• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Secret of Evermore
  3. Does the Defend alchemy formula have any practical usage?

User Info: slavelabor53

slavelabor53
11 months ago#1
As far as I see it, Defend really only has any possible utility in Prehistoria. Once you get Speed in the caves near the end of the first world it completely outclasses Defend after a few levels. After all what good is defense if your evasion is 100%. Even then, I tried it out and didn't see much of a damage reduction at all against the various baddies of the prehistoric land. Once you leave Prehistoria it gets even worse because it competes with Hard Ball for clay which isn't available for purchase anywhere in Antiqua. Then you learn barrier which is also better than defend with an additional heal bonus to boot.

User Info: MasterKnight75

MasterKnight75
11 months ago#2
In Defend's defense, its competition for ingredient usage is nothing incredible, whereas Speed uses Water, and 2 parts at that. It might work as a niche choice for Dark Forest and Gomi's Tower, since the damage cut can still prevent enough damage anyway. The Clay requirement does still suck though.
Master Knight DH at your service.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterKnightDH

slavelabor53
11 months ago#3
lol I was just reading elsewhere that apparently there is a way to make defend useful although it involves taking advantage of a save and reset glitch. If you unequip all of your armor and cast defend then save your game and reset, when you reload the game you'll keep a huge defense boost even after defend wears off. Although I did not test this.

MasterKnight75
11 months ago#4
slavelabor53 posted...
lol I was just reading elsewhere that apparently there is a way to make defend useful although it involves taking advantage of a save and reset glitch. If you unequip all of your armor and cast defend then save your game and reset, when you reload the game you'll keep a huge defense boost even after defend wears off. Although I did not test this.
What happens with the glitch you're thinking of is that the statuses are saved, but NOT any stat changing boosts themselves, so when a save-maintained Atlas/Defend/Speed buff wears off after a reload, the stat drops, and the reason for the potential jump happening instead is because the game doesn't account for underflow, not having a reason to. The way Physical DEF is handled in its usage, that the most significant bit (to indicate a number as negative when signed) would become active from the underflow is irrelevant and thus what the game involves with the glitch is, for all intents and purposes, flat invincibility to physical attacks.

slavelabor53
10 months ago#5
Ahh so that's why you have to unequip the armor first because otherwise when the stat boost wears off you might possibly have a high enough value that it wouldn't trigger the underflow glitch correct?

MasterKnight75
10 months ago#6
slavelabor53 posted...
Ahh so that's why you have to unequip the armor first because otherwise when the stat boost wears off you might possibly have a high enough value that it wouldn't trigger the underflow glitch correct?
That's correct.
  1. Boards
  2. Secret of Evermore
  3. Does the Defend alchemy formula have any practical usage?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A