You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
4 weeks ago#341
Hmm... I should take a look to make sure nobody else had loyalty oddities.

And there are differences between watched an unwatched battles, but there have always been differences, even in vanilla. An unwatched battle obviously takes much less real time, so the game must be using a simpler simulation.

If I'm actively playing, I watch all foreign battles so I can see who was captured and whether the governor is down to five soldiers (plus the battles are more entertaining!). If I'm testing a mod, though, I skip all battles to speed things up... and if I changed the map but haven't finished implementing it, then watched battles may soft-crash the game due to a force having nowhere to place soldiers!
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
Ceterum autem censeo Gamefaqs separandam esse.
After I noticed Huan Jie and Jiao Chu, I decided to check the rest of the officers in the other scenarios. As far as I can see, no one else starts out with a loyalty above 100.

Sometimes, I just simulate on fast forward and then slow down to see the battles out of curiosity (in both your patched versions and the vanilla game.) It would be interesting to find that battle formula; I can't imagine it takes things like terrain into context, but I do wonder what role war, training, and arms have. I can't think of any way to reliably test it though. While I don't have any hard proof, it seems like the number of soldiers is much more important without viewing battles. Because of the AI's very aggressive use of reinforcements, viewing battles can get some really chaotic things when the CPU gets into multi-month battles.

On a related note, I have noticed that the CPU will not beat itself using the difficulty 4 trick with battle turned on, only with battles turned off, at least in my experience.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Questors

Questors
3 weeks ago#343
I was stunned to come here and find activity on this game just days old.

Hello!

It looks like I have some reading to catch up on.

DragonAtma
3 weeks ago#344
Hello, and welcome to the RoTK2 board! Even the unlikeliest games have activity and even mods.

if you enjoy SNES's Gemfire, I released a mod there as well.
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).

DragonAtma
2 weeks ago#345
And then, there was NSF2 1.beta.3.1! As always, you only need to use one ips (depending on the original's filesize), not both.

http://download938.mediafire.com/ao29capw1pwg/5rg88arom4xpzmg/NSF2+1_beta_3_1.zip

Huan Jie and Jiao Chu are in their natural scenario 1 state (hidden). In addition, a pixel typo on Leng Bao has been fixed.

---

Team-Wu, any luck with the 216-starters limit?? To my knowledge that's the only remaining issue. Also, if you're up for a bit of programming, I have a request to make after the starting bug is fixed: inheritance lines (so, for example, Liu Shan can inherit before Liu Feng despite having lower ambition). My proposal is this:

(1) Change family numbers to exact numbers instead of a bit field (so someone with family byte x0015 is considered a member of family x15 instead of a member of families x0001, x0004 and family x0010). There are no multi-family officers, so there's no need for a bit field. That would let us handle 255 families instead of 16 (letting us include unexpected families like Kuai Liang -> Kuai Yue), plus that would free up a value for every officer for future use.
(2) Assign 8,160 bytes (32 each for 255 families) for inheritance. Bytes 1-32 are family 01, bytes 33-64 are family 02, etc.
(3a) If a ruler dies and their family number is not 00, run through the appropriate group of 16 until you find the guy who died. If he doesn't show up in that group of 16 (due to Atma mismodding) treat the inheritance as if he had no relatives.
(3b) Starting there, run through the line again (wrapping around if needed) until you either find a suitable member (alive and the same force), or you bump into the dead guy again. In the first case, that guy's the heir. In the second case, treat the inheritance as if he had no relatives.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Questors

Questors
2 weeks ago#346
Possible dumb question(s) incoming: Is there a way to patch SNES cartridges? A flash writer?

My personal favorite version of RoTK is IV on SNES. If anyone does or were to make mods, I would completely enjoy realizing a mod that would allow one to,
1. Delete created generals
2. Contain face changes and add new faces to the line up
3. Have a way to get all Warlords more active. Some sit there for 50 years, attack once, win or lose, that's it.

User Info: admtanaka

admtanaka
2 weeks ago#347
Are the Xiahous related to the Caos?
"Sometimes nothing's a pretty cool hand"
-Cool Hand Luke

DragonAtma
2 weeks ago#348
It's certainly possible; Cao Cao's father Cao Song was known to be a foster child of Cao Teng (one of Emperor Huan's favorite eunuchs), so he may very well have not been a Cao. Other adoptions in the era included Liu Feng (originally Kou Feng) and Zhu Ran (originally Shi Ran).

Of course, if you go back far enough, they're certainly related. For example, scientists think there's a very good chance every caucasian on the planet is descended from Charlemagne -- which would make every caucasian on this board (extremely distantly) related to me. Hello, my sixtieth cousins!
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: cybercrud

cybercrud
2 weeks ago#349
admtanaka posted...
Are the Xiahous related to the Caos?

According to the Biography of Cao Man, the adopted Cao Song's original family name was Xiahou. In fact it is said that Cao Song is Xiahou Dun's uncle, making Dun and Cao Cao cousins. Cao Ding, his uncle might also have been an adopted Xiahou, but there is strong evidence that because of the adoptions that Cao Ding and Cao Cao are not blood related. But regardless if that is true or not, the Xiahous and Caos are related by marriage in multiple instances. Cao Cao's niece, (his sister, the Marquis Ai of Haiyang's daughter) married Xiahou Yuan's eldest son Xiahou Heng. Likewise, Cao Cao's daughter, Princess Qinghe married Xiahou Dun's son Xiahou Mao. Regardless, it is said that Cao Pi mourned the death of Xiahou Dun as if he were family -- which in my opinion he was. Further evidence of this, which I just found out, was that a Cao family tomb was inscribed with the name Xiahou. If they weren't related, it seems to me that all of these coincidences would not exist.

User Info: admtanaka

admtanaka
2 weeks ago#350
It might be a use case to allow an officer to be in multiple families.
"Sometimes nothing's a pretty cool hand"
-Cool Hand Luke