more fun if you DON'T abuse weaknesses and spam magic anyways. Because it makes the entire game trivial, regardless of what spell you decide to chaincast.
I used to think my brain was my favorite part of my body...Then I realized what was making me think that!

User Info: NeoSyrex

NeoSyrex
7 months ago#4
I agree with most of the analysis in the OP, good post. I did a similar analysis in my previous playthrough after many playthroughs just "winging it" with magic, and was surprised at the findings. I would add that Dark Force is in my opinion the best "neutral" spell in terms of MP efficiency because of the added spell length locking down enemies much longer than Freeze does.

TriforceSD
6 months ago#5
I was thinking of NOT using attack magic on bosses in my next run through. But do any of you have any tips on how to fight Spring Beak with weapons? I don't recall if I ever was able to hit it with weapons as I usually added magic to the mix on most bosses when possible.

Where on Spring Beak are you supposed to strike with weapons to do any actual damage??

User Info: Thard_Verad

Thard_Verad
6 months ago#6
Best bet might be to strike from above with the dart or bow. I can't specifically recall where the target spot is either, but this should give you the most chances to find it.

Or you can make an exception for Spring and Axe.
"Many in harmony surpass one in perfection." - Guildmaster, Etrian Odyssey II

User Info: Hygro

Hygro
6 months ago#7
I was playing with my buddy who kept using the Sprite, and wasn't using a lot of magic. So I got the girl's Salamando up to level 4 or 5 using fire bouquet and it worked great by level 2 or 3. Yeah it's weaker but if you're playing 2 or 3 player or want to only use underpowered spells for challenge/flavor it can start making sense.

TriforceSD
6 months ago#8
Thard_Verad posted...
Best bet might be to strike from above with the dart or bow. I can't specifically recall where the target spot is either, but this should give you the most chances to find it.

Or you can make an exception for Spring and Axe.

I may be forced to make an exception.
But then again, I never tried just using weapons.

User Info: secretspy911

secretspy911
3 months ago#9
Totally agree with TC analysis. SoM was my favorite game as a kid. It still takes a big place in my heart, but over the years I realized there are several things that makes the game less enjoyable. The obvious unbalancing of the spells making 90% of them useless. Not only attack spells but defense spells as well. In all my playthroughs, the girl only used healing water and the one that raise critical hit. All the other spells have so little actual impact they are worthless, without mentioning those which are straight up bugged (elemental sabers). For example, you're way better off keeping your MP for some healing water than cast the Gnome spell that raise defense. Well that's how I always viewed it.

User Info: marylandgamer

marylandgamer
3 months ago#10
secretspy911 posted...
Totally agree with TC analysis. SoM was my favorite game as a kid. It still takes a big place in my heart, but over the years I realized there are several things that makes the game less enjoyable. The obvious unbalancing of the spells making 90% of them useless. Not only attack spells but defense spells as well. In all my playthroughs, the girl only used healing water and the one that raise critical hit. All the other spells have so little actual impact they are worthless, without mentioning those which are straight up bugged (elemental sabers). For example, you're way better off keeping your MP for some healing water than cast the Gnome spell that raise defense. Well that's how I always viewed it.

I think this is the case with a lot of Square RPGs at the time, and it's something I've thought about. There are an endless amount of spells in FFIV and FFVI that don't have a practical use once you realize that you can end battles much faster with more powerful ones.
http://manaredux.blogspot.com