• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Secret of Mana
  3. More speculation on deleted content

User Info: AdmiralStiff

AdmiralStiff
5 years ago#11
Regrs posted...
5) There's a popup message that says "Recovery Failed!", but I can't find any way to actually trigger it.

To trigger " Recovery failed" you have to cast Undine's recovery against a high level status effect;
Just like dispel, the higher the status and the lower the recovery the more likely it will fail since all recovery does is reduce the timer on status effect, the amount of time reduced is based on undine's level and the number of targets it is being casted on

The easiest way to achieve this is by trying to remove the moogle belt glitch

http://i.imgur.com/Fi7RDifh.jpg

The moogle belt glitch sets the timer into a negative value, thus cursing your character for a long period of time

To trigger moogle belt follow these simple steps:
1)use moogle belt on a party member and wait for it to transform into a moogle
2) once the party member turns into a moogle, use the belt twice in a row

User Info: mitsguy2001

mitsguy2001
5 years ago#12
Regrs posted...
Here's a few things, deleted/dummied content wise, I've found while digging though the games code.

1) There is a dummied out status effect that appears to be a early form of Tangle. It has a status popup message and a status screen message that's also unused. It mostly works if you re-enable the status effect.

2) That unused diary entry actually has a trigger set in the game....on Turtle Island of all places. (Also, the exterior map for Turtle Island shows the turtles head, but its always out of camera range)

That makes sense, since it has always been speculated that the Turtle Island is a place where content was cut. And it makes sense, since it was a side quest. What does the diary entry say?

3) There are messages for fearing Luna and Dryad, but you'll never see them since the game will forcefully remove the weakness from anyone who has it.

I wonder why.

4) Armor is setup to provide elemental resistance, though none of them actually do.

Final Fantasy had that same problem.

5) Boss weapons can have type affinity, but again, none do. (And wouldn't work even if they did)

What does that mean?

5) There's a popup message that says "Recovery Failed!", but I can't find any way to actually trigger it.

6) Pygmy status was probably meant to wear off on it's own and be mutually exclusive with Moogle.

7) Lunar Message has an 9th effect that can never happen.

Bonus Bugs:
1) The Hit Up buff is comically broken.
2) Doom Wall's desperation attack "Cave" is actually "Cave In".

What is the Lunar Message?

What is the Hit Up buff?

User Info: Regrs

Regrs
5 years ago#13
Chemazan posted...
Regrs posted...

To trigger " Recovery failed" you have to cast Undine's recovery against a high level status effect;
Just like dispel, the higher the status and the lower the recovery the more likely it will fail since all recovery does is reduce the timer on status effect, the amount of time reduced is based on undine's level and the number of targets it is being casted on

The easiest way to achieve this is by trying to remove the moogle belt glitch

http://i.imgur.com/Fi7RDifh.jpg

The moogle belt glitch sets the timer into a negative value, thus cursing your character for a long period of time

To trigger moogle belt follow these simple steps:
1)use moogle belt on a party member and wait for it to transform into a moogle
2) once the party member turns into a moogle, use the belt twice in a row

Ah, that explains why I've never seen it before as that is pretty hard to trigger. And now I have a new bug to track down.

Also a single target Remedy >= Lv4 or a multi-target Lv8 Remedy will just remove all status effects and not bother with the spell power math to lower the timers.

Regrs
5 years ago#14
@mitsguy2001

It says this:

(Unfinished diary entry)
...My cover's been blown... Some monster's using
the Emperor's body to
(Text suddenly stops)
Randi : What does this mean?

Sounds like it belongs in Tascina, but its lumped with the other Turtle Island dialog. If you want to see it then set event flag 6F to 2 and walk into the upper right house. (Setting it to 3 will cause all the NPCs to vanish as well).

I can make a guess as to why the armor thing isn't used. The game excepts you to be weak against any element your strong against(Except for Luna & Dryad) and the game gets kinda confused if you try to resist opposite elements.

For the boss weapon thing. You know how certain weapons are "Effective Against XX"? None of those things actually work do to coding errors and the game is lying to you. The table for boss weapons contains slots for making their weapons effective against certain creature types. None of them actually have it set to anything and even if they did then it still wouldn't matter since the effective code is bugged and players don't have creature types.

Lunar Magic's 9th effect trolls you. It gives the message "MP recovered!" and then cuts Popoie's Maximum MP in half.

Hit Up is supposed to provide a 25% boost to your Hit Rate. Instead it gives a boost of (HitRate/64) or a boost of (LowStatusEffects/4) depending on whether or not you have Tangle status. (Confusion gives you a 32% hit rate boost for example).

User Info: FreshFeeling

FreshFeeling
5 years ago#15
This is fun stuff. Are these mechanics documented somewhere?
The only place I really remember seeing significant mechanics documentation for this game is the topic on TASvideos.
The feral chocobo calls with a boisterous "wark," not the domestic breed's mild "kweh."

mitsguy2001
5 years ago#16
Regrs posted...
@mitsguy2001

I can make a guess as to why the armor thing isn't used. The game excepts you to be weak against any element your strong against(Except for Luna & Dryad)

I'm not sure what you mean by that. You said "the game excepts (I assume you mean expects) you to be weak against any element your strong against". What does that mean? How can you be both strong and weak against an element at the same time?

and the game gets kinda confused if you try to resist opposite elements.

Again, what do you mean?

For the boss weapon thing. You know how certain weapons are "Effective Against XX"? None of those things actually work do to coding errors and the game is lying to you. The table for boss weapons contains slots for making their weapons effective against certain creature types. None of them actually have it set to anything and even if they did then it still wouldn't matter since the effective code is bugged and players don't have creature types.

I had posted in the past that it made no sense that the Dragon Buster is effective against dragons, but you don't get it until after all of the dragons are gone. So I guess it really isn't effective against dragons anyway.

Hit Up is supposed to provide a 25% boost to your Hit Rate. Instead it gives a boost of (HitRate/64) or a boost of (LowStatusEffects/4) depending on whether or not you have Tangle status. (Confusion gives you a 32% hit rate boost for example).

What is Hit Up?

mitsguy2001
5 years ago#17
FreshFeeling posted...
This is fun stuff. Are these mechanics documented somewhere?
The only place I really remember seeing significant mechanics documentation for this game is the topic on TASvideos.

Where is that topic? I can't find it.

User Info: FreshFeeling

FreshFeeling
5 years ago#18
The really relevant part is here: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=425&start=437

Also, heh: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/588646-secret-of-mana/41882304

I still haven't found any other mechanics resources for this game but people (like silktail) keep implying that they're somewhat known somewhere.

EDIT: This may also be useful: http://www.mediafire.com/download/y932dr95y5bwkwp/somtbl.txt
The feral chocobo calls with a boisterous "wark," not the domestic breed's mild "kweh."

Regrs
5 years ago#19
@FreshFeeling

I looked at that thread some when pulling my own algorithms from the game to compare. Some didn't match but that might just be because I'm being more literal. (Also I'm pretty sure crit rate is halved for ranged weapons, not melee). He also seems to leave out the part that Saber spells > Lv0 provide an attack boost.

@mitsguy2001

Let me try to explain (and spell) a bit better.

You cannot normally be both strong and weak against an element. My point was that elemental resistance on armor would have made that possible. If a piece of armor made you resist one element, you'd be weak to its elemental opposite.

Elementals oppose each other like so:
Gnome<>Sylphid
Undine<>Salamando
Shade<>Lumina
Luna<>Dryad

I'm going to use monsters for the rest of this example, but the calculation for armor does the same thing.

Weakness is not hard coded anywhere. Only your element. It takes your element and then does some math to find whatever your weakness should be. So for example Vampire, who's element is Shade gets stuck with a weakness to Lumina when the setup runs. Game doesn't stop at one weakness though, it runs a gambit though all 8 elementals checking them all.

So lets say for example you took a Rabite and made its element BOTH Sylphid and Gnome. This means it now resists both Sylphid & Gnome. And when the setup runs to spawn the monster the Rabite gets a weakness to....Sylphid and Gnome.

This confuses the game. If you cast spells on it it will indeed resist both Sylphid & Gnome(As resistance is checked before weakness when calculating damage) but if you cast Analyzer on it, it will tell you that your Rabite fears both Sylphid & Gnome.

Here's some more armor weirdness for you:
1) Due to a bug no armor can grant a bonus to Wisdom. (Off the top of my head the Unicorn Helm should)
2) All stat boosts from armor are +5. Though at some point armor was supposed to give stat downs. There's a global flag that you can set to cause all armor to give a -2 penalty instead of a +5 boost.
3) Armor can give different bonuses to Evasion and Magic Evasion, but they're all set to the same value. All helmets give 23 Evade & Magic Evade. All armor gives 37 Evade and 15 Magic Evade. All accessories give 15 Evade and 37 Magic Evade.

Hit Up is a buff caused by the Gnome spell Speed Up.

Also if your curious, type effective weapons are supposed to do double damage to the creatures they're targeted at and half damage to their opposites.

User Info: silktail

silktail
5 years ago#20
FreshFeeling posted...
EDIT: This may also be useful: http://www.mediafire.com/download/y932dr95y5bwkwp/somtbl.txt

Hmm... It looks like the levels for enemies are 1 higher than numbers Zach Keene provided long ago.
His version of the weapon-exp gained used his values, which means 2 levels higher for half exp (instead of 1 higher).

I guess that means you just have to watch out if a site is using Zach's levels instead.

Otherwise do you think the "Stop" protection on the Faerie's Ring is just a mix of other status effects?

(I've seen people claim it prevents things like petrify, frosty, & balloon. All of which do stop you from moving.)
---
  1. Boards
  2. Secret of Mana
  3. More speculation on deleted content
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers