Maximum Snowman!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Romancing SaGa 3
  3. Maximum Snowman!

User Info: Serenitys_Cat

Serenitys_Cat
1 year ago#1
Hey everyone! I may start playing this game in the near future, because I recently finished a somewhat bare-bones LP that got me quite interested in it. I can say for certain that the character I am most looking forward to using is the Snowman!! HE'S SO CUTE!!!!

However, before I start, I was hoping I could get some tips on how to use him. I can see from his stats that he's very tanky; however, his offense is obviously lacking. I would like to make him into "Snowman, Destroyer of Worlds" capable of enormous damage output if possible (because that would be hilarious,) but if that's not realistic, then how do I make him into the best support-tank he can be instead?
My Gungnir FAQ, my magnum opus:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/622913-gungnir/faqs/68571

User Info: NessEggman

NessEggman
1 year ago#2
Base stats, for the most part, aren't too deterministic in this game, so as long as you're willing to put the effort into raising proficiency levels, you'll be fine. So don't worry about his low Magic and Strength stat, because what really matters is his proficiencies. You'll be able to dish out plenty of pain with Thunderclap as long as you keep raising his Genbu Level, and he has huge growth rate in it, so you'll be able to do it fairly easily.

Genbu Jutsu are largely support-based, though, so he'll also be able to help out the rest of the party pretty well. You'll learn to love Water Ball quite a bit if you haven't already ;) I've found that sticking to a party focused around one or two magic schools is helpful since you can better take advantage of the elemental fields as you need to, so forming a Genbu-based party would be good. Undine, Tiberius, and Boston are great candidates for this. Boston and Snowman both regen HP when elemental field is Water so they work well together for that. Use Genbu formation for even more HP regen :) I don't know if the regen effect of Water Ball stacks with their innate elemental field regen, though. I can't remember.

For secondary Jutsu, go for Moon solely for Shadow Servant. Getting two Thunderclaps per turn is going to be wild; you just have to make sure to use it in cases where he won't get hit right away. In battles you want to use it, keep him protected with Water Ball and give him the best blocking equipment you can find. (He can also use Shield Rush better than most). If you're wanting to go for the biggest damage output, Shadow Servant + Thunderclap is the way to go.

For weapons, his Bludgeoning growth rate is actually stronger than his Martial growth rate, so try giving him an axe, club, or staff to make him more powerful earlier. If you're willing to put in the effort, raising his Piercing level high and using Imprison (foil waza) could be good, too. You could always work on raising it if his bludgeoning and Genbu reach a plateau while you wait for stronger enemies to appear.

But it's been a long time since I've played/used him so I don't remember if he can actually equip weapons or not.

If you're really going to powergrind, after raising all of his weapon proficiencies, abilities that only cause status effects (no damage) will be good for him. Stuff like Thumbing and Imprison. You can always go the martial arts route if you don't want to (or can't) use weapons with him anyway, and you'll have access to Thumbing more easily. He's the 2nd best at these kinds of moves in the game.
http://thaao.net
Current diaries: UNLIMITED:Saga, SaGa SCARLET GRACE, Tokimeki Memorial 3, Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta

User Info: _davidovitch_

_davidovitch_
1 year ago#3
I think I remember reading that Martial Arts attacks that are throws use CON to calculate damage?
If that is true Snowman could do some decent damage with some of the throw techs like Giant Swing or Niagara Buster. I never tried it myself though.

NessEggman
1 year ago#4
Throw damage incorporates the enemy's con but I don't think it uses the user's. But it also doesn't use the user's strength, either, so it's mostly based on your martial arts level. (Just going by what's in the damage formula faq; I forgot throws even had their own formula XD)

Meaning that Snowman would be pretty well off on Martial with all the throw waza and Thumbing.

Now I kinda wanna play through again to use him XD I was going to do an all non-human run next so he was gonna be in there anyway :)
Current diaries: UNLIMITED:Saga, SaGa SCARLET GRACE, Tokimeki Memorial 3, Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta

Serenitys_Cat
1 year ago#5
Splendid!! Thank you for the quick responses!!

Thunderclap + Shadow Servant is his best damage output? Really? I'm surprised! I have read that magic in this game is quite bad at DPS and that Water magic is particularly low-damage. I'd be very happy if that was the case, though!! I'm a mega-magic fan in basically all games, so that would be very much up my alley if it's the case.

I'm also surprised that focusing on one or two magic elements is the way to go! Boosting the field element makes sense, though. Does that also increase the damage of that element's magic, or is it just for the regen purpose? Again, I'd be quite happy to follow this advice, seeing as Undine is another of the characters I'm already very attached to. I think she might have my favorite character art in the game :D

Using throws with him also sounds amusing and potent! If I'm remembering correctly, isn't there also a Fist skill that uses Will to calculate damage? I feel like I read that somewhere. Considering his high Will and Fist growth, that might also be a good idea, yes?

A few other questions, if I may...

1) Is it a better idea for Undine to stick with Water magic due to high growth rate, or switch to Earth magic for Super Gravity and her (bugged) pseudo-crown effect on it?

2) Is it a better idea to give Undine a DEX-based weapon (Bow or Epee, IIRC) or to build her a Magic Crown?

3) While trawling these forums, I see the user Destruction Angel linking to a file that has all the learning types in it rather frequently, but the link no longer seems to work. Does anyone have that file, by chance? I would really love to see it.

NessEggman
1 year ago#6
Maybe some of the throws will eventually surpass it, but Thunderclap is pretty strong, even just using it on a single enemy. For the most part, magic seems to be largely support-focused in this game, but Thunderclap is one of the best dps jutsu in the game afaik. It's expensive (both in money cost and JP cost) and the rest of Genbu is focused on support, so I think it often goes underappreciated.

Yeah, focusing on only a couple elemental schools is something I only really realized recently. It's okay to keep a couple others around for situational use (like needing to exploit a weakness, or using Nap or something) but for longer battles, keeping an elemental field is extremely helpful, especially if you need to play on the defensive. Dancing Leaf and Water Ball's evade + regen is way too helpful against physical enemies.

Though it's really a matter of play style; focusing on elemental field and stuff is way more useful if you're planning to do a heavily magic-focused party. If you're not, maintaining the elemental field will usually be a bit too difficult to be useful. Magic is actually really nice in this game, it's just that unless you're using it constantly, it will grow slower than weapons. But if you think you'll have like... 3 casters per turn at least, it's the way to go. If you're just going to keep magic around for utility, a variety in your available jutsu is going to be better, probably.

I don't know as deeply about this game as some other people so I may be missing out on some really powerful weapon stuff, IDK.

For the questions:

1. It's really just personal preference and what kind of synergy you want to have in your party IMO. I like going the Genbu route just because it 'feels right' XD

2. It depends on how early you get her and again her utility in the party. It's been a while since I recruited her so I don't remember what her WP is like when you get her, but afaik almost every character comes with too high of WP by the time you're able to recruit them to even get the crown anyway. The only character I've ever gotten it on personally is heroine!Monica. I love bows and foils though so I find them hard to resist.

3. https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqR3cgz1EEd_qWc5US9JcU6yx8AA <-- I have the learn sheet in a public OneDrive here; it should be the only document in the top 'public stuff' directory

Serenitys_Cat
1 year ago#7
EXCELLENT!! I have been looking for that sheet! Thank you so much! This answers so many questions :)

Research seemed to indicate that Super Gravity is the only spell worth using for damage, so I had not thought that options like Thunderclap or Tornado were on the table. As I said, I am a big fan of magic, so I'm certainly interested in trying out such a strategy.

I think I may avoid crowns, though, from your statements regarding them. Trying out a variety of options sounds like a preferable strategy my first time playing, so I will probably hybridize characters to some degree rather than gunning for crowns.

Hmm, bow or epee for Undine, what to do with Sarah... and who to fill the last two slots? Choices, choices....

NessEggman
1 year ago#8
Tornado and Thunderclap are both nice, I utilize them quite a bit. I've defeated the Water Dragon (in Waterfall Cave) very early in the game by spamming Tornado (and Dancing Leaf). Though you can also do it pretty early with Thunderclap. Most people like to leave the dragon to abuse running for glimmers, but if you're mostly focused on magic, getting the early Beast Leather without having to rely on drops is nice.

Magic arts in this game are similar to those in UNLIMITED:Saga -- if you're focusing on weapon arts, they're going to end up overshadowing the magic arts. But if you're focusing on magic arts, you find that they can be very useful and interesting and make for quite a different play experience. Don't forget to try out Commander Mode's mixed magic, too!

I always go Bow+Seiryu with Sarah. IDK why, but it just 'fits' her somehow XD Are you going to be doing Sarah as your protag? My plan for my next game was Sarah with all the 'creature' characters (Boston, Fairy, Elephant, and Snowman).

BTW, if you like status/support stuff, characters with high speed and ... will (?) using Nap is a lot of fun XD In my current game (which I haven't played in like a year lmao) Trucks puts entire hoards of enemies to sleep every turn; it's great XD

Serenitys_Cat
1 year ago#9
I'm quite looking forward to Commander Mode's mixed magic! It's one of the reasons Sarah finally won out as my MC choice over Thomas, Monica, or Katrina. The other reason is that the plot feels most like "her" story. And since I've read the LP I mentioned before (where Katrina was the main, for the record,) I'm already aware of the events that could become a nasty surprise for a blind player who starts with Sarah, and I feel like they would make the playthrough more interesting.

In case anyone was curious, this is the LP in question:
https://lparchive.org/Romancing-SaGa-3/

I was thinking for Sarah I might pick Epee as my starting weapon to get Learning Type 11, then use her to spark as many Waza as possible on lots of different weapons before the lategame and pass them around the party. Her Fire magic apparently grows the fastest, so I was going to give her that, but that was before I knew using lots of the same magic type was advantageous, so I may change my mind there still XD

I do like status/support-y stuff! The game in my signature, Gungnir, is one of my favorite games ever, and one of the many reasons for that is the interesting status effects it has and the weird strategies you can build around them. Things like Gravity (reduces enemy JUMP,) Sacrifice (anyone who attacks the afflicted target gets healed,) and Scapegoat (any damage dealt to the afflicted target's allies is dealt to the target instead).

User Info: _davidovitch_

_davidovitch_
1 year ago#10
On my first playthrough I used all four different magic types in my party. It's not that much of a problem that you should avoid it IMO.
If you like status effects you'll love spells like Water Ball, Dancing Leaf, Reviver, Self Burning and perhaps Berserk. So you may want to use different magic types on different characters just for having a variety of spells at you disposal.

I never played the game (much) with Sarah as a main but there are some special commander mode combination spells that require different magic types on different characters as well.
  1. Boards
  2. Romancing SaGa 3
  3. Maximum Snowman!
  • Topic Archived