• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Romance of the Three Kingdoms II
  3. Hex-editing: Adding custom officers

User Info: ErikoChristy

ErikoChristy
5 years ago#1
This is for those who are having a hard time on what to do. The objective is to replace a palette swap face officer with a portrait of one of the daughters or an extra portrait which is used when creating a new ruler. In this example with Diao Chan replacing Zhang Zi, I'll go through it step by step but this can be done in any order you like with any officer of your choice. Credits goes to Marsil79 for the idea, jununhere for helping me on finding how to see the daughter portraits, and DragonAtma for the notes.

You need to change the officer name. Zhang Zi name is at 14e74. Put Diao.....Chan here with that amount of spaces. Locate the bytes that are used to create the officer age and portrait. Zhang Zi is at #128D3. 9D is for his age and the portrait bytes are 4D 9E. Simply replace the 9D with the year you want the officer to be born then switch the 2 bytes with the face you would like (DF 00 looks more like her portrait from ROTKIII) to use. For the starting loyalty, Zhang Zi is located at 11FCA and the 6 bytes are 50 FF FF FF FF FF. Change 50 with the number you would like the officer loyalty to begin at. The status for intel/war/charm of Zhang Zi is located at 133a1. All you have to do is change the 3 bytes to the number you want the 3 status to be.

As far as compatibility, family, trust, honor, and ambition go, you will only need to make an edit here if you're adding the officer to a certain family line or if you are going to base their whole status on something else. Now you should have a custom officer http://postimg.org/image/422d7w5cj/ with no errors, as far as I'm concern. If you decide to use any of the new ruler portraits, remember to edit out the portrait bytes with a new palette swap face in case you want to use it only one time for the game.

User Info: Cao_Bao

Cao_Bao
5 years ago#2
Many years ago I hexedited RoTK2 PC.
There is a file taiki.dat (contains future/hidden generals each scenario, example: scenario 1 Zhao Yun will appear in year 190 in province 3, Ma Chao will follow Ma Teng in 191, Zhuge Liang in province 16 in 196, etc), and I replace it with a much larger file and I renamed it taiki.dat.
Then I copied all data in former taiki.dat and paste into the latter taiki.dat file.
And I added lots of new generals:
1. Sons of famous generals
(Gongsun Xu, Liu Yang, Liu Li, Liu Chen, Cao Fang, Cao Mao, Cao Huan, Sun Xiu, Sun Hao, Zhuge Zhan, Zhuge Shang, Sima Zhou, Sima Yan, Sima You, Sima Wang, Guan Yi, Guan Tong, Taishi Xiang, Yue Chen, Xu Yi, etc)

2. Generals of Wei Kingdom, Shu Kingdom, Wu Kingdom, after 220 A.D
(Xu Zhi, Du Yu, Yang Hu, Wen Yang, Lu Kang, Jia Chong, Huang Hao, and many others)

3. Generals who didn't appear in earlier scenarios
(Scenario 1: Yang Feng, Gao Shun, Hou Cheng, etc, Zhang Lu, Yang Ang, Yang Song, etc, Lu Kuang, Lu Xiang, etc, Deng Ai, Guanqiu Jian, Niou Jin, Wen Qin, etc, Meng Huo, Meng Yao, etc; scenario 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc)

After finished and try beta testing, the officers of scenario 2-6 are overlapped and messed up; for example: one general show up twice, so you can have two general with same face same stats and same starting province; another messed up is a scenario which hidden/future generals shows up very late in the game.
I think the problem is the code which separated scenario 1 and scenario 2, and so on. Because I don't know the code and where the code is.
(Where is the code for the main.exe call taiki.dat data)

Anyone can help me?

Cao_Bao
5 years ago#3
My former plans is:
Scenario 1:
If you play Dong Zhuo, you will also have Hou Cheng, Wei Xu, Hao Meng, Xu Si, etc in your search, or they autojoin Lu Bu.
If you start in province 29, you can search for Zhang Lu and his gang.

Scenario 1-4:
If you play Yuan Shao scenario 1-2, you can search for Lu Kuang and Lu Xiang.
If you play Cao Cao, you can search for Deng Ai, Guanqiu Jian, Niou Jin, Wen Qin, and many other missing officers.
If you reach certain year, in province 36 you can search for Meng Huo and his gang.

Scenario 1-6:
After you reach year 221, Wei Wu Shu generals will appear;
So in year 240+, the map is still full of people.
Wish to have Sima Yan as winner/unifier of China.

Miscellaneous:
1. Gongsun family will be a great threat for Yuan Shao:
(Gongsun Fan, Gongsun Xu, Gongsun Kang, Gongsun Gong.)
2. Sons of famous generals:
(Guan Yi, Guan Tong, Zhang Shao, Zhang Zun, Ma Cheng, Ma Qiu, etc.)
3. The great Sima family:
(Sima Zhou, Sima Wang, Sima Yan, Sima You, etc)
4. The great Zhuge family
5. Cao family and heirs
(Cao .. Cao ... Cao ... Cao ... Cao ...; aargh too many Caos).

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
5 years ago#4
One (well, two) problems: northeast china had two gongsun families, not related to each other:

(Province 2) Gongsun Zan, Yue, Xu, (Fan).
(Province 1) Gongsun Du, Kang, Gong, Yuan, (Huang, Xiu, Mo).

The names in parentheses were the less-important family members.

Also, according to the KMA entry on Gongsun Yu -- http://kongming.net/encyclopedia/Gongsun-Yu -- apparently Gongsun was a common name in northeastern china at the time; they doubt Gongsun Yu was related to either of the two families, although he did recruit Gongsun Du and treat him almost like a son...
My NES, SNES, and GB all work just fine. Why should I downgrade to a Wii U, PS4, or XBone?

ErikoChristy
5 years ago#5
Cao_Bao posted...
My former plans is:
Scenario 1:
If you play Dong Zhuo, you will also have Hou Cheng, Wei Xu, Hao Meng, Xu Si, etc in your search, or they autojoin Lu Bu.
If you start in province 29, you can search for Zhang Lu and his gang.

Scenario 1-4:
If you play Yuan Shao scenario 1-2, you can search for Lu Kuang and Lu Xiang.
If you play Cao Cao, you can search for Deng Ai, Guanqiu Jian, Niou Jin, Wen Qin, and many other missing officers.
If you reach certain year, in province 36 you can search for Meng Huo and his gang.

Scenario 1-6:
After you reach year 221, Wei Wu Shu generals will appear;
So in year 240+, the map is still full of people.
Wish to have Sima Yan as winner/unifier of China.

Miscellaneous:
1. Gongsun family will be a great threat for Yuan Shao:
(Gongsun Fan, Gongsun Xu, Gongsun Kang, Gongsun Gong.)
2. Sons of famous generals:
(Guan Yi, Guan Tong, Zhang Shao, Zhang Zun, Ma Cheng, Ma Qiu, etc.)
3. The great Sima family:
(Sima Zhou, Sima Wang, Sima Yan, Sima You, etc)
4. The great Zhuge family
5. Cao family and heirs
(Cao .. Cao ... Cao ... Cao ... Cao ...; aargh too many Caos).

I'm 100% sure that it's possible to edit in those family bytes so a certain general will auto join the officer at a certain. I replaced Sun Yu with Sun Shang Xiang and the auto join part still worked with the new stats change and face I edit it with.

Cao_Bao
5 years ago#6
But I was not changing people, I was adding more people.

In my "BKoAC version of RoTK 2", I was changing all RoTK 2 people with BKoAC people (face, stats, family, compat, etc); and I don't have problems with autojoin or searchable and so on (coz the total sum of officers in each scenario is not changed).

But in my hexedited RoTK 2; I was adding more people,
So the sum of officers change from how many hundred into max 255 officers in scenario 1 taiki.dat
I think the problems comes when the total sum of hidden people is changed; but my wish is to add more people :(

Can you help me with this?

(For example; I wasn't change Sun Yu with Sun Xiu; I let Sun Yu still existed, and I add Sun Xiu)

--
Mitsunari: "Numbers, numbers, numbers, what's next?"
Yukimura: "Honor!"

DragonAtma
5 years ago#7
The snes version has an issue; there's only so much space allocated to officers. Int/war./charm data, for example, has other officer data (compatibility, family data, expansionism, etc.,) immediately before it, and advice on actions ("That general will not readily join us", etc.) immediately after it. If you wanted to add more officers (instead of just replacing some) you'd have to do some massive changes, and it would certainly require a far better programmer than me!

The PC version may not suffer from that problem, but since I only have the snes version I can't help you much on that. ;)
My NES, SNES, and GB all work just fine. Why should I downgrade to a Wii U, PS4, or XBone?

ErikoChristy
5 years ago#8
It would take a skilled programmer on finding a way to manually add officers without the need to replace them. I also have the SNES version of the game and emulator, so I can't help with any programming with the PC version. Now all that is remaining is to find how to edit the auto byte for an officer to auto join at a certain year.

Cao_Bao
5 years ago#9
My reasons to add officers is:
1. Scenario 1 has no:
Yang Feng, some Lu Bu's followers (Gao Shun, Hou Cheng, Wei Xu, Xu Si, Hao Meng, etc), some Zhang Lu's group (Zhang Lu, Zhang Heng, and five legendary Yang generals), etc.
2. Scenario 1 and scenario 2 has no:
Niou Jin, Shang Long, Lu Kuang, Lu Xiang, and several others.
3. Scenario 1-4 has no:
Meng Huo team, Deng Ai, Guanqiu Jian, Wen Qin, etc.

And...
Scenario 2-6, there is no Wang Lang (in the novel and history, Wang Lang live until 220+), this person is legendary, why only appears in scenario 1.

Another reasons is:
After year 240, many province become empty coz the officers mass death.
Somehow three kingdoms era ends in 280 with the unification of Jin.
So within 240 until 280, there should be some many more officers appears.
And I'm interested to appoint sons of many famous generals, and several great later generals.

DragonAtma
5 years ago#10
It shouldn't be THAT hard to make Zhang Lu, Hua Xiong, etc. available in scenarios they don't normally show up in.

But adding Lu Kang, Du Yu, and other "not in ANY scenario" officers without removing anyone would be a pain.
  1. Boards
  2. Romance of the Three Kingdoms II
  3. Hex-editing: Adding custom officers
  • Topic Archived