How the "Skip Final Emperor/Empress" bug works

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Romancing SaGa 2
  3. How the "Skip Final Emperor/Empress" bug works

User Info: killerb255

killerb255
5 years ago#1
One of the archived threads here had a few people asking how it works.

Because not every one of the Seven Heroes triggers a Black Screen after defeating them, you want to save those Heroes for last.

1) Defeat Wagnas, Bokuohn, and Rocbouquet in any order. Those three will trigger Black Screens. This means:

a) Defeating Rocbouquet with a male Emperor, as a female Emperor could potentially cause Rocbouquet to not want to fight you at all, and she'll be left for the penultimate battle, causing the whole trick to go bust.

b) Defeating Wagnas earlier than usual. He's a hard sonofa***** to fight that early!

Now that you have three Heroes down, keep in mind that the fourth Hero will normally trigger the Final Emperor/Empress following a Black Screen, Emperor LP-kill, or Party Wipe. Here's how to avoid doing so:

2) Finish the quest to get Subier to appear in the Sunken Ship. Fighting Subs the normal way (the Icy Ocean) will trigger a Black Screen after the fight--fighting him on the Sunken Ship will not. Just get the Sunken Ship to appear (making sure you killed the Master of Ocean as well)--don't fight Subier just yet!

a) Note that the Sunken Ship quest overrides the Mermaid quest, so if you want to do the Mermaid quest, get it done early!

b) Also note that the bridge needs to be built and a generation needs to pass afterward in order to get Coppelia, so if you want her/it, plan accordingly!

3) Do any non-Hero quests that trigger Black Screens now. You won't be able to do so after defeating your fourth Hero without being given the Final Emperor/Empress! Also, make sure you have the Emperor/Empress/Emp...thing that you want for the rest of the game! Save a Time Jump for:

a) After you finish all your research. You'll need the Time Jump to actually benefit from it!

b) After you've learned all the techniques you want to learn. You won't be able to add any more techniques to the technique instructor/dojo menus from this point on.

c) Getting Coppelia as your final Emp...uh...ress, if you want. This requires getting her in your party now, trigger one more Black Screen to Time Jump, and select her when prompted.

4) Try to get Dantarg to spawn in the Bard's Grotto or during the Child & Baby Moo quest. Bard's Grotto won't trigger a black screen, and Child & Baby Moo will not as long as you don't actually complete the quest (meaning don't talk to the kid or the cow behind Dantarg himself).

a) If the Targ spawns in the wrong spot, load your last save and try doing something else to get the RNG to spawn him somewhere else. Otherwise, go ahead and beat the Targ.

Four down, two to go! From this point on, you cannot trigger any more Black Screens! You must survive the entire way as well with the Emperor that you have! Any Black Screen, Emperor LP-kill, or party wipe will trigger the Final Emperor/Empress!

This means no more Time Jumps, so no more research or new techniques at the dojo!

5) Beat Sunken Ship Subier or Noel next. For Subs, do NOT talk to the Diver afterwards, or else this will trigger a Black Screen! Unfortunately this means the Diver character will not be available in this playthrough.

Five down! One more to go!

6) Beat whomever's left of SS Subs or Noel. Again, no Diver for you!

Now, after defeating the sixth Hero, you'll automatically be teleported back to the Avalon throne, and the final dungeon will open up! Even at this point, a Black Screen/Party Wipe/Emperor LP-kill will still trigger the Final Emperor, so you have to go all the way with what you have!!!

The penultimate battle in the final dungeon will be Kujinshi Reborn, so don't forget Dodge Soul Steal!!!

User Info: killerb255

killerb255
5 years ago#2
In a nutshell, the whole point is to avoid triggering the "Final Emperor" flag. The Final Emperor flag overrides the normal Time Jump point system rule (i.e.: 1-7 points = no Time Jump; 8-14 = might get a Time Jump; 15+ = guaranteed Time Jump).

The Final Emperor flag is basically the Honey Badger of the mid-90s. Final Emperor doesn't care. Final Emperor doesn't give a ****!

Overall, this involves a lot of pre-planning. There are so many ways to screw yourself over. This includes:

1) Trying to fight Rocbouquet with a female Emperor. This causes the whole trick to go to hell, since she won't want to fight you until the final dungeon, there's no way to trigger Hero fight #6 and the final dungeon without involving Kujinshi Reborn, and there's no way to fight Kujinshi Reborn before the final dungeon without triggering the Final Emperor.

2) Waiting too long to do the Mermaid quest. Although that quest isn't that important in the grand scheme of things, it is nice having the guaranteed Time Jump for research and other purposes.

3) Talking to the guy that builds Coppelia/the helicopter/the bridge too late. If he builds the bridge, and it gets trashed, you'll have to finish the Sunken Ship (meaning fight Subier) before you can get Coppelia, which means she can never be your Emperor.

4) Not getting all of your research done (including Dark Magic if you want it) and your techniques before fighting the fourth Hero. Remember, Time Jumps are necessary to actually benefit from research and for the dojo to store techniques!

User Info: sidogi

sidogi
5 years ago#3
If you have a female emperor, you should still be able to fight Rocbouquet inside the sunken tower.

User Info: Elliott20

Elliott20
5 years ago#4
nice! Will give this try in my next run.

User Info: KCMike21

KCMike21
5 years ago#5
I think I will try this as well. I've *never* actually used Coppelia...I seem to always forget about her until my party is full. I think I'll go for her next time, as well as making her my Final Emperor. Anyone have advice about using her?

User Info: Elliott20

Elliott20
5 years ago#6
Well the biggest one thing I can think of is that you need to make sure you have all of your final techs ready before you do that. She's a type 7, which means she does not spark any techs at all.

The second thing is she has a 15 in MAG and 15 in DARK which means that her casting power is around 15, which is pathetic. So all of her spells, if she is to carry any, should be one shot wonder utility focused. i.e. stat boosts and shields.

Her bread and butter will be in her ability to beat the tar out of the enemies with her fists or a physical weapon.

Out o the box she actually comes with some martial arts tech. And with a STR and SPD score of 20 each, she's actually not too shabby with it. But again, they are not the best techs possible. Since all of her stats other than MAG and DARK are 20s, you really could just stick any weapon you want on her and she'll do alright with it. (Just make sure you already have the techs to back it up)

User Info: Alex Jackson

Alex Jackson
5 years ago#7
Completing the game without the Last Emperor isn't really a bug, just a natural consequence of RS2 being a nonlinear game. It would be a bug if, for example, the Last Emperor appeared in the ending even though you never got him, but that doesn't happen, the game handles ending with another character completely gracefully. It even has alternate ending dialogue for the Emperor if it's one of the classes that uses informal speech.

The "premature Last Emperor" mentioned in another thread isn't a bug either, it's definitely something deliberately programmed into the game. Your savefile keeps track of all the characters who have been Emperor, both to show them in the ending and to prevent you from having the same Emperor twice. If a character has already been Emperor, they will never appear again on the candidate select screen. Because of this rule, if you keep killing off Emperors, eventually you'll run out of candidate characters (naturally, it'll take longer the more classes you've unlocked). When this happens, the Last Emperor will appear no matter how much or little progress you've made in the game.

If you want to talk about bugs, how about the one where you go to Cumberland before its king invites you? You can't take the boat from Somon to Douglas (or at all) until you've beaten the Canal Fortress scenario, which is also the trigger for the Cumberland scenario. However, you can take the boat in Miles. To get to Miles before the Canal Fortress, work your way south from Avalon completing all the scenarios up to the first Nazelle dungeon. Clearing the first Nazelle dungeon lets you get to Toba. From Toba, take the boat to Mermaid. In Mermaid, hear about the witch's cave, go there, and buy anything from the witch. Doing this unlocks the desert. From the desert, you can walk to just about anywhere in the world.

If you go to Cumberland before you're invited, the story flags get a little screwy. I don't remember all the details but I think the king can die twice, for example. Also, the Cumberland scenario is one that progresses on its own if you leave (or die) and come back, but this auto-progression only happens when you take the boat from Somon or Miles to Douglas. If you enter Cumberland by land through the Wall (have to beat Bokhohn first) or from Tsukijima (have to open the strait passage with the Privateer) everything will be just as you left it.
Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

User Info: sidogi

sidogi
5 years ago#8
Alex Jackson posted...
Completing the game without the Last Emperor isn't really a bug, just a natural consequence of RS2 being a nonlinear game. It would be a bug if, for example, the Last Emperor appeared in the ending even though you never got him, but that doesn't happen, the game handles ending with another character completely gracefully. It even has alternate ending dialogue for the Emperor if it's one of the classes that uses informal speech.

Most players I've seen mention this would also agree that it isn't a bug for the same reasons you gave.

The "premature Last Emperor" mentioned in another thread isn't a bug either, it's definitely something deliberately programmed into the game. Your savefile keeps track of all the characters who have been Emperor, both to show them in the ending and to prevent you from having the same Emperor twice. If a character has already been Emperor, they will never appear again on the candidate select screen.

Characters who have already been emperor won't show up as candidates after a time jump or total wipe, but they can still appear if you arrive at that screen by some other means. Thus, you can have the same emperor multiple times and, depending on the character, fill up the entire timeline with just one character.

User Info: ShootThatWay

ShootThatWay
5 years ago#9
I'll try this out after I complete my Premature Last Emperor run through.

Am I suppose to get two of each of the Emperor's equipment?
I got two Day Blades, the armor, the shirt and accessory. Which I find odd, as it sent those items to the storage. Oh well, makes things easier.

I was able to vanquished all the heroes, except the Wagnas and Subier. I don't think it's possible to fight Subier, as the prerequisite scenario isn't popping up. :x
I think I was able to finish most, if not all, the scenerios that fade into the next year.

Wagnas is going to be hard, I can feel it.

User Info: ShootThatWay

ShootThatWay
5 years ago#10
Err, I meant all scenerios available. It seems my only choice is to fight Wagnas.
  1. Boards
  2. Romancing SaGa 2
  3. How the "Skip Final Emperor/Empress" bug works

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived