• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Romancing SaGa 3
  3. Can anyone tell me what improvements RS3 made over RS2?

User Info: WoIverine

WoIverine
2 months ago#1
Apparently life points are recoverable, so that alone is a plus. Lol.
SNIKT!

User Info: NessEggman

NessEggman
2 months ago#2
The two games are pretty different, so it's hard to really decide if some things are improvements or just changes, and some things you may consider 'worse,' but here's some things that I feel are notable differences off the top of my head:

- There's no 'emperor' system so you have the same main character the entire time. This makes a lot of things different.
- Can dismiss and recruit party members at will.
- You learn new formations immediately upon recruiting a character who knows it.
- Arts are glimmered and then mastered through use in combat. Once an art is mastered, anyone in the party can equip it at any time. You can change which arts are equipped easily from the status menu.
- LP is recovered every time you stay at an inn. But you don't get 'replacement' recruits through generations.
- You can recruit 5 additional characters instead of 4, and you can put your main character in the 'bench' position to activate a 'commander mode' system which plays differently than normal battle and activates combos and mixed magic, but doesn't allow you to control the party directly.
- There are some minigames now. There's a 'mass combat' system where you command an entire army against another, and a commerce minigame where you negotiate to buy companies.
- All party members are unique characters instead of generic classes. They all have their own little bit of background story.
- Doesn't cost money to research new weapons/armor, but sometimes will require you find specific materials.
- All magic except the 'ultimate' art for each school is available right away; you just need to find the merchants who sell them.
- Once you learn of a place, that section of the world map is opened permanently. Don't need to add stuff to the empire.
- I don't remember if this was a thing in RSG2 (I was even just playing it yesterday lol) but there is an elemental field system where if enough of an element is used in battle the field will shift toward that type of field which will grant various effects.
- Your choices don't affect stuff nearly as much so it's much harder to screw yourself out of something and events pretty much play out the same every playthrough. The differences are much more minor it seems.
http://thaao.net/playdiaries/ --- SSLPs of SaGa, Rockman, Harvest Moon, Tokimeki Memorial, and more

User Info: Tenchi UK

Tenchi UK
2 months ago#3
NessEggman posted...
Your choices don't affect stuff nearly as much so it's much harder to screw yourself out of something and events pretty much play out the same every playthrough. The differences are much more minor it seems.

i remember getting really lucky with a certain event in 2 and ended up with the "best" outcome., it was only after playing newgame+ i realized how easy it was to mess said event up.

some of the other mentioned changes do make the game sound somewhat more forgiving than 2 (though generations did help take the edge off, knowing that i could just take the party wipe and go for it again with a fresh team)

the fact that it was hard to recover LP was also part of what made 2 particularly tense in that things could easily go south even in normal battles (a character being KOd then repeatedly hit while down for example) just wondered if there is any catch to having your LP restored via inns.
Pear into Peaches!

WoIverine
2 months ago#4
@NessEggman

Honestly that all sounds phenomenal to me. This sounds like the experience I was hoping for with RS2. Lol.
SNIKT!

WoIverine
2 months ago#5
Tenchi UK posted...
NessEggman posted...
Your choices don't affect stuff nearly as much so it's much harder to screw yourself out of something and events pretty much play out the same every playthrough. The differences are much more minor it seems.

i remember getting really lucky with a certain event in 2 and ended up with the "best" outcome., it was only after playing newgame+ i realized how easy it was to mess said event up.

some of the other mentioned changes do make the game sound somewhat more forgiving than 2 (though generations did help take the edge off, knowing that i could just take the party wipe and go for it again with a fresh team)

the fact that it was hard to recover LP was also part of what made 2 particularly tense in that things could easily go south even in normal battles (a character being KOd then repeatedly hit while down for example) just wondered if there is any catch to having your LP restored via inns.
Ugh yes. I recently had a dude take my monk from 11 LP to 0, just cuz he kept alternating between wailing on Monk’s corpse and my healer.
SNIKT!

User Info: xenosaga123

xenosaga123
2 months ago#6
RS3's main characters system resembles Romancing SaGa 1, which pioneered the 8 main characters selection system that even Octopath Traveler is inspired by.

though the original Romancing SaGa , is still the only one of the 3 RS games that fully features 6 member battle party.

in RS3, it seems its either a commandable party of 5, or the leader as the "6th" member acts as the commander in a mode with less direct control over the party members. which is weird. I dunno why they dumbed down the 6 member party cap RS1 introduced. even Suikoden for is first 3 games (and 5th) maintained its 6 member battle party format.

but 5 is still better than 4. and technically it appears in the RS3 status menu, there can be up to 6 members that can travel together.

though what happens if like in commander mode, 5 members are wiped out in the battle, but the leader survives since technically they aren't on the front lines?

User Info: Tenchi UK

Tenchi UK
2 months ago#7
WoIverine posted...
Ugh yes. I recently had a dude take my monk from 11 LP to 0, just cuz he kept alternating between wailing on Monk’s corpse and my healer.

ouch.

its moments like this why i am glad that there is an option to save anywhere.

i imagine this one will have a newgame+ added too, though like with RS2 im going to go with my "no newgame+ until the game is beaten" rule.

though the lack of variables compared to 2 does sound somewhat dissapointing considering i will still finding new stuff across multiple playthroughs of 2.
Pear into Peaches!

User Info: NessEggman

NessEggman
2 months ago#8
xenosaga123 posted...
though what happens if like in commander mode, 5 members are wiped out in the battle, but the leader survives since technically they aren't on the front lines?

Can't remember if this ever happened to me but I think it's just a game over XD
http://thaao.net/playdiaries/ --- SSLPs of SaGa, Rockman, Harvest Moon, Tokimeki Memorial, and more
Dark RPG Wizard 06 2 months ago#9
NessEggman posted...
xenosaga123 posted...

Can't remember if this ever happened to me but I think it's just a game over XD

It's a game over. Dying in battle is dying in battle.
*Casts Doom on everything* You all must now feel the pain that I have felt...DIE!

User Info: killerb255

killerb255
1 month ago#10
Dark RPG Wizard 06 posted...
It's a game over. Dying in battle is dying in battle.

Even more awkward in SaGa Frontier when there are 10 bench warmers as opposed to just 1.
  1. Boards
  2. Romancing SaGa 3
  3. Can anyone tell me what improvements RS3 made over RS2?
  • Topic Archived