Hex editing: Changing the overworld map

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Romance of the Three Kingdoms II
  3. Hex editing: Changing the overworld map

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
4 years ago#1
So, it's the final step to making completely new mods: changing the overworld map. Now, there are still a couple annoying limitations, but it's certainly doable. Behold, a proof of concept:
https://www.mediafire.com/?ud5c4brvs9j565b

As always, it assumes you have the standard 512-byte header. Also, as it's just a proof-of-concept, it doesn't do much; it merely makes province 1 adjacent to provinces 6 and 8.

So, what do we have to do for what can be changed so far? Six things!

(1) Obviously, you need to draw (and import) the new map!
(2) You need to update the province minichart. Basdically, it shows how provinces are arranged on a grid of 8 columns and 9 rows. Here's how they're lined up in vanilla:
https://www.mediafire.com/?s8w8pwg4366i3jc
(3) You need to update the 1AE94 distances. Basically, this (72 columns, 41 rows) is the minimum number of provinces a messenger would have to travel. In the vanilla version the province 4 column would, for example, have a 0 in the fourth row (since you're already there), a 1 in the third, fifth, and seventh rows (since those three are adjacent to province 4), and so on.
(4) You'll almost certainly need to edit 32B94 battle maps to reflect the different map. I went lazy, in the proof of concept (so the Sea of Bohai exists in battle maps but not the overworld map), but surely you can do better!
(5) You'll need to mark 31F16 where troops start on battlemaps.
(6) You'll need to edit 19DAE borders for invasions, movement, etc.

Do all six, and you'll have a fully playable mod with a different world map!
So far, however, there are two caveats.

(Caveat 1) Although you can change where province numbers are drawn and even what spots blink, I have not found a way to change what tiles are used in the blinking -- which means that instead of them being numbered [1] [2][3] etc. they'll be numbered [gibberish][gibberish][gibberish]. So for now, visual province numbers shouldn't be changed.
(Caveat 2) Every province is filled in with the same floodfill you've been using in ms paint for years. Although I know where on the map the floodfill spots are, I have not found a way to change what the floodfill spots are. So each province will have to include both its number and its vanilla floodfill spot. For reference, the floodfill spots are here:
https://www.mediafire.com/?ddd17p3daigvodf

if I find a workaround for either caveat, I'll let you know. If any of you find a workaround for either caveat, plus let us know! And if you have any questions or anything is unclear, ask away!

EDIT: Whoops, I missed a needed change!
My NES, SNES, and GB all work just fine. Why should I downgrade to a Wii U, PS4, or XBone?

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
4 years ago#2
...and to clarify, the province minichart is at 118BE.
My NES, SNES, and GB all work just fine. Why should I downgrade to a Wii U, PS4, or XBone?

User Info: jununhere

jununhere
4 years ago#3
This is great info! Question regarding the first part, maybe this has been covered before, but how would I go about drawing and importing the new map?

User Info: Cao_Bao

Cao_Bao
4 years ago#4
Maybe DragonAtma should start a new site;
Hopefully you share your knowledge so it will attract many people to create new mods.

--
DragonAtma has create a new site of RoTK;
DragonAtma has overthrown the ruler and taken power.

User Info: Cao_Bao

Cao_Bao
4 years ago#5
Replace the map with L'Empereur map?
Yuan Shao area will be Russian,
Liu Zhang area will be Spain,
Ma Teng area will be English,
And guess what? Napoleon area maybe Dong Zhuo's or Liu Biao's.

--
Mi Fang: "how if replace with world map?"
Cao Bao: "maybe universe map will be more interesting! The messengers will be startreks."
  1. Boards
  2. Romance of the Three Kingdoms II
  3. Hex editing: Changing the overworld map

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived