• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Secret of Evermore
  3. Starting this game for the first time!

User Info: black_sliver

black_sliver
2 months ago#11
zoogelio posted...
Besides the above mentions, sometimes NPCs that teach alchemy spells never show up or take a lot of tries to get to appear (the Sting spell oasis guy for example).

Hm.. Sting guy is always there if you don't have Sting. Just need to visit the right oasis.

Others can fill in any I'm missing, but the ones that come to mind are:
* Each of the 2 visits to the Pyramid having something halting progress. A sequence of sinking stone bridges that can lead to an unpassable situation or a gate that just won't ever open (event flag never gets put up).

Just don't use wings in the pyramid and don't leave dungeons while animations are happening.

* Flying in either vehicle and sometimes the landing sequence has no vehicle... or was it some sequence of actions that causes a landed vehicle to vanish?

There are some invisible landing spots that are glitched. Just don't try to land anywhere that does not have a torch / red square.

(not sure if there were reports of trouble at the Hall of Colossia or not).

If you save and load at Madronius' brother in the North East room and you don't have wings, you are softlocked.

The return to the Pyramid was the one that got me, but that was a blind trap (an event flag never gets raised).

Afaik this only happens if you leave the room while the levitation animation is happening.

The Mungola save game option is easily avoided because it comes off as really creepy when it appears.

This is either you using glitches (8-casting while an enemy also casts) or casting on an invalid enemy (I don't think anyone ever figured out why this invalid enemy is targettable sometimes).
There are other things that can happen that crash the game immediately, also at other bosses :D

My main issue with the game is how many missable spells there are, some of which are very well hidden (Speed), easy to permanently lock yourself out of due to typical gameplaying habits being punished (Lance) or randomly not showing up (Sting). Likewise some armor (need a guide to be able to get all the different armor pieces in Antiqua and have a strict time limit as some trades must be made before the market clears for the gladiatorial show).

Missable spells are not the best (Lance is weak, Sting is not that much better than Crush, Speed has limited use, Fireball is not better than Crush but costs more, only Fire Power makes me sad, but that is way too expensive to grind it beyond Crush anyway).
Trading sequence can be continued after defeating the fight.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Kirby58

Kirby58
2 months ago#12
zoogelio posted...
Backup saves are essential. On the SNES, on the first 3 playthroughs, I encountered a few save file-halting glitches. 2 of them I was able to reset around but one forced me to start over from scratch. It's a fun game, but a fairly flawed one. Besides the above mentions, sometimes NPCs that teach alchemy spells never show up or take a lot of tries to get to appear (the Sting spell oasis guy for example).

Others can fill in any I'm missing, but the ones that come to mind are:
* Each of the 2 visits to the Pyramid having something halting progress. A sequence of sinking stone bridges that can lead to an unpassable situation or a gate that just won't ever open (event flag never gets put up).
* A save game option popping up in the middle of a boss fight. This is a very weird glitch and saving there wrecks the file and might even corrupt the game itself IIRC. Fortunately it's easy to avoid accepting because it flies in the face of all gaming conventions.
* Flying in either vehicle and sometimes the landing sequence has no vehicle... or was it some sequence of actions that causes a landed vehicle to vanish?

Thanks for posting this. I'll definitely be careful in the Pyramid, and sounds like I should always carry some wings!
Stay away from urinals; that's where all the dicks hang out.

User Info: Goldninja

Goldninja
1 month ago#13
I played this back in the day on the Snes. I guess I lucked out because I didn't experience any game breaking glitches when I played it through a bunch of times. It was only later that I read about these.
FFBE Username: Ultima

User Info: AdmiralStiff

AdmiralStiff
1 month ago#14
There is a dungeon where you open gates and enemies come out

The last gate you open becomes the exit, however, one of the northern gates is glitched, halting your progress entirely.

Make sure you leave a southern one for last
You may block me, report me even
but you can't unsmell my ass

User Info: MsRenndilya

MsRenndilya
1 month ago#15
Wow I am not playing this with all these programming errors. It makes this game sound harder than Adventure of Link. At least that game is hard but doesn't have progress glitches.
the glitches are honestly not bad at all. I’ve played this game so many times and have never had an issue before. It is a gem from the snes golden years. All games have glitches, don’t let that stop you from playing this.

also about all the missable things, hidden items, and secrets. It adds so much replay value. Even after 10-15 times through this game I still discover new things.
Join us as we do group playthroughs for classic games! http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1145-retro-revival

User Info: zoogelio

zoogelio
4 weeks ago#17
AdmiralStiff posted...
There is a dungeon where you open gates and enemies come out

The last gate you open becomes the exit, however, one of the northern gates is glitched, halting your progress entirely.

Make sure you leave a southern one for last

Ebon Castle Dungeon:

Here's a map marking the door to avoid opening last:
https://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/SecretOfEvermore-Gothica-EbonKeep-Dungeon.png

User Info: carlde21

carlde21
2 days ago#18
MasterKnight75 posted...
Neat. Secret of Evermore actually ages well too, such that even the permanent missables, some of which are Guide Dang Its, actually strengthen the selling points, though there are a few softlock glitches around, so backup saving would be a good idea.

Let me know when you have questions.
I've played and beaten this game several times and never encountered anything resembling a glitch that would require a reset and loss of progress..

User Info: Phagmamania

Phagmamania
2 days ago#19
I feel you! This is one of my favorite games!

I never finished it because of my OCD. What happens is that I always grind like a madman in the beginning and then I exhaust myself and/or lose interest. For example, I was at level 52 in the volcano and had 720,000 talons before taking the magmar boss. Turned out I didn't need that money lol.

Sadly my battery got wiped and now I'm playing Ps2 RPG's instead.

The greatest things about Secret of Evermore is this:

1. Multiple currencies. However, the game is too short, the world is too small and there are too few shops to fully take advantage of this system. But it's a brilliant idea and can really help make a role playing game more epic. I would also add a exchange fee for trading currencies.
  2. The Nobilia Bazaar. It's such a wonderful concept and how beautifully executed it was. And then, it could have been even larger.You could take this one step further and create a system where you have tradeable charms in several towns throughout every region and then go back and forth between those and trade stuff.
  3. Jeremy Soule!!! Also: The clever concept of not having music in every area, just the sound of waves and wind and occasional animal chants.
  4. Comma between numbers (even many modern games fails to do this). Example: 1,000,000 Talons instead of 1000000 talons. Makes it a lot easier to read.
Secret of Evermore is a flawed game, but it brought some really nice and interesting concepts which are yet to be utilised in modern RPG's. Programmers should always study Secret of Evermore in preparation for creating a new RPG imo.
Phagmamania posted...
I feel you! This is one of my favorite games!

I never finished it because of my OCD. What happens is that I always grind like a madman in the beginning and then I exhaust myself and/or lose interest. For example, I was at level 52 in the volcano and had 720,000 talons before taking the magmar boss. Turned out I didn't need that money lol.

Sadly my battery got wiped and now I'm playing Ps2 RPG's instead.

The greatest things about Secret of Evermore is this:

1. Multiple currencies. However, the game is too short, the world is too small and there are too few shops to fully take advantage of this system. But it's a brilliant idea and can really help make a role playing game more epic. I would also add a exchange fee for trading currencies.
2. The Nobilia Bazaar. It's such a wonderful concept and how beautifully executed it was. And then, it could have been even larger.You could take this one step further and create a system where you have tradeable charms in several towns throughout every region and then go back and forth between those and trade stuff.
3. Jeremy Soule!!! Also: The clever concept of not having music in every area, just the sound of waves and wind and occasional animal chants.
4. Comma between numbers (even many modern games fails to do this). Example: 1,000,000 Talons instead of 1000000 talons. Makes it a lot easier to read.
Secret of Evermore is a flawed game, but it brought some really nice and interesting concepts which are yet to be utilised in modern RPG's. Programmers should always study Secret of Evermore in preparation for creating a new RPG imo.
In other words, TLC.

I just don't get why people like RoahmMythril want to be glass half-empty about the game. It ages VERY nicely as I punctuate in the comment thread here (MAJOR spoilers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-ij9I7B2EI&list=PLO2o0_k4kOrwyc46vJ98GxaKJIGzw4HUj&index=41

And yes, Secret of Evermore provides inspiration to me and what I'm wanting to make is a sort of Spiritual Successor to Battalion Wars. That's what happens when the gameplay itself has hallmarks of encouraging back-to-back with the computer controlled partner. A game that ultimately impresses me 25 years after its initial release is absolutely doing something right.
Master Knight DH at your service.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterKnightDH
  1. Boards
  2. Secret of Evermore
  3. Starting this game for the first time!
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A