• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Secret of Evermore
  3. The SoE gameplay fix proyect

User Info: ninakoru

ninakoru
10 years ago#1
Hi all,

I decided to make hack and make a IPS patch for Secret of Evermore US (and maybe other languages if I am able to) ROM, a game with so much potential in the gameplay exprecience.

There are some major issues I am trying to deal with, and are the following:

1 - Difficulty curve is totally broken. The game seems quite challenging at the beginning, being more and more easy as you advance into the game, with some exceptions (verminator.. ugh)

Solution: Tweaking monsters stats (HP, Attack, Defense...) and spell damage. The first one is easy, as someone already found the data bank witch include those monster stats, that one only need time and testing, but i have no idea where I can change enemy spell damage.

2 - The difference between normal damage and level 3 damage is so huge that you better off going with a level 3 bonechusher than a level 0 ultimate sword.

Solution: Changing damage formulae for boy's normal weapons and dog attack. The damage is something like:

Lvl 1: 1 x BaseDamage
Lvl 2: 2 x BaseDamage
Lvl 3: 3 x BaseDamage.

As this damage then is factored against enemy Defense, you can be making 100 - 80: 20 damage with normal attacks, and 300 - 80: 220 damage with a powered lvl 3 attack. I consider that completely broken.

My idea is to make the following formula:

Lvl 1: 1 x BaseDamage
Lvl 2: 1.5 x BaseDamage
Lvl 3: 2 x BaseDamage

I have no idea where to change this, I were looking at assassin17's Silver Sheath fix patch explains the damage formula, but I am not able to get into those modifiers.

3- Changing Dog defense stat growth, as is again, totally broken. The dog speed that stat at such pace, that after a few levels he is so ahead in defense, that he's inmune to enemy normal attacks, and that's not the way it should be. The dog is more physical oriented than the boy, and as such he should have higher defense, bot not being an indestructible wall...

Solution: Editing stat growth and lowering 1-2 points of defense to the dog.

Again, I have no idea where to change this, I were looking at assassin17's Erratic levelling fix patch shows where the game calls to the new level stats, but i am not able to get into those records into the ROM.

4- One big issue about the game, is that once you get a new sword/ axe / spear, you have to level it up from scratch, and you end not bothering with it, you have to gring centenars of enemies to keep those weapons powerful, and then, you get a new sword to repeat the process... crazy.

Solution: Leveling all weapons of the same type as you level one of them.

If i am with a weapon, say stone spear, every 4 experience the lance gets, I want the other spears get 1 experience point even if i still don't have them. It can be done with a 1/4 random chance to get experience, or with a formula like experience mod 4 = 0

Again, no idea how i will do this

5- We have the same problem with alchemy spells, you get a new one, and you must level it from scratch.

Solution: internally group spells in 4-5 big groups (elemental attack spells, physical attack spells, stat boost spells, etc) and again every 4 esperience i get into a spell i should get one point in the onther in the same group, even if you don't know that spell.

As you guessed, no idea in how to deal with this.

To end this, I must say I am completely new to ROM hacking, and I am starting to learn how this works. I am a high level programmer, so that helps a bit, and I handle hex quite well, I read ASM SNES specific language instructions (opcodes), a few tutorials, but I am very far to understand how the game and the SNES console works.

Finally if someone if fond of this proyect and has experience in ROM hacking, any help with the dealing issues or to what tutorials/guides I should follow to learn myself, would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks and regards

User Info: Deathrael

Deathrael
10 years ago#2
good luck!

User Info: davidvinc

davidvinc
10 years ago#3
I really like these ideas, I would say to go to romhacking.net and read up on the documents they have there in the newbie board and ask some of the helpful members there.

ninakoru
10 years ago#4
3- Changing Dog defense stat growth, as is again, totally broken.

Got the solution. Got some nice offsets :)

------------
Memory data.
------------

0A35 = 7F0A35 RAM

0A35 Boy's HP
0A3f Boy's Attack
0A41 Boy's Defend
0A43 Boy's Magic Def
0A45 Boy's Evade
0A47 Boy's Hit
0A49 Boy's Experience
0A50 Boy's level

4EB3 Boy's current HP

0A7F Dog's HP
0A89 Dog's Attack
0A8B Dog's Defend
0A8D Dog's Magic Def
0A8F Dog's Evade
0A91 Dog's Hit
0A93 Dog's Experience
0A9A Dog's level

0AC6-8 Coins1
0AC9-B Coins2
0ACC-E Coins3
0ACF-D1 Coins4

---------------------
ROM data (no header)
---------------------

8c8e29 = 000c8e29

Boy's Total exp needed:
------------------------
000C8BD3-5: Total exp for level 2
000C8BD6-8: Total exp for level 3

Dog's Total exp needed:
------------------------
000C8CFF-D01: Total exp for level 2
000C8D02-4: Total exp for level 3

Boy's Stats
------------
000C919F-A0: HP for level 1
000C91A1-A2: HP for level 2
000C927D-E: Defend for level 1
000C927F-80: Defend for level 2
000C935D-E: Attack for level 1
000C935F-60: Attack for level 2
000C9439-A: Magic Def for level 1
000C943B-C: Magic Def for level 2
000C8F05-6: Hit Def for level 1
000C8F07-8: Hit Def for level 2
000C8E27-8: Evade for level 1
000C8E29-A: Evade for level 2

Dog's Stats
------------
000C9517-8: HP for level 1
000C9519-A: HP for level 2
000C95F5-6: Defend for level 1
000C95F7-8: Defend for level 2
000C96D3-6: Attack for level 1
000C96D5-6: Attack for level 2
000C97B1-2: Magic Def for level 1
000C97B3-4: Magic Def for level 2
000C90C1-2: Hit for level 1
000C90C3-4: Hit for level 2
000C8FE3-4: Evade for level 1
000C8FE5-6: Evade for level 2

¡To be continued!
I am the name for the dead beings - St. Eva

User Info: Skygor_II

Skygor_II
10 years ago#5
There is already a patch to fix the dogs stats and some other things:

http://www14.brinkster.com/assassin17/soe_patches.htm

ninakoru
10 years ago#6
Nope, there's not a patch with this issues solved. That patch you say solves a bug that mess with dog level-up.

Those patches, and the multiplayer patch are all the know SoE patches I know of.

ninakoru
10 years ago#7
Just for the record, here's my progress on this project.

1 - Difficulty curve: Got the offsets.

2 - Edit charged damage: Pending

3 - Adjust Stats gains (dog def mainly): Got the offsets.

4 - Shared weapon leveling: Function Done & Tested.

5 - Group & Shared alch spells leveling: Pending (next to work with!)

User Info: Swiftcrack14

Swiftcrack14
10 years ago#8
The alchemy change is extremely interesting.

User Info: Earthbound_X

Earthbound_X
9 years ago#9
Interesting, can't believe someone marked my topic for mod for spamming, I wasn't hurting anyone.
Doing a Let's play of sorts of Secret of Evermore at http://www.gamerdna.com/game/secret-of-evermore-super-nintendo-entertainment-system Feel free to follow me.

User Info: Earthbound_X

Earthbound_X
9 years ago#10
How far do you think your in percentage wise?
Doing a Let's play of sorts of Secret of Evermore at http://www.gamerdna.com/game/secret-of-evermore-super-nintendo-entertainment-system Feel free to follow me.
  1. Boards
  2. Secret of Evermore
  3. The SoE gameplay fix proyect
  • Topic Archived