You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Romancing SaGa 3
  3. Damage Formulas Return!

User Info: Zach Keene

Zach Keene
14 years ago#1
From: Alex Jackson | Posted: 6/23/2004 11:07:37 PM | Message Detail
Terms and general info:

Base: Base damage of technique (byte 2 of technique data)

TF: Technique factor--damage multiplier of technique (low 4 bits of byte 3 of technique data)

LF: Level factor--function of attacker's skill level. Function is different for each skill category, always basically an S-curve. For weapons, LF = 2~3 at level 0, 26~39 at level 49 (there's a big discontinuous jump at level 50 for most weapons) For unarmed and for all attacks by enemies, LF goes from 0 at level 0 to 22 at level 50.

Number of hits: The high 4 bits of byte 3 of the technique data indicate the total number of blows. Each blow can hit or miss independently. If all blows miss, the attack fails. Otherwise, the number of successful hits is then used in the damage calculation. Note that only the base damage gets multiplied by the number of hits; the portion of damage based on your Strength and Weapon Power is the same whether the whole attack connects or just one blow.

DEF: If an attack has multiple damage attributes then the attribute to which the target has the lowest Defence is used. For example axe techs (and Smash) use the target's cut or bash Defence, whichever is lower.

---

Damage formula for weapon attacks

A = 4 * Base * Number of hits
B = (STR * 8 + 50 - LF) * LF * TF / 32
C = (WP - DEF/2) * (LF + TF + (STR - 19)/2) / 2
Raw Damage = A + B + C + random(1~(Level * 3))

For smallsword and bow attacks, just replace STR with DEX. Note that all those "uber" techs that do insane damage as your level increases (Split Body, Round Slicer, Yoyo, etc.) use a totally different damage formula. Which I haven't figured out yet.

Damage formula for unarmed attacks

A = 4 * Base * Number of hits
B = sqrt(STR * AGI) * LF * TF
C = (STR - 19)/2 * (LF + TF)
Raw Damage = A + B + C + random(1~(Level * 3))

Again, the throws use a totally different damage formula. Which I haven't found yet.

Defence formula

Damage = Raw Damage * (128 - (DEF + VIT/2)) / 128 - DEF * 2

I think this formula is used by pretty much every damage calculation in the game.

Coming soon: Damage formulas for uber techs, earthquake-type techs (yep, they use their own formula), magic,...

---
To get what is not yours is the steal.

Zach Keene
14 years ago#2
From: Alex Jackson | Posted: 6/24/2004 1:17:59 AM | Message Detail
Just by looking at the tech data, here's my best guess at how the "uber" techs work:

Byte 2 of the tech data is the index of the technique whose parameters and formula are actually used to calculate the damage. Byte 3 is the initial number of attacks, and byte 4 is the number of levels it takes to add one attack. If the "target all" flag in byte 6 is set, each attack strikes a different enemy, otherwise they all strike the same target and the damage is totalled.

Examples:

Afterimage Sword: FF 12 01 0A 80 24 ...

Performs Rude Sword (technique 12h) to one target plus one for every 10 levels.

Deadly Spin: FF 38 02 14 C0 04 ...

Performs Tomahawk (technique 38h) twice plus once for every 20 levels to the same target, and totals up the damage.

Trishooter: FF 06 03 64 20 A4 ...

Performs a regular spear attack (technique 06h) to three targets plus one for every 100 levels (since the maximum level is 50, in practice it always attacks just three targets)

Zach Keene
14 years ago#3
From: Alex Jackson | Posted: 6/24/2004 3:49:06 PM | Message Detail
Well, I've already found a bug with the "repeater" techs: They don't ever load in the attacker's Strength or Dexterity. Instead, whatever happens to be sitting in that address gets used in the accuracy and damage calculations. In most cases, this seems to be the Strength/Dexterity/Magic of the previous character (or monster) to attack--whichever stat they used to calculate the damage of their attack just gets carried over.

RS2 also had bugs of this sort all over the place. Good to see the 2nd Division kept their standards up :)
Bump.
With the right kind of logic you can prove anything.

User Info: Solis_Invictus

Solis_Invictus
14 years ago#5
Errr... I know this is going to sound really dumb, but isn't the maximum level for weapon proficiency 40?

Zach Keene
14 years ago#6
Nope; it's 50.
My FAQs - http://www.geocities.com/arcanelore2001/

Zach Keene
14 years ago#7
LF: Level factor--function of attacker's skill level.

LF chart now available here:

http://www.geocities.com/arcanelore2001/articles/rs3lf.txt

User Info: Khajiit Rankin

Khajiit Rankin
14 years ago#8
So you get nothing for last levels of magic :(
Khajiit Rankin's site alpha version:
www.geocities.com/khajiitrankin

User Info: Swordsman_Dias

Swordsman_Dias
14 years ago#9
Useful information.
"In the name of the Maiden of Light!!! Repent!!!" -Prier of La Pucelle, doing her Sailor Moon impression

Zach Keene
14 years ago#10
Bump
  1. Boards
  2. Romancing SaGa 3
  3. Damage Formulas Return!