You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
4 weeks ago#331
I'm glad you like the changes; I'll make sure to fix all of those bugs in the next release. As for Sun Quan and such not autojoining, since I adjusted death dates (Sun Jian will normally live to 67+) I set his descendants to join him... forgetting that he's not around in scenario 2. Fortunately, I can fix that.

Unfortunately, the next release of NSF2 may be delayed until the scenario 4 fix is in. Sorry. :/

And as for moving Liu Yao and Wang Lang and such, I don't see that happening until NSF3; I don't want to get mired in feature creep. However, I did already plan on making those changes, which will include new forces...
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
Ceterum autem censeo Gamefaqs separandam esse.

User Info: Team-Wu

Team-Wu
3 weeks ago#332
TLDR: I am making at least some progress on identifying the problem for the employed officers cap bug.

Unnecessary Info:

The chain of employed officers inside ram looks fine until reaching the last officer within the officer cap (which in NSF2 scenario four is officer number 68). This officer's ram data has an erroneous value for its next_officer_ram_address field (the value is $F204). Each officer row in ram is 21 bytes long, and the ram address of the next officer in the chain is contained in the first two bytes of each ram officer row. For officer number 68's data row, the value of that field (next officer ram address) is $F204. The game treats this location as the beginning of the next officer row. But this is not a proper location for officer data.

In fact $F204 happens to be the ram address where the start of the rulers/factions ram table is (each row in the table represents a faction and has a length of 34 bytes). So this leads to an officer row being included that is composed of junk data. For example, the junk row has an invalid officer number of 12850 (hex: 0x3232), because the two bytes holding the officer number are actually supposed to be used to keep some of Faction 0's hostility values, and 0x32 (decimal 50) is the default value for hostility.

Now having the junk officer row share locations with the factions table is enough of a problem, but there is another side effect as well. For every faction in the factions/rulers ram table the first two bytes of its row hold the ruler's ram address (for that faction). But now the two bytes that contain the ruler_ram_address field are also mapped to the next_officer_ram_address field in the junk data officer row. This means that the junk officer row causes the chain to be improperly diverted to the ruler of faction 0.

In this scenario that officer is Cao Cao (officer number 0 of course). That causes Cao Cao (and Cao Cao's home province) to be added to the ram chain for the second time. All of the employed officers in Cao Cao's home city province are included in the chain. After this the chain moves forward to the next province (and the next faction at least in this case).

For more detail about the layout of officer rows and faction rows in ram, see the first two posts of Darkmoon's Par codes thread at https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/588628-romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-ii/70015768.

So to wrap up: the inclusion of a junk officer row (via a next officer ram address set to $F204) is at least part of the problem with the artificially low cap for employed officers.

I'll look into it some more and see if i can figure out the cause.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

DragonAtma
3 weeks ago#333
A while back I added another officer (Order Ender) so I wouldn't have to banish someone to the Never Appears Slot the way Sun Liang was in Vanilla, but if that's not needed anymore, Order Ender may be causing problems.
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).

Team-Wu
3 weeks ago#334
Thanks for letting me know, but I don't think that would be a problem here.

Team-Wu
3 weeks ago#335
After wading into the koei bytecode again (and getting a better grasp of how the ram data is set up after scenario initialization) I think this may not be quite as daunting as I thought it would be. I'll have to see how it goes though of course.

DragonAtma
3 weeks ago#336
Good luck; I can't help with the coding, but I can still work on the other parts of NSF2!

DragonAtma
2 weeks ago#337
So Jin Xuan and Gong Zhi decided to go camping. When they woke up in the middle of the night, Jin Xuan turned to his friend and said, "Gong Zhi, tell me: what do you see?"

Gong Zhi replied: "From the stars, I see tomorrow will be a beautiful day. From the moon, I see this this is an auspicious season. From the boards, I see Atma is releasing 1.Beta.3. From the hills, I see this is where we crushed Cao Cao and Liu Bei's army. From the animals, I see this is a prosperous land. Master Jin, what do you see?

Jin Xuan stared at his friend for a moment. "Gong Zhi, someone has has stolen our tent!"

---

So after a wait that took too long, NSF2 1.beta.3 is out!
http://download2268.mediafire.com/k0g7oq8lqaig/2f1kdvzqxjdtcr4/NSF2+1_beta_3.zip

* Dong Min's face has been fixed; a couple dozen others have been slightly improved as well.
* Wu Lan is hidden in scenario 1 as he should be (sorry, Wu Lan fans)
* Liu Qi and Sun Yu are both active and serving in scenario 2.
* Through dragon ingenuity, Sun Yi/Quan/Huan autojoin Sun Jian in scenario 1, Sun Ce in scenario 2, and (in Sun Huan's case) Sun Quan in scenario 3.
* Provincial stats for scenario 2's provinces 15, 17, and 18 have been fixed.

Scenario 4 is still unplayable, but everything else should work fine!

I may or may not have taken a Sherlock Holmes joke and changed the names.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

DragonAtma
2 weeks ago#338
Update: There was a slight hitch with 1.beta.3, so here's the slightly updated version:
http://download2265.mediafire.com/djijsu2p9ijg/rkb9lfdd4dyk9c1/NSF2+1_beta_3.zip

Assume it's 1.beta.(3.001) or something.

DragonAtma
5 days ago#339
So how's 1.beta.3 going for you? Any problems?
Finally got around to looking at the new update today. So far, I've been seeing plenty of new faces with no problems.

The only problem I could find was that in scenario 1 Huan Jie and Jiao Chu's loyalties are in the 250s.

As an aside, what differences occur if you simulate the game without viewing battles as opposed to viewing battles? It seems like when I set it to view enemy battle, there's a bit more variety to how things play out, whereas not viewing them generally ends in the big name rulers crushing the small ones quickly and bringing things to a stalemate.